By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What 3rd party exclusives can MS realistically buy for Next Xbox

What developer / publisher will MS most likely pay for exclusives?

EA 62 40.26%

Activision 27 17.53%

Ubisoft 2 1.30%

Bethesda 12 7.79%

Capcom 4 2.60%

Square Enix 5 3.25%

Epic 21 13.64%

2K 5 3.25%

Other 15 9.74%

Total:153
VGKing said:
No 3rd party developer is stupid enough to have a game exclusive to 1 platform. This goes especially for already established franchises. Have you see how Bioshock and Mass Effect sell? The sales don't match the hype and reviews.

When it comes to 3rd parties developing for one system it comes down to how big and experience the developer is for the multiple systems they want to devlelop for.  It cost a lot of money, time and resources to develop for more than one platform.  Sometimes publishers will contract out that work to another developer.  What you are probably thinking is no BIG time publisher will commit to just one platform as that can limit their profitbility.  A developer on the other hand is best to concentrate on one system as trying to release a game on many different hardware because it splits your time and development for the number of people you have and can reduce the quality of your games.

There are plenty of developers that only concentrate on one or 2 platforms.  Also MS has their own IPs sitting around waiting for MS to either have internal team or external teams get to work on.

I do agree that established IPS that are multiplat already will not be up for grabs.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
No 3rd party developer is stupid enough to have a game exclusive to 1 platform. This goes especially for already established franchises. Have you see how Bioshock and Mass Effect sell? The sales don't match the hype and reviews.

They sell more than some 1st party exclusives... And looking at Squenix I think you are wrong. Or is FFXIV also on Xbox? Didn't some say FFXIII would have sold more if it had been a Sony exclusive?

Also, it all depends on money. If MS pays enough they can buy anything they want.

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:
Well in theory they could buy anything they please. Everything has a price. I hope they do.... Could be funny.

It's no different to buying up a studio.

Let's use Black Ops 2 as an example. The game sold 10million+ on PS3. For Microsoft to make that exclusive they would have to pony up $600million dollars. Of course this doesn't take into account the cut that retail gets so in reality Activision wouldn't get the whole $600m. But still, its a high price to pay and that doesn't even include DLC sales. Then you have to factor in the damage this would do to the brand on that platform and the fact that not everyone will buy an Xbox to play COD. It's also worth considering that those $10m Black Ops 2 sales on PS3 wouldn't have tansferred to the 360 version.

So in order for this to be worth it for Activision, Microsoft would need to pay per game. So $600m * 5 games over 5 years = $3Billion

So no, Microsoft can't really buy EVERYTHING. Not everything is up for sale.

Everything has its price, your figures are ludicrous.

But I don't for one minute think they would even try to buy COD.  They don't need to. 

They can't. Activision isn't stupid.

Machiavellian said:
VGKing said:

When it comes to 3rd parties developing for one system it comes down to how big and experience the developer is for the multiple systems they want to devlelop for.  It cost a lot of money, time and resources to develop for more than one platform.  Sometimes publishers will contract out that work to another developer.  What you are probably thinking is no BIG time publisher will commit to just one platform as that can limit their profitbility.  A developer on the other hand is best to concentrate on one system as trying to release a game on many different hardware because it splits your time and development for the number of people you have and can reduce the quality of your games.

There are plenty of developers that only concentrate on one or 2 platforms.  Also MS has their own IPs sitting around waiting for MS to either have internal team or external teams get to work on.

I do agree that established IPS that are multiplat already will not be up for grabs.

This gen will be easier than ever to port between platforms.

BenVTrigger said:

So with reports flying everywhere that MS is aggressively pursuing 3rd party exclusives and the their check books are wide open, what are some games / franchises that are actually obtainable for them?

All evidence points to them already aquiring Respawns new game.

Bethesda games?

EA?

Ubisoft games?

A Japanese developer?

Either way May 21st and E3 should be very interesting

Evidence ?

One thing is certain : Respawn game will not be present at XboxEvent : 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
Machiavellian said:
VGKing said:

So basically you think MS wont retain any 3rd party exclusives, can't attract any 3rd party exclusives and cat buy any 3rd part exclusives.

What a surprise.  

When the hell did I say that?

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
Machiavellian said:
VGKing said:

So basically you think MS wont retain any 3rd party exclusives, can't attract any 3rd party exclusives and cat buy any 3rd part exclusives.

What a surprise.  

You said they couldn't buy any in response to me. But that dosn matter because my statemrnt is covered by this statement you made:

"No 3rd party developer is stupid enough to have a game exclusive to 1 platform. This goes especially for already established franchises"

That seems pretty final.  I imagine it doesn't apply to anything Sony related though...... Obviously. 

I said they couldn't buy any as in whatever they wanted. How did you take this out of context? My comment was pretty clear.

@bold
Yes this is what I wrote. I stand by it. I even provided examples of games like Bioshock and Mass Effect which underwhelm with their sales.

Microsoft can give them all those companies an offer they cant refuse, money talks, but the relationship i would like to see is with capcom, i think they might be in the best position to bridge the gap between japanese and western influences, i can see them developing games that can do well in both markets, if given the freedom, i like my games western with just a hint of japanese love, only my opinion.

"We're in the business of making money" said by every company ever known

Sweep said:
BenVTrigger said:

So with reports flying everywhere that MS is aggressively pursuing 3rd party exclusives and the their check books are wide open, what are some games / franchises that are actually obtainable for them?

All evidence points to them already aquiring Respawns new game.

Bethesda games?

EA?

Ubisoft games?

A Japanese developer?

Either way May 21st and E3 should be very interesting

Evidence ?

One thing is certain : Respawn game will not be present at XboxEvent : 

Of course they wont.  MS is showing the next COD at the XboxEvent.  No way they would show both an Infinity Ward game as well as Respawn in the same conference.

Theyll save the Respawn reveal for E3, 4 weeks later

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
Machiavellian said:
VGKing said:

What a surprise.  

You said they couldn't buy any in response to me. But that dosn matter because my statemrnt is covered by this statement you made:

"No 3rd party developer is stupid enough to have a game exclusive to 1 platform. This goes especially for already established franchises"

That seems pretty final.  I imagine it doesn't apply to anything Sony related though...... Obviously. 

I said they couldn't buy any as in whatever they wanted. How did you take this out of context? My comment was pretty clear.

@bold
Yes this is what I wrote. I stand by it. I even provided examples of games like Bioshock and Mass Effect which underwhelm with their sales.

So no exclusives 3rd party games next gen then, except from stupid developers. 

The big publishers won't have AAA games with huge budgets exclusive to one platform. We'll probably see some indie titles and some risky new IP though.

Basically, don't expect the Battlefields, FIFAs or Call of Duties to be exclusive to any one platform. Not even timed.