By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Just Won Japan: Nintendo Puts out 2007 Wii release List

ckmlb said:
The old Nintendo franchises aren't gonna get new people to buy a Nintendo console, but they will sell a lot to people who own Wiis, attracting new people to get a Wii will be the games that are new franchises that are Wii specific (Wii Sports).

I'd also add that unreleased Nintendo franchises (the Marios, SSB and Metroid fans out there) are a reason some  people are still waiting for these games to be released before buying their Wiis.

This is the same argument that PS3 and Xbox 360 have: Once the Devil May Crys and Halos are released, sales should pick up because fans are waiting for their favorite games, which are still in development limbo.

I'd like to see how the release of the aforementioned franchises helped boost console sales in the past, but it seems the comparison charts are still down?

Around the Network

TheSource said:

Steve, I agree with your sentiment..but one of the reasons I wrote "Wii Just Won Japan"..is because major gaming markets don't just switch from throwing major support from one manufacturer to another very often.

In Japan it essenetially went..

1983-1994 NES, SNES - Dominant in Japan.

1995*-2006** PS1, PS2 Dominant in Japan

*1995-1996 Transition from SNES to PS1 with bad SNES-N64 transition

*2006 Transition from PS2 to Wii, bad PS2-PS3 transition

2007- ? Wii, ?

Therefore, it is important to recognize the rarity of the current changes in Japan if they only happen once per decade or so...

In other words, MOMENTUM. Like I said before.

NOW do you see why I'm so sure about AT LEAST 20 million sold?

Summer brings in Wii's online with titles that are probably more able to bring in more diverse players to GO online. None of the "noob, leet, owned" crowd but grown folks able to play a game with people much like Yahoo online games and online poker goes. This is a giant boost. DS's power is ONE because it was the first to go wireless. Before all those cumbersome wires really dragged down the interplay. FPS's online make audience but when fresher genres like arcade cartoon soccer and animal crossing/sims type games get in there you can call it a day. Madden in Wii format online is asking for whoop"arse" on the competition. That's the FIRST big boost.

That first big boost carries all the way to fall time when the next holiday season gets started and Wii's reputation is immense now. Will be moreso by then. All kinds of titles and all kinds of variety by then online and off. The blockbusters guaranteed to layeth the smacketh down & just everybody wanting to gift someone they know with a Wii to make up for not getting one sooner or because of the last Christmas rush.

More long Wii lines a'coming. It's momentum exponentialized!

Nintendo is NOT gonna miss out on this money. The supply will be amped up properly. They will STILL fall short because they've built the fever beyond a fever pitch. You are looking at DS in Japan scenarios all over again.
Super Smash Bros. ALONE will cause frenzy. Sadly we might hear people getting shot over Wiis this XMas. I hope not. EBayers will make a mint one more time with Wii.

And wait until DS to Wii connectivity is put into practice.

My best case scenario is actually 24 million sold-through by end year. But they will certainly sell 20 million by end of this year. The Source is very conservative. He's looking at holiday time when Wii passes the competition. Wii passes them this summer, this July & by the end of the year Wii will be well on its way to becoming the greatest selling system of all time. Also going on to be a cultural phenomenon.

The only thing Nintendo has to do is produce them. That's all. It's simply money in the bank & just think. That conservative ¥1.14 trillion yen sales estimate will be blown out of the water. $9.6 billion American dollars is actually the LOW number. Record profits are coming for the big N & people are just gonna have their socks blown off by the success Nintendo's about to have. The developer shift will be permanent and Wii and its so-called low power will be the norm. The go-to device. Money talks and BS walks. It's simply a truism in this world.

Japan is ALREADY owned by Nintendo and Sony's grip with PS2 is fading. What people don't realize is that the WORLD is about to owned by Nintendo systems. They will prove again that they ARE the industry not just in it. They went back to their roots and stop trying to keep up with the joneses and that is why they are back in fullform. The Wii is the 2nd coming of the NES/Famicom and beyond. New competitors will enter the ring after this generation, that's a guarantee.

I'm sure some of these will be pushed back. I never fully trust a Nintendo release list but I don't mind the delay thanks to Miyamoto's bad game philosophy. Take your time. I know it will be good when you finish baking. Track record speaks for itself. All you gotta know is making conservative estimations of Nintendo's future will come up short. They are about to put the gaming world into another orbit with sales, profits & outreach. It simply prints money.

I will be playing Wii Baseball this week with my 84-year old landlady. She actually asked to play it again. Game over, man. Game over.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

John Lucas, while I still feel a bit overloaded by your optimism, I gotta admit your posts make for interesting reads. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said:
Here's what we do know : Square has confirmed that they will "not put all of their eggs into one basket" via an interview around or before launch time of the PS3/Wii. Square has also confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII will be a series of games that take places across multiple games and multiple consoles, the first two of which are on PS3, obviously. There are supposedly 2-3 unknown SE Final Fantasy games to be announced at the upcoming party, we'll know more then. Wii RPG-class games we know of : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : The Crystal Bearers (Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Swords (Square-Enix) Opoona (Toei, wasn't it?) Sword of Legendia? (Bandai-Namco) Unnamed RPG from Konami (PLEASE BE SUIKODEN VI!) Unnamed Action RPG from From Software (I pray for a Mech-style RPG!) There was also a rumor that Monolith, who Nintendo just bought, was also planning an RPG for Wii (despite still working on Disaster : Day of Crisis). We also know that Strategy-RPG maker Nippon Ichi is now developing Wii/DS games, and rumor has it they canceled a PS3 project (they said they were working on one at one point, but nothing has been confirmed in regards to that project). Fire Emblem 10 has already been released in Japan, Dragon Quest Swords is due in July, and Opoona has been suggested for a Fall release. To my knowledge none of the PS3 RPG games have been given a release frame/date yet.

Is it confirmed which platform Tales of Legendia is for?

For Wii, it's called "Sword of Legendia" (Tales of Legendia is already a PS2 game) and a lot of people are thinking it would be like Dragon Quest Swords.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network
roadkillers said:
Well I never heard that yet but if Square Enix did say that it could mean another game for the DS not the Wii. But anything is possible. I heard from credible sites that Nintendo almost went the way of the Dreamcast. Maybe they were wrong but thats what I was baseing my opinion off of.

I also recall SE saying that Nintendo fans should wait for SE announcements. But indeed, what is coming for the DS and what's for the Wii is still a mystery. We'll have to wait and see. I doubt that Nintendo would have went the way of Dreamcast, or even the way of Sega, but extinction of Gamecube indeed was pretty close (was it 2004), for the same reason why Dreamcast died. Lack of 3rd party support. EA was about to abandon GC, but Nintendo managed to make a deal with EA, by cutting the license fees. Infact, EA originally was planning not to support Wii.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Diomedes1976 said:
omgwtfbbq said:
WiiGirl76 said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Sony has one last roll of the dice in Japan, FFXIII

If this game does worse than Square-Enix and Sony expect, then quite simply, Sony is gone. There are no other major releases for Japan, and every game that was expected to sell heaps has failed. Third parties in Japan will desert them like a burning house, and they will never catch the Wii.

If FFXIII does well, and moves a lot of consoles, there will still be a possibility of resurgance, it will be very difficult, and they most likely won't win, but they will do well.

Eh that's not true, FFXIII is not the only seller for the PS3, would be unfair to say that only "one" game can make the PS3 survive.

This is the weekly famitsu's most wanted listed for last week, now don't say there aren't enough most wanted PS3 games in the list, I count 8:

1. (1 / 2) Dragon Quest IX NDS Square Enix 2.979
2. (2 / 1) Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Square Enix 2.795
3. (3 / 3) Resident Evil 5 PS3 Capcom 2.097
4. (5 / 4) Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 Konami 1.646
5. (6 / 7) Monster Hunter 3 PS3 Capcom 1.288
6. (9 / 8) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass NDS Nintendo 1.064
7. (10/ 9) Super Robot Taisen PS2 Banpresto 1.009
8. (7 /12) Odin Sphere PS2 Atlus 972
9. (14/11) Everybody's Golf 5 PS3 Sony 885
10. (11/10) Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Wii Square Enix 872
11. (8 /17) Devil May Cry 4 PS3 Capcom 838
12. (12/14) Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 Microsoft 809
13. (13/16) Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings NDS Square Enix 806
14. (15/13) Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii Nintendo 786
15. (19/15) Animal Crossing Wii Nintendo 713
16. (16/18) Shining Wind PS2 Sega 703
17. (20/19) Final Fantasy Tactics PSP Square Enix 678
18. (18/20) Final Fantasy Versus XIII PS3 Square Enix 643
19. (17/21) Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII PSP Square Enix 638
20. (23/23) Gran Turismo 5 PS3 Sony 546

sure these games are wanted for those people who have PS3's, but personally, I don't see any of them really moving a $600 console. The last Resident Evil game and all Metal Gear Solid games didn't even sell a million on the PS2 in japan, I don't think they're going to be the games that will move a $600 system.

That Top 20 is the Top 20 of Famitsu ,not the top twenty of the PS3 users as you would like it to be .Second the console doesnt cost 600 in Japan .Eight out of the Top 20 is a impressive number and when these games start to appear the word of mouth and the sales will increase dramatically .

On other note it is funny to hear some nintendo fans repeat all the Nintendo franchises that didnt help the N64 and the Cube to compete as "proofs " that the lineup of Nintendo is superstrong and will obliterate the competition .Those games sell to a determinate market ,the Nintendo fans that have followed those franchises and that are already buying the console .

Last time I checked Gundam Musou was on this list too, and it didn't blow anyone away in sales. Granted it's not FF or mgs but nonetheless the point is just because your on this list doesn't mean you'll be a system seller. Secondly I don't believe Wii Play or Sports ever made it too the list, I believe this list is for total hardcore fans of existing franchises, like FF, so huge sellers like Wii Sports/play never showed up, but did sell the system and millions of units.

About the GC and those big franchises not selling the system, they did, but only a little. They by themselves sold millions of units, but in the end they weren't enough to make the GC a big seller in Japan. So I think the point is being made that despite the success that FF and MGS and such will see on the ps3 they are no garuantees for putting the ps3 back on top.

And seriously number one this christmas will be Smash bros in Japan. And I think Wii health/music will sell big too. 

TheSource, Fiscal 2007 ended in March. We're in Nintendo's fiscal 2008 now.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

roadkillers said:
No im pretty sure that the DS is getting more support from Square. For one the DS is getting DQIX which is huge and will probally sell more then what the PS2 version did. Plus they got ton of decent games from them and a couple of graphics upgrading remakes (FFIII). While the PSP gets 3 remakes and one origanal title. Its not bad but the DS is getting more major titles (exception is FFVII but I think thats because of the graphics power)

Roadkillers, the DS is more powerful than the PS1. SE could make FFVII for DS and improved the graphics. The DS is perfectly capable of rendering any of the PS1 era FF games. Now anything past FFIX would be problematic unless they rendered the game in 2D ala FFXII: Revenant Wings.

Even if we assume that people are buying the Wii because of its controller, they're still using that controller primarily to play Nintendo games. Yoshi's Island was a Mario game? If you say so. But we're still going back three systems.