By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Just Won Japan: Nintendo Puts out 2007 Wii release List

omgwtfbbq said:
WiiGirl76 said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Sony has one last roll of the dice in Japan, FFXIII

If this game does worse than Square-Enix and Sony expect, then quite simply, Sony is gone. There are no other major releases for Japan, and every game that was expected to sell heaps has failed. Third parties in Japan will desert them like a burning house, and they will never catch the Wii.

If FFXIII does well, and moves a lot of consoles, there will still be a possibility of resurgance, it will be very difficult, and they most likely won't win, but they will do well.

Eh that's not true, FFXIII is not the only seller for the PS3, would be unfair to say that only "one" game can make the PS3 survive.

This is the weekly famitsu's most wanted listed for last week, now don't say there aren't enough most wanted PS3 games in the list, I count 8:

1. (1 / 2) Dragon Quest IX NDS Square Enix 2.979
2. (2 / 1) Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Square Enix 2.795
3. (3 / 3) Resident Evil 5 PS3 Capcom 2.097
4. (5 / 4) Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 Konami 1.646
5. (6 / 7) Monster Hunter 3 PS3 Capcom 1.288
6. (9 / 8) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass NDS Nintendo 1.064
7. (10/ 9) Super Robot Taisen PS2 Banpresto 1.009
8. (7 /12) Odin Sphere PS2 Atlus 972
9. (14/11) Everybody's Golf 5 PS3 Sony 885
10. (11/10) Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Wii Square Enix 872
11. (8 /17) Devil May Cry 4 PS3 Capcom 838
12. (12/14) Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 Microsoft 809
13. (13/16) Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings NDS Square Enix 806
14. (15/13) Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii Nintendo 786
15. (19/15) Animal Crossing Wii Nintendo 713
16. (16/18) Shining Wind PS2 Sega 703
17. (20/19) Final Fantasy Tactics PSP Square Enix 678
18. (18/20) Final Fantasy Versus XIII PS3 Square Enix 643
19. (17/21) Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII PSP Square Enix 638
20. (23/23) Gran Turismo 5 PS3 Sony 546

sure these games are wanted for those people who have PS3's, but personally, I don't see any of them really moving a $600 console. The last Resident Evil game and all Metal Gear Solid games didn't even sell a million on the PS2 in japan, I don't think they're going to be the games that will move a $600 system. 

That Top 20 is  the Top 20 of Famitsu ,not the top twenty of the PS3 users as you would like it  to be .Second the console doesnt cost 600 in Japan .Eight out of the Top 20 is a impressive number and when these games start to appear the word of mouth and the sales will increase dramatically .

On other note it is funny to hear some nintendo fans repeat all the Nintendo franchises that didnt help the N64 and the Cube to compete as "proofs " that the lineup of Nintendo is superstrong and will obliterate the competition .Those games sell to a determinate market ,the Nintendo fans that have followed those franchises and that are already buying the console .

Around the Network

Why do people keep comparing the Wii to the GC and N64? The Wii is selling completely differently. It was obvious within the first 20 weeks the GC and N64 weren't going to sell. Demand dropped off the map for those consoles, much like the PS3. The Wii is tracking closer to the PS2, consistently high sales without little drop in demand.

We'll see most of those slip, I'm sure. Unless there's a day and a month, it's going to slip. Doesn't bother me, though. With 3rd party games included, there's already going to be plenty to do.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Diomedes1976 said:

That Top 20 is  the Top 20 of Famitsu ,not the top twenty of the PS3 users as you would like it  to be .Second the console doesnt cost 600 in Japan .Eight out of the Top 20 is a impressive number and when these games start to appear the word of mouth and the sales will increase dramatically .

On other note it is funny to hear some nintendo fans repeat all the Nintendo franchises that didnt help the N64 and the Cube to compete as "proofs " that the lineup of Nintendo is superstrong and will obliterate the competition .Those games sell to a determinate market ,the Nintendo fans that have followed those franchises and that are already buying the console .

Lots of games have made it into the top 20 games in Famitsu only to sell at unimpressive rates when released (Resident Evil 0) and most of the major releases of the past few years (Brain Training, Nintendogs, and Animal Crossing) sold tons of games and systems without ever making the list. The list gives results similar to posting a poll on a major gaming site and does not represent the views of the majority of gamers.

On your note about Nintendo, most of these games that have been listed by Nintendo fans have a history of excellent reviews and selling Millions of games on unpopular systems; Mario Kart (as an example) has sold more copies than every PS2 except for the following (on a system with 1/5 the userbase):

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Take 2 0.41 7.89 6.58 14.88
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec Sony 1.89 7.11 5.84 14.84
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Take 2 0.47 8.20 5.53 14.20
Grand Theft Auto 3 Take 2 0.36 6.55 4.69 11.60
Gran Turismo 4 Sony 1.09 2.49 4.52 8.10
Final Fantasy X Square 3.02 2.74 2.19 7.95

I'm amazed at how hypocritical you're ... You hype Killzone as a system seller even though it comes from an amazingly average game that sold very poorly yet fail to acknowlege the strenght of games with far greater ratings and sales histories.

Diomedes1976 said:

I know a lot of SNES or N64 owners who shifted to sony or microsoft. They still love the nintendo franchises and they are coming back to Nintendo at the moment. I guess a lot of them are already very interested in the wii and a good new version of old nintendo franchises will may be the final straw. Especially the multiplayer hits Mario Party, Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart have a huge potential to get them back.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:

If you think that games like Mario, Mario Kart, SSBB, Animal crossing etc. won't sell a ton you haven't 

been paying attention 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

The old Nintendo franchises aren't gonna get new people to buy a Nintendo console, but they will sell a lot to people who own Wiis, attracting new people to get a Wii will be the games that are new franchises that are Wii specific (Wii Sports).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I think that there are a lot of people just waiting for Brawl. I dont see too many people not buying a Wii already and waiting for Mario and Metroid. Of course a lot of people still cant find a Wii, so not counting them...

WiiGirl76 said:

This is the weekly famitsu's most wanted listed for last week, now don't say there aren't enough most wanted PS3 games in the list, I count 8:

1. (1 / 2) Dragon Quest IX NDS Square Enix 2.979
2. (2 / 1) Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Square Enix 2.795
3. (3 / 3) Resident Evil 5 PS3 Capcom 2.097
4. (5 / 4) Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 Konami 1.646
5. (6 / 7) Monster Hunter 3 PS3 Capcom 1.288
6. (9 / 8) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass NDS Nintendo 1.064
7. (10/ 9) Super Robot Taisen PS2 Banpresto 1.009
8. (7 /12) Odin Sphere PS2 Atlus 972
9. (14/11) Everybody's Golf 5 PS3 Sony 885
10. (11/10) Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Wii Square Enix 872
11. (8 /17) Devil May Cry 4 PS3 Capcom 838
12. (12/14) Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 Microsoft 809
13. (13/16) Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings NDS Square Enix 806
14. (15/13) Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii Nintendo 786
15. (19/15) Animal Crossing Wii Nintendo 713
16. (16/18) Shining Wind PS2 Sega 703
17. (20/19) Final Fantasy Tactics PSP Square Enix 678
18. (18/20) Final Fantasy Versus XIII PS3 Square Enix 643
19. (17/21) Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII PSP Square Enix 638
20. (23/23) Gran Turismo 5 PS3 Sony 546

It's important to note that these are 360 games as well.  Yes I know the  360 is a flop there. But with the way the PS3 is going, I wouldn't be supprised if titles like these two move a fair amount of xbox's.  By the way, has Square-Enix announced exactly what their full line of Final Fantasy games will be and where it's going? I ask this because I have a feeling the 360 will get some FF love. Possibly Versus?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

FishyJoe said:
Why do people keep comparing the Wii to the GC and N64? The Wii is selling completely differently. It was obvious within the first 20 weeks the GC and N64 weren't going to sell. Demand dropped off the map for those consoles, much like the PS3. The Wii is tracking closer to the PS2, consistently high sales without little drop in demand.

Because it helps him sleep at night.