By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Just Won Japan: Nintendo Puts out 2007 Wii release List

WiiGirl76 said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Sony has one last roll of the dice in Japan, FFXIII

If this game does worse than Square-Enix and Sony expect, then quite simply, Sony is gone. There are no other major releases for Japan, and every game that was expected to sell heaps has failed. Third parties in Japan will desert them like a burning house, and they will never catch the Wii.

If FFXIII does well, and moves a lot of consoles, there will still be a possibility of resurgance, it will be very difficult, and they most likely won't win, but they will do well.

Eh that's not true, FFXIII is not the only seller for the PS3, would be unfair to say that only "one" game can make the PS3 survive.

This is the weekly famitsu's most wanted listed for last week, now don't say there aren't enough most wanted PS3 games in the list, I count 8:

1. (1 / 2) Dragon Quest IX NDS Square Enix 2.979
2. (2 / 1) Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Square Enix 2.795
3. (3 / 3) Resident Evil 5 PS3 Capcom 2.097
4. (5 / 4) Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 Konami 1.646
5. (6 / 7) Monster Hunter 3 PS3 Capcom 1.288
6. (9 / 8) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass NDS Nintendo 1.064
7. (10/ 9) Super Robot Taisen PS2 Banpresto 1.009
8. (7 /12) Odin Sphere PS2 Atlus 972
9. (14/11) Everybody's Golf 5 PS3 Sony 885
10. (11/10) Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Wii Square Enix 872
11. (8 /17) Devil May Cry 4 PS3 Capcom 838
12. (12/14) Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 Microsoft 809
13. (13/16) Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings NDS Square Enix 806
14. (15/13) Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii Nintendo 786
15. (19/15) Animal Crossing Wii Nintendo 713
16. (16/18) Shining Wind PS2 Sega 703
17. (20/19) Final Fantasy Tactics PSP Square Enix 678
18. (18/20) Final Fantasy Versus XIII PS3 Square Enix 643
19. (17/21) Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII PSP Square Enix 638
20. (23/23) Gran Turismo 5 PS3 Sony 546

sure these games are wanted for those people who have PS3's, but personally, I don't see any of them really moving a $600 console. The last Resident Evil game and all Metal Gear Solid games didn't even sell a million on the PS2 in japan, I don't think they're going to be the games that will move a $600 system. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
shams said:
Here is what Nintendo *could* release in 2008: - Mario Kart - Pikmin Wii - Nintendogs Wii - Animal Crossing - Pilotwings - Golden Sun Wii - Luigi's Mansion II - Fzero Wii - WaveRace Wii - ExciteTruck II - Mario Party 9 - New DK platformer - Starfox Wii - Pokemon Adventure Online etc... Plenty of potential titles left for 2008 in my books. Ignoring anything new as well...

I think we don't have to fear that there is nothing left for nintendo to release after 07. This list already shows some potential hits and then we have the mario sports games which could be huge on the wii because of the controls and as shams said, there will also be some new ip's aswell.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I keep hearing about FFXIII moving systems. I have no doubt that it will. The problem is that FFXIII isn't hitting PS3 until mid to late 2008. Thats a long way off. Who knows what Sony's Japanese market share will be by the time FFXIII sees release? MGS4 doesn't have the pull in Japan that it does in the west. When I think of MGS4 sales on PS3, I think about how Twilight Princess sold on Wii. TP didn't sell poorly in Japan but it also didn't touch the games sales in US and Europe. MGS4, judging by the prior MGS titles, will most likely share a similar fate.

The Saturn and the PS1 were in a virtual dead heat when FFVII hit Japan in 1997. It was the game that finally tipped the scales in the PS1's favor. I don't think FFXIII can pull off a similar feat. The Saturn was more expensive than the PS1 and as I've said, their sales virtually even. By the time FFXIII hits, the Wii will be the cheaper console with a massive lead. FFXIII could certain close the gap, but I think Sony would need DQX if they wanted to have a chance of overtaking Nintendo in Japan.

kber81 said:
vanguardian1 said:
kber81, it's rather easy when you aren't interested in any of the 3 games you mentioned. And don't diss a game you know so damned little about. For all we know Disaster : Day of Crisis may be one of the best new IP's of the year. :p

Sorry, but I think you don't know much more than I. I think even re-edition of Tomb Rider for PS2 may be much more impressive than this. Few screens I've seen looks really poor but someone mention that these were from very early version of the game. I think it would be tough for this game to gain some appreciation from Wii's users. I believe impressive sales of Wii-sports, Wii-play and Super Paper Mario shows they want simply stuff. The question is how do you define success. If you expect something like Red Steel I think it will work but something more is unlikely as for me.

This game at least made Nintendo to buy the company that is developping it, and the last company nintendo bought was Retro Studios...

And you seem to contradict yourself. At first, you state that nintendo has nothing to compete against Halo, GTA and MGS, but if you see a game which could attract the same userbase you say it will sell bad on the wii... Well of course you're right and it won't sell as much as, for example, Super Mario Galaxy, but if it is great it probably will sell a good amount of consoles.

Nintendo needs to captivate on the popularity they have with the Mii's and make more games revolving around the Mii's and the Wii stuff, not Mario and their classic IP's. While Mario is popular, people would rather use their Mii's in sports games than the cutesy Mario characters (at least the new players / non Nintendo fans). Plus I didn't say this originally but Nintendo won Japan as soon as Dragon Quest IX was announced for DS. Nintendo has DS and Wii on top for the rest of this year in Japan no ifs no butts, and I think they will have Japan for all of next year too the way things are going. Dragon Quest IX just jumped catastrophically in the 'wanteds' as well since SqEnix announced that it's turn based rather than real time (i think they got a lot of negative backlash about real time). Anyway... Nintendo has Japan in the bag for 2007 nothing can stop them there, anyone that argues that this isn't true is plain flat out wrong, and will be proven wrong when the year is over, NOTHING can turn it around (even if anyone doesn't think the list looks that great which is fair, it's still going to own Japan very easily).

Around the Network
OriGin said:
Nintendo needs to captivate on the popularity they have with the Mii's and make more games revolving around the Mii's and the Wii stuff, not Mario and their classic IP's. While Mario is popular, people would rather use their Mii's in sports games than the cutesy Mario characters (at least the new players / non Nintendo fans). Plus I didn't say this originally but Nintendo won Japan as soon as Dragon Quest IX was announced for DS. Nintendo has DS and Wii on top for the rest of this year in Japan no ifs no butts, and I think they will have Japan for all of next year too the way things are going. Dragon Quest IX just jumped catastrophically in the 'wanteds' as well since SqEnix announced that it's turn based rather than real time (i think they got a lot of negative backlash about real time). Anyway... Nintendo has Japan in the bag for 2007 nothing can stop them there, anyone that argues that this isn't true is plain flat out wrong, and will be proven wrong when the year is over, NOTHING can turn it around (even if anyone doesn't think the list looks that great which is fair, it's still going to own Japan very easily).

They announced that it will be turn based? That's great news! I had some concerns when i heard it should be real time, even if i like the tales-series.

and btw, i absolutely agree with you.

Yeah the turn based announcement has made me want the game SO much more now, I simply can't wait until this baby is in my hands. I like tales, but turn based is better :D I sound like a Nintendo fan saying that Nintendo has won Japan but i can assure you that I'm not but it's just the fact of the matter, Nintendo owns Japan this year and nothing can stop them on DS or Wii, trends don't change overnight in Japan and there is nothing that is going to do anything for the PS3 or PSP right now. Monster Hunter 2 was pretty much all Sony had for PSP this year that would REALLY make a difference (i foresee a similar difference on PS3 when FXIII comes out - but again it was just a small blip).

EDIT _ DAMN double post, oh well ad more. BTW I think Wii Health and Smash Bros will be the biggest games in Japan this year (for consoles). DQIX will walk away with the handheld sales. More than Pokemon? Probably not because that includes two games, but it'll be close.

Some new DQIX screens thought they'd be nice - Jpw awesome is the character, world and ESPECIALLY the Character Equip design... OMFG (okay i'm done whoring this thread) 

Lingyis said:

that's a lot. what's left for 2008?

they must have even more new IPs in development if they don't need to hold back.

or maybe hardware upgrade... who knows. 

Animal crossing, Mario Kart, Pikmin, etc.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)