By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Just Won Japan: Nintendo Puts out 2007 Wii release List

In all likely hood, asside from games announced pre E3 (like Final Fantasy), it's quite likely that the Wii and DS will be seeing the lions share of future Square Enix Announcements. For one thing, we're already seeing it. For another, well, it just makes sense right now for them.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

The Wii is on track to sell 3 million a few weeks before the PS3 sells one million... and yet you guys are trying to suggest that the PS3 can still come back... you realize that nintendo could have a 5 million lead on Sony by the time any of these PS3 system sellers are out right? And you realize that almost no game has ever moved more than 1 million systems, let alone 5, right?...

Star Ocean to Wii?

No im pretty sure that the DS is getting more support from Square. For one the DS is getting DQIX which is huge and will probally sell more then what the PS2 version did. Plus they got ton of decent games from them and a couple of graphics upgrading remakes (FFIII). While the PSP gets 3 remakes and one origanal title. Its not bad but the DS is getting more major titles (exception is FFVII but I think thats because of the graphics power).

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

You're right... by a LONG shot. PSP Already Released * Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable * Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth * Final Fantasy I In Development * Final Fantasy II * Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- * Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War DS Already Released * Children of Mana * Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime * Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (Japan) * Egg Monster Hero (Japan) * Final Fantasy III (Nintendo DS) * Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (Japan) * Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales * Front Mission 1st (Japan) * Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (developed in conjunction with Nintendo) In Development * Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Sky * Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates * Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Fūketsu no Grimoire * Heroes of Mana * It's a Wonderful World * Itadaki Street DS I think it's yet to be seen which way SqEnix will go with PS3 and Wii. I believe FF main game will stay exclusive to PS, but who really knows, I just don't think that FFXIII is enough to catch up the PS3, it's ONE game, one game isn't enough.

Around the Network

The big problem is that no one looks at the potential for these games objectively. Look at historical precedents and guess how many copies big games can actually sell. I'll do some key ones.

Game name Best-case scenario / Fairly realistic expectations / Worst-case scenario

Wii Play 30+ million / 17.5 million / 10 million

Zelda: Twilight Princess 6 million / 5 million / 4 million

Super Mario Galaxy 12 million / 9.5 million / 7 million

Wii Health Pack 10 million / 3 million / less than 1 million

Metroid Prime 3 3.25 million / 2 million / 1.5 million

Super Smash Bros. Brawl 8 million / 7 million / 5 million

Animal Crossing Wii 8 million / 4 million / 2 million

Mario Kart Wii 9 million / 7 million / 5 million

Nintendogs Wii 6 million / 2.5 million / 1 million

F-Zero Wii 1.5 million / 750K / 250K

Pikmin Wii 2 million / 1.25 million / 750K

Only if you put guesses out there at the actual sales potential of games can we discuss which games are important or not. Anything which does under 3 million units can't really be called a "killer app," as far as I'm concerned.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

By the time the FF13 is released it will be too late. Nintendo will have a 5M+ lead in Japan and at least 10M+ WW. PS3 will get 2-3 weeks of better sales, then back to

Here's what we do know : Square has confirmed that they will "not put all of their eggs into one basket" via an interview around or before launch time of the PS3/Wii. Square has also confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII will be a series of games that take places across multiple games and multiple consoles, the first two of which are on PS3, obviously. There are supposedly 2-3 unknown SE Final Fantasy games to be announced at the upcoming party, we'll know more then. Wii RPG-class games we know of : Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : The Crystal Bearers (Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Swords (Square-Enix) Opoona (Toei, wasn't it?) Sword of Legendia? (Bandai-Namco) Unnamed RPG from Konami (PLEASE BE SUIKODEN VI!) Unnamed Action RPG from From Software (I pray for a Mech-style RPG!) There was also a rumor that Monolith, who Nintendo just bought, was also planning an RPG for Wii (despite still working on Disaster : Day of Crisis). We also know that Strategy-RPG maker Nippon Ichi is now developing Wii/DS games, and rumor has it they canceled a PS3 project (they said they were working on one at one point, but nothing has been confirmed in regards to that project). Fire Emblem 10 has already been released in Japan, Dragon Quest Swords is due in July, and Opoona has been suggested for a Fall release. To my knowledge none of the PS3 RPG games have been given a release frame/date yet.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

DRJ said:
By the time the FF13 is released it will be too late. Nintendo will have a 5M+ lead in Japan and at least 10M+ WW. PS3 will get 2-3 weeks of better sales, then back to <10k/month. And I heard something about FF13 having like 6 games that would be spread across multiple systems. So no doubt Wii and DS will get at least 1 each. And if they have much better sales SE will continue to support them and lessen support for Sony.

PS3: XIII, Versus, and one secret one (I think they have a secret one)

PSP: One game (another guess)

DS: Im pretty sure they announced one for it

Wii: Didnt square just patent a name for the Wii one?

There may be more then 6 because its suppost to last 10 years so 10 games?

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

DRJ said:
By the time the FF13 is released it will be too late. Nintendo will have a 5M+ lead in Japan and at least 10M+ WW. PS3 will get 2-3 weeks of better sales, then back to <10k/month. And I heard something about FF13 having like 6 games that would be spread across multiple systems. So no doubt Wii and DS will get at least 1 each. And if they have much better sales SE will continue to support them and lessen support for Sony.

yup square has already said they are gonna be a free agent this time, and with the Wii having the largest user base, and the gap widening fast in Japan i can't see how they can ignore it.  I remember Square saying that Nintendo fans should look forward to the square party, pretty sure something is gonna be announced there. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X