By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Heavy Rain cost €16.7 million to make and made Sony "more than €100 million"

crissindahouse said:
adriane23 said:

LOL is this where all the Xbox fanboys congregate? Why would they even talk about a game that's not on their console on a site that's specifically for their console?

you know, most people on this forum do nothing else, they talk about consoles or games they don't own.

i even think all of us do it here.

and many people own more than one console so yeah, even if they are in such a forum they can still own another console.

but wtf? i thought xbox republic was something on vgchartz, why does the banner on that site look almost like the banner in the sig of some here and is already years old?

There was a guy on youtube who got banned from there for liking PlayStation. I dont know if it was mld who banned him though

Around the Network
enditall727 said:

There was a guy on youtube who got banned from there for liking PlayStation. I dont know if it was mld who banned him though

really? that's just sad and laughable... but when you click the link there are also some who defend the sales of the game and some even said they own it, maybe the guy has to ban more lol.

GeneralMLD is sales2099. Luckily he's more reasonable here than anywhere else on the internet lol

Augen said:
So, some dumbed down math here for me.

It sold ~2 million copies
It cost 16.7 to produce and 23.3 to market; total being 40 million Euros
It made more than 100 million Euros
Thus, a profit of at least 60 million Euros on selling ~2 million copies

Stories like this make me wonder how other games struggle to make money in similar situations. This model seems to be very attainable, if this game sold half as much as it did it still would have been profitable, correct? Why do so many developers and publishers struggle nowadays if a million units sold could make money on an expensive title? I am guessing I am missing something here.

Some dumbed down mathematics - the game costs around 50€ (sometimes more expensive, sometimes cheaper, but in general). It sold two million copies. So the customer paid 100 million €. Sony got of that - 100 million €. So the retail got no share? I claim marketing speak and comparing two numbers that aren't comparable.

That said: Hevy Rain is a success and rightfully so.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Oh lol, didn't even notice that pic was sales2099. Classic. I bet he's got some fantastic posts on that forum.

OT, nice result QD and Sony. Never got round to playing this game... 

Around the Network

sales2099 always make me laugh in our discussions... nice guy... I like him.

Lol you all have to remember that the comment in tha pic is like 3 years old and it was when MLD was more in his prime. I believe the treybrotherhood was still "relevant" then

I never joined or even visited either site though. I was always exclusive to the battlefield(youtube) lol

Is that 100 million revenue or profit?

According to vgchartz the game only sold 2.4 million units. So if Sony made $50 per unit that is 120 million american or 68 million pounds. 68 million pounds minus 40 million pounds marketing and development costs is 28 million pounds profit.  What gives?

Quantic Dream is on fire.