By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Heavy Rain cost €16.7 million to make and made Sony "more than €100 million"

enditall727 said:
bananaking21 said:
enditall727 said:

Lol you all have to remember that the comment in tha pic is like 3 years old and it was when MLD was more in his prime. I believe the treybrotherhood was still "relevant" then

I never joined or even visited either site though. I was always exclusive to the battlefield(youtube) lol

what is this "treybrotherhood"?

Trey=Triple=PS3

You've never gone on youtube and seen somebody say "Trey 4 life" before?

It was this big movement that was started by Elpresador but then he betrayed the brotherhood and bought a 360 because he only really played Call Of Duty and the map packs always came to 360 1st lol

lool i find that very hard to take seriously to be honest. and no honestly i never watch these kind of stuff on youtube. i just watch gameplay and game trailers. 

Around the Network

Some here have rightfully tried to expose this blatant lie and do their own calculations.

2.4 million copies at $30 gives $72 million in total revenue to the publisher (Sony). This assumes that all copies were sold at full price, but let's assume that for arguments sake.

Now how much did the game exactly cost including marketing? I have a hard time believing it really cost €40 million including marketing because that means over $50 million in total spend which just sounds unrealistic for a fairly "niche" game like Heavy Rain. Also, if it truly was $50 million that would only leave $22 million in profits to split between Sony and Quantic Dreams. So the €40 million (=$50 million) figure was just speculation from the Quantic guys' part.

Most likely this guy in the interview only had the €16.7 million dev cost (what his own studio spent) correct since he doesn't seem to have any clue about publisher economics. Anyway, €16,7 translates to around $22 million and if we add a more reasonable $15 million for marketing the total spend becomes $37 million. $37 million would need 1.2 million copies sold to break even, which also sounds like a reasonable original sales target for Heavy Rain.

So in conclusion, a reasonable estimation of total profit lands at $72 million minus $37 million = $35 million, which is very far from "more than €100 million" (=$130 million), but still very impressive.

bananaking21 said:
S.Peelman said:

Yes those backwards cover are pretty cool usually. However, they're not true covers and it'll just look weird. I dunno. I'd feel like cheating .

The 'platinum' boxes are the biggest offenders though, besides this yellow border they also have this horrendous grey case. The 'essentials' only have this hideous red border which is way too wide. It's not Sony's fault though, I always find these re-release boxarts an abomination and I never buy a game that has it. No matter what company. I'm strange that way I guess.

I'll just look for a Heavy Rain copy in an original box second hand. Or something

hahaha i honestly cant understand why you wouldnt buy a game just because of the boxart, its not like it really matters?! its just a boxart. you are getting the same game (maybe even more content in the essentials) and you would spend less money!

It's one of my quirks I guess. I'm more likely to buy something that has good boxart.

It is stupid I know. I just like everything to look perfect on my shelfs. If then there's one that's off and is a 'platinum' or whatever, it irritates me. I got God of War III a month ago after spending a month before that trying to find one that wasn't an 'essential' XD.

S.Peelman said:
bananaking21 said:
S.Peelman said:

Yes those backwards cover are pretty cool usually. However, they're not true covers and it'll just look weird. I dunno. I'd feel like cheating .

The 'platinum' boxes are the biggest offenders though, besides this yellow border they also have this horrendous grey case. The 'essentials' only have this hideous red border which is way too wide. It's not Sony's fault though, I always find these re-release boxarts an abomination and I never buy a game that has it. No matter what company. I'm strange that way I guess.

I'll just look for a Heavy Rain copy in an original box second hand. Or something

hahaha i honestly cant understand why you wouldnt buy a game just because of the boxart, its not like it really matters?! its just a boxart. you are getting the same game (maybe even more content in the essentials) and you would spend less money!

It's one of my quirks I guess. I'm more likely to buy something that has good boxart.

It is stupid I know. I just like everything to look perfect on my shelfs. If then there's one that's off and is a 'platinum' or whatever, it irritates me. I got God of War III a month ago after spending a month before that trying to find one that wasn't an 'essential' XD.

hahaha i honestly dont know what to say. i guess im just one of those guys who just doesnt give a fuck about most stuff and i never really cared much about the box art. currectly the thing i dont give a fuck about is my looks since im letting my beard grow as much as it wants and the only thing that would shave it now is a lawn mower

bananaking21 said:
enditall727 said:
bananaking21 said:
enditall727 said:

Lol you all have to remember that the comment in tha pic is like 3 years old and it was when MLD was more in his prime. I believe the treybrotherhood was still "relevant" then

I never joined or even visited either site though. I was always exclusive to the battlefield(youtube) lol

what is this "treybrotherhood"?

Trey=Triple=PS3

You've never gone on youtube and seen somebody say "Trey 4 life" before?

It was this big movement that was started by Elpresador but then he betrayed the brotherhood and bought a 360 because he only really played Call Of Duty and the map packs always came to 360 1st lol

lool i find that very hard to take seriously to be honest. and no honestly i never watch these kind of stuff on youtube. i just watch gameplay and game trailers. 

I found it hard to avoid because somebody would say Trey 4 life in like every video possible a while back

well atleast in the ign video reviews.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
S.Peelman said:

hahaha i honestly dont know what to say. i guess im just one of those guys who just doesnt give a fuck about most stuff and i never really cared much about the box art. currectly the thing i dont give a fuck about is my looks since im letting my beard grow as much as it wants and the only thing that would shave it now is a lawn mower

For the record, I like the design of the vanilla boxart of this game. I think it looks simplistic in a good way and has a mysterious feel to it.

I just don't want to buy a copy that has these screaming red or yellow borders.

It does look like my life depends on it now though, reading through this conversation. That's not really the case. As long as a copy of any game does not come with all those distractions, I don't let my fondness of boxart get in the way of buying something if I want it (like Luigi's Mansion 2, don't like the art, like the game, I'll just hide the box behind others). If I have the choice however, I would go with the best one (which is basically always the original release). For example, if I still wanted to buy Batman: AC on my PS3, I'd never buy the 'Game of the Year' edition, because that one would have all that useless text on it, even if it were cheaper. I don't buy 'collections' either.

Like I said, if I can find a Heavy Rain in it's original release box for a suitable price, I'll get that. Otherwise, I'll just have to be lucky enough to come across a second-hand copy (which must be of course, still in good preferably like-new condition).

I have this game but haven't gotten around to play this game.

I'm not doubting Heavy Rain was profitable. But I feel this article is misleading us on how profitable it was.

Not all the units were sold at full price.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

S.Peelman said:
bananaking21 said:
S.Peelman said:

For the record, I like the design of the vanilla boxart of this game. I think it looks simplistic in a good way and has a mysterious feel to it.

I just don't want to buy a copy that has these screaming red or yellow borders.

It does look like my life depends on it now though, reading through this conversation. That's not really the case. As long as a copy of any game does not come with all those distractions, I don't let my fondness of boxart get in the way of buying something if I want it (like Luigi's Mansion 2, don't like the art, like the game, I'll just hide the box behind others). If I have the choice however, I would go with the best one (which is basically always the original release). For example, if I still wanted to buy Batman: AC on my PS3, I'd never buy the 'Game of the Year' edition, because that one would have all that useless text on it, even if it were cheaper. I don't buy 'collections' either.

Like I said, if I can find a Heavy Rain in it's original release box for a suitable price, I'll get that. Otherwise, I'll just have to be lucky enough to come across a second-hand copy (which must be of course, still in good preferably like-new condition).

hahaha yeah i get you dont worry. i didnt think you were that extreme. if you had a choice you would care about the box art

Ail said:
Proof that being in the industry does not necessary means you know what you are talking about....

Publisher gets roughly 50% of retail sales cost.
So if the game sold 2 million copies and each copy sold for 50 euros ( close to the reality if you average us and euro price of each copy)., the publisher got in the end 50 million euros, not 100 millions......

Over 2 million copies
You're also forgetting about console owner fee

Pretty good profit. And a pretty high quality game too. Some companies like Square Enix need to take lessons from these guys on how to make a quality game and make profit from it without having to sell 1 billion copies.