By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: give the Wii U time.

oniyide said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Th3PANO said:
Gamerace said:
Aside from yes WiiU needs games...

Miyamoto's point here is absurd. Just by pushing the screen to a tablet (common device in an ever growing amount of households) PS4/720 equalize the WiiU's advantage (limited by how far you can get from the system with your wireless controller). MS will almost certainly offer this (smartglass) and Sony could copy the strategy easily.

I really don't see this being a big advantage. People are more and more watching TV off different devices as well and many homes have multiple TVs. Heck, if PS4/720 could send the picture to any smart tv in the house that would trump WiiU's gamepad for a lot of people - and that type of functionality will become standard over the next five years making Nintendo's solution appear antiquated.

Miyamoto is completely out of touch with modern technology and how the world works nowadays. The sooner he retires the better (but I hope he still designs some games).

wow, like every non-nintendo gamer you wish the company/developers to go out of buisness but in the same time you wish they go third party. that shows me every fucking time that nintendo games have a charme almost everyone appreciates.

Nintendo games are timeless and fun, which is why I wish they would go 3rd party. Its not that I hate nintendo but their consoles are horrible

I got burned with the n64 and Gamecube, while they did have some gems I missed out on alot of 3rd party games that pissed me off, never again nintendo!

you could have gotten another console...UNLESS you were like me and were too young to get one yourself and your parents had one video game system rule in place

unfortunately  I was too young and only had one console to go with those generations...

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Aiming was not faster with the mote. I didn't play Mario so I can not comment on that. Flicking your wrist wasn't the point. It was suppose to simulate actually swinging a sword or bat so flicking is a negative in my opinion

Yes it is, you can point straight to your targets instead of tracking around the screen with analogue. Flicking is still more in line with a sword swing than just tapping a button. And its the movement that feels good; it conveys connection and impact, your movement affecting the game world.

I don't know what magic wiimote you had but even now when i'm selecting something to watch on netflix the calibration is crap. I'm not pointing anywhere near the "target." to get an accurate shot I had to aim slowly due to that

curl-6 said:
Aiming was not faster with the mote. I didn't play Mario so I can not comment on that. Flicking your wrist wasn't the point. It was suppose to simulate actually swinging a sword or bat so flicking is a negative in my opinion

Yes it is, you can point straight to your targets instead of tracking around the screen with analogue. Flicking is still more in line with a sword swing than just tapping a button. And its the movement that feels good; it conveys connection and impact, your movement affecting the game world.

I don't know what magic wiimote you had but even now when i'm selecting something to watch on netflix the calibration is crap. I'm not pointing anywhere near the "target." to get an accurate shot I had to aim slowly due to that

Calibration's fine on mine; I have my TV at desk height, about 2.5 meters from my chair. Maybe the sensor bar has slipped a bit and is angled up or downwards?

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:

For me, most of the top Wii games, (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3) would not have been as great without motion controls. It also allowed for games like Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2, which were uniquely invigorating and satisfying thanks to the intense motion control. 

All Mario did was add pointer controls, that game could have easily been made without any of that stuff and still be roughly the same, i personally hate having to shake the controller to do a spin attack. That is just useless addition. TP stuff was all over the place with accuracy. SS, Resort Redsteel2...those required motion+ an addon, which is  my point why wasnt it that accurate from day 1?

Mario also added the rolling ball and stingray/bird segments as well as using the pointer in various ways, all of which added fun and variety that wouldn't have been there with mere buttons and sticks. Spinning with a flick of the remote felt fantastic, smashing an enemy or propelling Mario into the air with a flick of the wrist is viscerally satisfying in a way that a simple button press could never be.

Swordplay in Twilight Princess had a similar kick, (tho not as refined or immersive as Skyward Sword) and aiming with the pointer was so much faster and more immersive than analogue.

All that stuff in Mario could have been done with analogs and buttons as was done for years before, didnt add anything that we hadnt seen, for me it was the opposite of satisfying, but to each his own. Swordplay wasnt refined in TP at all and that was the problem, at least for me. Pointer controls...you'll get no argument from me. if a FPS has the option ill be using it. That goes for Move and wiimote(wish Wii had more games in that category that didnt suck)

Lyrikalstylez said:
oniyide said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Th3PANO said:
Gamerace said:
Aside from yes WiiU needs games...

Miyamoto's point here is absurd. Just by pushing the screen to a tablet (common device in an ever growing amount of households) PS4/720 equalize the WiiU's advantage (limited by how far you can get from the system with your wireless controller). MS will almost certainly offer this (smartglass) and Sony could copy the strategy easily.

I really don't see this being a big advantage. People are more and more watching TV off different devices as well and many homes have multiple TVs. Heck, if PS4/720 could send the picture to any smart tv in the house that would trump WiiU's gamepad for a lot of people - and that type of functionality will become standard over the next five years making Nintendo's solution appear antiquated.

Miyamoto is completely out of touch with modern technology and how the world works nowadays. The sooner he retires the better (but I hope he still designs some games).

wow, like every non-nintendo gamer you wish the company/developers to go out of buisness but in the same time you wish they go third party. that shows me every fucking time that nintendo games have a charme almost everyone appreciates.

Nintendo games are timeless and fun, which is why I wish they would go 3rd party. Its not that I hate nintendo but their consoles are horrible

I got burned with the n64 and Gamecube, while they did have some gems I missed out on alot of 3rd party games that pissed me off, never again nintendo!

you could have gotten another console...UNLESS you were like me and were too young to get one yourself and your parents had one video game system rule in place

unfortunately  I was too young and only had one console to go with those generations...

same here sacrifies have to be made. Ninty games or 3rd party. It builds character. I usually go with 3rd party

Around the Network

It really depends on hte game i think, but that in itself is kiind of a problem, their is no standard. Most of the games are horrid, some are ok and some are good. Once I tampered with GoldenEye controls(alot) i got it right where i wanted. That is a contrast to say KZ3 where i didnt have to do much tampering at all. Its all on the devs.

I wish Nintendo would stop trying to break new ground with hardware innovation, and reinvent the wheel so to speak. Just focus on what you do best, GAMES.

They probably think (like most others) that the Wii success was because of the motion controls, but one only needs to look at the success (or lack thereof) of the Move to realize that's not the case. The Wii was successful because it brought gaming back to its roots of pure, arcade style gameplay, that is easy to pick up and play for anyone. The motion controls were merely a means to an end, not the end itself.

Metallicube said:

I wish Nintendo would stop trying to break new ground with hardware innovation, and reinvent the wheel so to speak. Just focus on what you do best, GAMES.

They probably think (like most others) that the Wii success was because of the motion controls, but one only needs to look at the success (or lack thereof) of the Move to realize that's not the case. The Wii was successful because it brought gaming back to its roots of pure, arcade style gameplay, that is easy to pick up and play for anyone. The motion controls were merely a means to an end, not the end itself.

yeah because we know how motion gaming was always around back in the arcade days. And way to go comparing a console to a addon, terrible comparison. 

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:

For me, most of the top Wii games, (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3) would not have been as great without motion controls. It also allowed for games like Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2, which were uniquely invigorating and satisfying thanks to the intense motion control. 

All Mario did was add pointer controls, that game could have easily been made without any of that stuff and still be roughly the same, i personally hate having to shake the controller to do a spin attack. That is just useless addition. TP stuff was all over the place with accuracy. SS, Resort Redsteel2...those required motion+ an addon, which is  my point why wasnt it that accurate from day 1?

Mario also added the rolling ball and stingray/bird segments as well as using the pointer in various ways, all of which added fun and variety that wouldn't have been there with mere buttons and sticks. Spinning with a flick of the remote felt fantastic, smashing an enemy or propelling Mario into the air with a flick of the wrist is viscerally satisfying in a way that a simple button press could never be.

Swordplay in Twilight Princess had a similar kick, (tho not as refined or immersive as Skyward Sword) and aiming with the pointer was so much faster and more immersive than analogue.

All that stuff in Mario could have been done with analogs and buttons as was done for years before, didnt add anything that we hadnt seen, for me it was the opposite of satisfying, but to each his own. Swordplay wasnt refined in TP at all and that was the problem, at least for me. Pointer controls...you'll get no argument from me. if a FPS has the option ill be using it. That goes for Move and wiimote(wish Wii had more games in that category that didnt suck)

Yeah, I COULD have rolled Mario on a ball with analogue and spun with a button, (just like we COULD have done a lot of PS3/360 games on the orginal Xbox or PS2 if we toned them down enough) but it would take a lot of the fun out of the tasks for me. But yeah, to each is own.

Yeah, Move support made Killzone 3 one of my top 7th gen FPS games. Goldeneye and Metroid Prime 3 were up there as well for me.

Well Game and Wario is looking to be June for NA. (Gamefly)

Wonder if we'll even see 101 and Pikmin 3 this 1st half.
They might just be saving it in case either Mario Kart or 3D Mario don't make it in time.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)