By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: give the Wii U time.

Mazty said:
Viper1 said:
Mazty said:

The WIi mote on it's own I found to have noticable latency issues whether it was mario karts, wii sports, fit etc. 

Sounds like you had some IR interference.  

Average latency of the Wii remote is about 50 miliseconds.   Which is 3 frames.   On a 60 fps game, 3 frames is beyond our perception so you'd never notice any input lag.   That means you are experiencing perceptible lag, it's likely you have IR interference (which can induce signal delay) or your HDTV has a slow refresh rate creating display lag rather than input lag.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=119250

Nah I've just played too many games and pick up on 90+ms of latency quite easily. I could tell that Killzone 2 was slightly fucked for latency as it wasn't registering last second reactions and it turned out to have 100+ms of latency.

No, you don't either.   90 ms is less than 1/100th of a second.   Typical humaan reaction time is about 200 ms but this is under ideal conditions when you are looking for a very specific change.   A person cannot notice 90 ms of latency under a constant visual input circumstance unless each input is repetitive in equal time measures.

I should also note that actual Wii remote latency is about 50 ms but the Wii remote SDK allows developers to implement intentional input delay to reduce judder from gamers with shaky hands (we ALL have it we just don't perrceive it).   In other words, some games will have a higher input lag than others but the Wii remote itself is ~ 50 ms and even at 100 ms, that's too fast for constant perception with varied input gestures/IR.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Mazty said:
Viper1 said:
Mazty said:

The WIi mote on it's own I found to have noticable latency issues whether it was mario karts, wii sports, fit etc. 

Sounds like you had some IR interference.  

Average latency of the Wii remote is about 50 miliseconds.   Which is 3 frames.   On a 60 fps game, 3 frames is beyond our perception so you'd never notice any input lag.   That means you are experiencing perceptible lag, it's likely you have IR interference (which can induce signal delay) or your HDTV has a slow refresh rate creating display lag rather than input lag.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=119250

Nah I've just played too many games and pick up on 90+ms of latency quite easily. I could tell that Killzone 2 was slightly fucked for latency as it wasn't registering last second reactions and it turned out to have 100+ms of latency.

No, you don't either.   90 ms is less than 1/100th of a second.   Typical humaan reaction time is about 200 ms but this is under ideal conditions when you are looking for a very specific change.   A person cannot notice 90 ms of latency under a constant visual input circumstance unless each input is repetitive in equal time measures.

I should also note that actual Wii remote latency is about 50 ms but the Wii remote SDK allows developers to implement intentional input delay to reduce judder from gamers with shaky hands (we ALL have it we just don't perrceive it).   In other words, some games will have a higher input lag than others but the Wii remote itself is ~ 50 ms and even at 100 ms, that's too fast for constant perception with varied input gestures/IR.

Lol wrong, go and study Kendo and tell me that reaction speeds are 200ms. For anyone trained/used to doing something, mean reaction times are much lower. 
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-killzone-2-latency-tests

Just because you can't detect pad latency doesn't mean others can't. Also explain why gamers insist on lag to be <30 ms a lot of the time. The Wiimote simply put, when combined with the software, was far too unresponsive for me. 

Reaction time as in waiting for a red thing to turn blue might be 200ms, but a ping of 100ms on an online game is easily noticeable compared to a normal 30ms.

Viper1 said:

I just have to point out that 90ms is about 1/10th of a second not 1/100th.

Viper1 said:

Damn then those people who can block 4-5 frames (~60-70ms) overheads in fighting games relieable are inhumans ...
No wonder I keep losing against them :p

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Dr.Grass said:
curl-6 said:
Dr.Grass said:
curl-6 said:

But its graphics and sailing rubbed a lot of gamers the wrong way, just like Mario Sunshine being about cleaning up grafitti with a watergun on a tropical resort, Double Dash having two characters per kart, and Starfox Adventures being a Zelda clone. In terms of appealing to mainstream gamers, Nintendo seriously dropped the ball with the Gamecube, hence its low sales.

I disagree completely. The software on Gamecube was perfect. Launching with a little purple box wasn't.

I'd argue that regardless of your taste or mine, GCN 1st party software was far from perfect in terms of giving the mainstream what they wanted. (Proper sequels to Mario 64 and Starfox 64, Mario Kart being as accessible as before, a proper DK game, etc) They put a weird twist on most franchises that generally turned away more people than it attracted.

You have a point. I'm just biased because I loved Metroid:Prime so much.

I might actually be wrong on this one. A proper Mario game near launch. An adult themed Zelda (still, I loved WW as much as anyone else). More continuation from the N64 titles etc.

Yeah, the way I see it, people wanted Nintendo to continue their N64 approach into the next generation, and they didn't. (I love Metroid Prime as well, that was one they got resoundingly right)

I love all those gamecube games  but if u switch sunshine/wind waker/konga with galaxy/teilight princess/dkc returns, switch star fox adventures and assualt release dates and throw nsmb in there around 2003 then gamecube likely would have sold alot more

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, the way I see it, people wanted Nintendo to continue their N64 approach into the next generation, and they didn't. (I love Metroid Prime as well, that was one they got resoundingly right)

I love all those gamecube games  but if u switch sunshine/wind waker/konga with galaxy/teilight princess/dkc returns, switch star fox adventures and assualt release dates and throw nsmb in there around 2003 then gamecube likely would have sold alot more

Exactly.

What Nintendo has to do with Wii U is make sure they present their core franchises in the right way; give us a Mario 64/Mario Galaxy styled 3D Mario, a Twilight-Princess-esque Zelda, an accessible Mario Kart, etc.

Don't worry.

Mario ... 4D will save the system (if Mario 3D and Mario Kart and don't).

Also the next Zelda game will star Luigi.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Exactly.

What Nintendo has to do with Wii U is make sure they present their core franchises in the right way; give us a Mario 64/Mario Galaxy styled 3D Mario, a Twilight-Princess-esque Zelda, an accessible Mario Kart, etc.

I think they will, Mario Universe that does some neat things with the gamepad, for zelda even skyward sword would work to me it was q perfect blend of WW and TP graphically. As for mario kart it could easily use the gamepad as a wheel and on the screen maybe a rear view that would help to see oncoming racers. Also I would like to see New Super Mario World in 2015 that actually feels different from the last 4 2D marios. Smash can stay the same way and metroid needs to go back to yhe way retro made it

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The Wii U’s use of an integrated second screen poses a notable threat to Microsoft and Sony’s rival machines.

That’s according to design legend Shigeru Miyamoto who speaking to CNN said that the Wii U’s impact will grow considerably over time.

"The challenge that we had was if someone wanted to view television, then you couldn't play games,” he explained. “We wanted to have a second screen for Wii U that would make it possible for people to essentially play games even if something else was on the TV.

"There was a period when we first released the Nintendo DS that people would say there's no way people can look at two screens at once.

"I almost feel like, as people get more familiar with Wii U and