By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: give the Wii U time.

Dr.Grass said:
curl-6 said:

But its graphics and sailing rubbed a lot of gamers the wrong way, just like Mario Sunshine being about cleaning up grafitti with a watergun on a tropical resort, Double Dash having two characters per kart, and Starfox Adventures being a Zelda clone. In terms of appealing to mainstream gamers, Nintendo seriously dropped the ball with the Gamecube, hence its low sales.

I disagree completely. The software on Gamecube was perfect. Launching with a little purple box wasn't.

I'd argue that regardless of your taste or mine, GCN 1st party software was far from perfect in terms of giving the mainstream what they wanted. (Proper sequels to Mario 64 and Starfox 64, Mario Kart being as accessible as before, a proper DK game, etc) They put a weird twist on most franchises that generally turned away more people than it attracted.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Aiming was not faster with the mote. I didn't play Mario so I can not comment on that. Flicking your wrist wasn't the point. It was suppose to simulate actually swinging a sword or bat so flicking is a negative in my opinion

Aiming is definitely faster with the Wii mote. I've bought Resident Evil 4 on both the GameCube and the Wii and the shooting range mini-game is much much easier in the Wii version thanks to Wii mote pointer control.

Signature goes here!

curl-6 said:
Dr.Grass said:
curl-6 said:

But its graphics and sailing rubbed a lot of gamers the wrong way, just like Mario Sunshine being about cleaning up grafitti with a watergun on a tropical resort, Double Dash having two characters per kart, and Starfox Adventures being a Zelda clone. In terms of appealing to mainstream gamers, Nintendo seriously dropped the ball with the Gamecube, hence its low sales.

I disagree completely. The software on Gamecube was perfect. Launching with a little purple box wasn't.

I'd argue that regardless of your taste or mine, GCN 1st party software was far from perfect in terms of giving the mainstream what they wanted. (Proper sequels to Mario 64 and Starfox 64, Mario Kart being as accessible as before, a proper DK game, etc) They put a weird twist on most franchises that generally turned away more people than it attracted.

You have a point. I'm just biased because I loved Metroid:Prime so much.

I might actually be wrong on this one. A proper Mario game near launch. An adult themed Zelda (still, I loved WW as much as anyone else). More continuation from the N64 titles etc.

Dr.Grass said:
curl-6 said:
Dr.Grass said:
curl-6 said:

You have a point. I'm just biased because I loved Metroid:Prime so much.

I might actually be wrong on this one. A proper Mario game near launch. An adult themed Zelda (still, I loved WW as much as anyone else). More continuation from the N64 titles etc.

Yeah, the way I see it, people wanted Nintendo to continue their N64 approach into the next generation, and they didn't. (I love Metroid Prime as well, that was one they got resoundingly right)

Back it up with games

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
oniyide said:
Metallicube said:

I wish Nintendo would stop trying to break new ground with hardware innovation, and reinvent the wheel so to speak. Just focus on what you do best, GAMES.

They probably think (like most others) that the Wii success was because of the motion controls, but one only needs to look at the success (or lack thereof) of the Move to realize that's not the case. The Wii was successful because it brought gaming back to its roots of pure, arcade style gameplay, that is easy to pick up and play for anyone. The motion controls were merely a means to an end, not the end itself.

yeah because we know how motion gaming was always around back in the arcade days. And way to go comparing a console to a addon, terrible comparison. 

Uh, considering I JUST said that motion controls were NOT the reason for the Wii success, what relevence does this point make? If anything, you helped to prove my point..

Look at the most successful Wii games.. Mario Kart, NSMB, Wii Sports, Wii Play, SSBB. All share characteristics with arcade games, short burst, lots of action, fast reaction time, limited cutscenes, easy control schemes, easy to pick up and play. THESE are the types of games that sell, and by association, also sell consoles. This is the root of Wii's success. There's no great secret to it.

What's the difference if Move was an addon? It was still a motion controller, that was supposed to sell games, as well as consoles.

I know what you said, and what you said is wrong. YOu think WiiSports would have doen as well if you played it with a regular controller? YOu think WiiFit would have been possible? All those games you listed have always done well. and the newer ones were sold ON the motion controls. Do you think WIi would have done as well if it was NOT a motion control machine? Look how well WIi U is doing.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
It's very possible that the two-screen approach might inspire hardware manufacturers and software designers in the near future, but we'll have to wait and see. From the short time I've spent with Wii U, I've been very impressed with the possibilities the GamePad provides: off-screen play, asymmetrical multiplayer, and general multi-tasking. There are revolutionary ideas at work with Wii U. The question is: will the industry join the revolution?

I'd guess not. No one really unlocked the full potential of EyeToy, or Kinect, or even the Wii remote. Even Nintendo, which had every reason to explore the technology behind its own invention, only demonstrated the extent of the Wii remote's capabilities in 2011 with Skyward Sword, five years after the Wii launched.

the fact that that game required motion+ tells us all about wiimote's true "potential" I use the term loosely.

curl-6 said:
Aiming was not faster with the mote. I didn't play Mario so I can not comment on that. Flicking your wrist wasn't the point. It was suppose to simulate actually swinging a sword or bat so flicking is a negative in my opinion

Yes it is, you can point straight to your targets instead of tracking around the screen with analogue. Flicking is still more in line with a sword swing than just tapping a button. And its the movement that feels good; it conveys connection and impact, your movement affecting the game world.

I don't know what magic wiimote you had but even now when i'm selecting something to watch on netflix the calibration is crap. I'm not pointing anywhere near the "target." to get an accurate shot I had to aim slowly due to that

There's something wrong with your calibration.  You should go into the Wii controls menu and recalibrate them.  Also make sure it's set correctly for the bar on top or under and for regular or HD TV (Wider).   Wiimote accuracy should be pretty exact, far quicker and more accurate than analog, not quite mouse good but close.   Unless you have shaky hands (I always rest my arm on the chairarm or my knee) in which case it'll be a frustrating experience.

oniyide said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
It's very possible that the two-screen approach might inspire hardware manufacturers and software designers in the near future, but we'll have to wait and see. From the short time I've spent with Wii U, I've been very impressed with the possibilities the GamePad provides: off-screen play, asymmetrical multiplayer, and general multi-tasking. There are revolutionary ideas at work with Wii U. The question is: will the industry join the revolution?

I'd guess not. No one really unlocked the full potential of EyeToy, or Kinect, or even the Wii remote. Even Nintendo, which had every reason to explore the technology behind its own invention, only demonstrated the extent of the Wii remote's capabilities in 2011 with Skyward Sword, five years after the Wii launched.

the fact that that game required motion+ tells us all about wiimote's true "potential" I use the term loosely.

I don't understand what you mean.

Viper1 said:
Mazty said:

The WIi mote on it's own I found to have noticable latency issues whether it was mario karts, wii sports, fit etc. 

Sounds like you had some IR interference.  

Average latency of the Wii remote is about 50 miliseconds.   Which is 3 frames.   On a 60 fps game, 3 frames is beyond our perception so you'd never notice any input lag.   That means you are experiencing perceptible lag, it's likely you have IR interference (which can induce signal delay) or your HDTV has a slow refresh rate creating display lag rather than input lag.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=119250

Nah I've just played too many games and pick up on 90+ms of latency quite easily. I could tell that Killzone 2 was slightly fucked for latency as it wasn't registering last second reactions and it turned out to have 100+ms of latency.