By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think its safe to say at this point that DMC 2 will not be coming out.

I loved Heavenly Sword, and from what I have played DmC is actually a stellar title. NT's problem isn't really their games, yet the bad air around THEM. They have left a bad taste in gamer's mouths with their post statements about HS, which to this day is their highest selling, most respected title. I will pick up DmC, but much later on down the line, as every time I look at it I think of their smug faces.

They are extremely stubborn when it comes to criticisms, and are borderline narcissistic with their unique view that everything they do is perfect regardless of protest. It appears that as long as people know it is Ninja Theory, the sales might be doomed to failure. They need to possibly disband and create a new company, or maybe get back into the good graces of gamers and make our damn HS2 without the wining about "It didn't sell as much as we wanted, we made no money". I find it super hard to believe they made less on HS than Enslaved or DmC.

Capcom: Why the hell does Dante need a reboot anyway? Baffled how they kept sabotaging this series from day one. The first one was really well recieved. Second, not so much but its because they replaced Cynical and smart ass Dante with a new Brooding Dante. It also has one of the worst side characters EVER in Lucia. Still was enjoyable for many, and we were still right there for DMC3. DMC3 was nothing short of amazing. It was right back to original form with some new blood injected in it. Loved it.

Then comes DMC4, they decide to ditch original Dante....again, for some new kid.....who just so happens to look JUST LIKE HIM! WHY!?! It was such a stupid plot device to go along with a stupider story. In a DMC game people only want to play with 3 people really: Dante, Virgil, Trish/Lady. Everyone else, fall back. DMC4's gameplay wasn't bad either, if only a tad slow. Capcom coveted what God of War has tho with their unique grappling gameplay (actually I realize every action game now has some sort of chain grab :/ )

Stop it Capcom, just stop it. Let Dante be who he started as, 20s something dick in a box where he gets to dice up enemies in over the top ways with a variety of weapons while traveling through some gothic landscape. DmC isn't a afront to this recipe tho. It actually stays pretty consistant minus the Dante design and retooling of the story(which turns out better).

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
ishiki said:
KylieDog said:
Xxain said:
@Stage -Even through the reboot Tomb Raider is still instantly recognizable. DmC is not. Its almost like another game. CAPCOM's ex employee Seth Killian said it best. People dont want brand new. They want 70% of what they know and 30% new. Tomb Raider meets that break up. DmC does not.

Actually a lot of the TR fanbase dislike the new TR and claim its like another game.

not to the extent of DmC fanbase though it obviously exists. And I think with TR it made a lot of new fans so the overall reaction was a lot less negative. Wherea's DmC failed in that aspect, and mainly pissed off a large amount of old ones.

But I personally thought the new DmC was more like the old DMC's aside from being easy, and the artstyle. 

The new Tomb Raider felt like a cross between it's old self, uncharted, and resident evil to me. Which I liked a lot. But it was quite a drastic change from underworld (which I also liked a lot) or the other 8. Which aside from TR2, GoL, and Angel of Darkness, had a lot less action/puzzle ratio.

New TR is a much bigger change than new DMC, new DMC is a reboot with a new Dante but the genre and gameplay is still the same, while the new TR is a reboot with a new Lara but the gameplay is completely different, barely any puzzles, the puzzles are simplistic, the platforming isn't chalenging anymore, is mainly a shooter now.

Which just shows how bad the DMC fanbase is.

At end of the day, Capcom didn't reboot DMC because the series was doing good.

DMC4 sold 3 mil - you call that "not doing good"? Well now they pissed the fanbase and won't even get close to 1 mil with the reboot, so we know just how bad their move was.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
venomcarnage said:
What I have always found interesting is the claim that old-school DMC fans killed the franchise these guys were ignored insulted and given a product they didn't want they of course didn't buy it and then it not selling some how became their fault.I love this insane notion that you should support something you dont want so you can continue to get something you dont want

Look at metacritic. The ratings on the user end were sabotaged and they never gave the game a chance despite having some of the highest ratings of the year for a hack n slash. Its called a boycott. I am a DMC fan myself (of the style) and I wasnt disappointed. This game forced Ninja Theory to learn how to work to make a demanding hack n slash and they proved their value. Most of the people who dislike the game have not played it and refused to play it and if they did play it its obvious the sequel was being prepped to expand upon the gameplay of the first. They weaved your character growth into the story instead of it feeling random like DMC normally did in the past. This is flawed logic and they have no place in an argument.

So it may be a good Hack 'n' Slash game, but it's not a DMC game, that's why it sold like other good HnS games did this gen and not like a DMC game. Why do you expect the DMC fanbase to buy any single game that crapcom slaps the DMC sticker on? Also, why support something you don't want? The fans show what they want - they want true DMC, they want the "gay" Dante. Every single classic DMC game sold 3-4 mil, no matter if it was good or bad - you call that a bad fanbase? They just don't want this wanna-be Dante, they don't want to see how he evolves and don't want a sequel with him. It's similar to MGS2 - nobody wants another MGS game about Raiden and without Snake. Return to old roots, to old Dante, give fans what they want, apologise and be thankful for the lesson.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

KylieDog said:
Thing is when DMC4 released it was bashed pretty heavily by fans for being same old thing, so they get a new and fresh thing, bash that too.

Shame that DMC has such a horrid fanbase, as the new DMC is a great game.

More or less seems like the stiatuion to me as well.

A203D said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Capcom was expecting two million. They cut their forecast down to 1.2 million and they are definitely not getting that. Even Revengeance can achieve those sales as a new IP. Look at metacritics user averages, terrible. Those are fan inflicted wounds on the post launch.

Its possible, but still, if we looks at Revengence's sales. The reason the PS3 version has sold more than DmC is because of what triple/quadruple sales in the Japanese region. American and European sales are not that far apart from DmC.

Revengence has sold about the same on the 360 as DmC, and Revengence is coming from a biigger franchise which is the Metal Gear series. I think its more to do with timing; sales are down year on year; God of War Ascension has opened with half the number of sales as Gof of War 3;  according to Square Enix Tomb Raider wasn't successful as they expected. Theres probably other games I haven't thought of, but my point is it was just a bad time to release this game.

Whatever the case, I think Ninja Theory might be working on Heavenly Sword 2; Tameem Antoniades did mention something for Sony's PS4 conference, and Ninja Theory have been shown to be a third party developer for the PS4. So I think Ninja Thoery have moved onto their next game already, and I think theres a possibility it will be Heavenly Sword 2. Based on what they learned from Capcom with DmC, I think HS2 would be a great game for them to do next.

If you take the fanbase that for a Video game genre that has had a bit of a decline then piss off a decent size of that fanbase you better make sure the new people that your trying to appeal and those you have converted are enough to justify and support it going forward.Now I dont know how many old school dmc fans were converted and liked the game or how many new fan the series aquired with this game but it certainly does not look like it was enough.I think the problem going forward regardless of if we get dmc5 or dmc2 is that they as in CAPCOM my have split a fanbase and neither side may be able to support this series.

This whole saga for me has never ever been about the game it has been about how Capcom, Ninja Thoery , and the fans old and new handled this whole thing.

Scisca said:
KylieDog said:
ishiki said:
KylieDog said:
Xxain said:
@Stage -Even through the reboot Tomb Raider is still instantly recognizable. DmC is not. Its almost like another game. CAPCOM's ex employee Seth Killian said it best. People dont want brand new. They want 70% of what they know and 30% new. Tomb Raider meets that break up. DmC does not.

Actually a lot of the TR fanbase dislike the new TR and claim its like another game.

not to the extent of DmC fanbase though it obviously exists. And I think with TR it made a lot of new fans so the overall reaction was a lot less negative. Wherea's DmC failed in that aspect, and mainly pissed off a large amount of old ones.

But I personally thought the new DmC was more like the old DMC's aside from being easy, and the artstyle. 

The new Tomb Raider felt like a cross between it's old self, uncharted, and resident evil to me. Which I liked a lot. But it was quite a drastic change from underworld (which I also liked a lot) or the other 8. Which aside from TR2, GoL, and Angel of Darkness, had a lot less action/puzzle ratio.

New TR is a much bigger change than new DMC, new DMC is a reboot with a new Dante but the genre and gameplay is still the same, while the new TR is a reboot with a new Lara but the gameplay is completely different, barely any puzzles, the puzzles are simplistic, the platforming isn't chalenging anymore, is mainly a shooter now.

Which just shows how bad the DMC fanbase is.

At end of the day, Capcom didn't reboot DMC because the series was doing good.

DMC4 sold 3 mil - you call that "not doing good"? Well now they pissed the fanbase and won't even get close to 1 mil with the reboot, so we know just how bad their move was.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
venomcarnage said:
What I have always found interesting is the claim that old-school DMC fans killed the franchise these guys were ignored insulted and given a product they didn't want they of course didn't buy it and then it not selling some how became their fault.I love this insane notion that you should support something you dont want so you can continue to get something you dont want

Look at metacritic. The ratings on the user end were sabotaged and they never gave the game a chance despite having some of the highest ratings of the year for a hack n slash. Its called a boycott. I am a DMC fan myself (of the style) and I wasnt disappointed. This game forced Ninja Theory to learn how to work to make a demanding hack n slash and they proved their value. Most of the people who dislike the game have not played it and refused to play it and if they did play it its obvious the sequel was being prepped to expand upon the gameplay of the first. They weaved your character growth into the story instead of it feeling random like DMC normally did in the past. This is flawed logic and they have no place in an argument.

So it may be a good Hack 'n' Slash game, but it's not a DMC game, that's why it sold like other good HnS games did this gen and not like a DMC game. Why do you expect the DMC fanbase to buy any single game that crapcom slaps the DMC sticker on? Also, why support something you don't want? The fans show what they want - they want true DMC, they want the "gay" Dante. Every single classic DMC game sold 3-4 mil, no matter if it was good or bad - you call that a bad fanbase? They just don't want this wanna-be Dante, they don't want to see how he evolves and don't want a sequel with him. It's similar to MGS2 - nobody wants another MGS game about Raiden and without Snake. Return to old roots, to old Dante, give fans what they want, apologise and be thankful for the lesson.

Talk for yourself, MGS2 is still the best game in the series and Raiden was crucial in it.

Around the Network
A203D said:
Rafux said:
KylieDog said:
Thing is when DMC4 released it was bashed pretty heavily by fans for being same old thing, so they get a new and fresh thing, bash that too.

Shame that DMC has such a horrid fanbase, as the new DMC is a great game.

Please don't talk about something you don't know nothing about. DMC4's problem was that it was half a game cause dev time was cut short.

DMC4's problem is that it wasn't a true DMC game at all. In fact thats been the problem with every DMC game since DMC1. There are not true successors to DMC1. DMC4 was possibilly the worst game in the series; it was so far from DMC1 I didn't see anything good left in the series except for combat.

Development time was cut short? What so they still had time to make two hours of cringworthy cutscenes? Which is more than that of DmC.

Cutscenes that involved newcomers Nero and Kyrie in a form of Twilight romance? Cutscenes that involved turning Trish and Lady into Playboy fan service? Cutscenes that involved turning Dante into a riduclously camp cowboy, complete with red cowboy boots?

Maybe if Capcom didn't spend so much time making cutscenes they could've improved the gameplay, which (DMC4) has been completely trumped by Bayonetta. Even DmC isn't as good as Bayonetta, but it still does a lot of things really well. Besides Capcom Japan and Hideaki Itsuno were heavily involved in development, your not just criticising Ninja Theory, your criticising the developers of DMC4. If you knew more than Hideaki Itsuno about DMC, I think we would know about it.

Hahahaha nothing of what you wrote made any sense but I do love the way you cry A203D please never stop crying.

I've never been a fan of the DMC series, but I don't see how people can call a loyal fan base disloyal, for not buying a game that wasn't meant for them. DMC fans were pretty consistent with the franchise considering the second game was terrible, and the third game had two versions in the same year (and fans bought both).

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Kresnik said:
On the numbers we have in VGChartz it's looking like it'll be an uphill struggle for DMC's sales to beat Heavenly Sword.

Kind of ironic that the game which made them no money and turned them to multi-platform development may end up being the best selling title they developed.

Damned if they do; damned if they don't.

They where always vagabonds they started out as Just Add Monsters and the first game they developed was Kung Fu Chaos for the original X-Box.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kresnik said:
On the numbers we have in VGChartz it's looking like it'll be an uphill struggle for DMC's sales to beat Heavenly Sword.

Kind of ironic that the game which made them no money and turned them to multi-platform development may end up being the best selling title they developed.

Damned if they do; damned if they don't.

They should've stayed with Sony. 

Ninja Theory was always a vagabond developer they started out as Just Add Monsters and the first game they developed was Kung Fu Chaos for the original X-Box.

Chris Hu said:

They where always vagabonds they started out as Just Add Monsters and the first game they developed was Kung Fu Chaos for the original X-Box.

Wasn't Kung Fu Chaos an Xbox exclusive?

So again: they were exclusive developers (first on Xbox; then on PS3) who went multi-platform.  Point I made still stands.

It just turns out that their PS3 exclusive had a bit more weight thrown behind it than their Xbox exclusive; and that STILL wasn't enough.