By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think its safe to say at this point that DMC 2 will not be coming out.

Kresnik said:
Chris Hu said:

They where always vagabonds they started out as Just Add Monsters and the first game they developed was Kung Fu Chaos for the original X-Box.

Wasn't Kung Fu Chaos an Xbox exclusive?

So again: they were exclusive developers (first on Xbox; then on PS3) who went multi-platform.  Point I made still stands.

It just turns out that their PS3 exclusive had a bit more weight thrown behind it than their Xbox exclusive; and that STILL wasn't enough.

There still vagabonds since they never developed more then one game for one company.

Around the Network

Whoever's idea it was to make the new Dante into whatever the hell it is now, is responsible for a ton of lost sales. It was an incredibly stupid move.

I don't know why people are trying to defend the developers, here. If you make something people don't like, they won't buy it, simple as that. The game got what it deserved. You can parrot on about "good gameplay" all you want, but that doesn't matter when you can't stand to play the game itself, because you dislike the main character so much. Apparently some devs don't seem to understand this, and simply decide to do whatever the hell they want, ignoring what all the potential buyers think. Have a reality check.

I can see a pattern here:

Game - Platform - Metacritic - Sold (according to Vgchartz)
Kung Fu Chaos - XBOX - 68% - 0.28m
Heavenly Sword - PS3 - 79% - 1.58m
Enslaved - PS3-X360 - 81% - 0.94m
DMC - PS3-X360-PC - 85% - 0.67m

The only title that broke 1 million was the early-gen PS3 exclusive. They seem to get better and better at making games, and they have a unique art style and story, which is great, but they making games, missing a certain charm. I mean Nariko is an angry girl. Monkey is an angry well... monkey-man. And now Dante, I'm pretty sure we can say, that not everybody loves him. They only need to make a loveable, or at least a likeable protagonist. That's all they missing.

Would you played through Halo with Master Chief, if he was a douchebag? Or would you like Uncharted without Nathan Drake? Over 10 million people bought and played Walking Dead... a genre considered dead before - no pun intended. They played because they liked Lee and Clem, and wanted see it through.

That's what very few developer gets. Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Valve, Bungie and a few other know this. Of course good and innovative gameplay is great, and everybody loves pretty graphics, and good games came from that direction, but the really great games have that magic, that you love playing that game, and love being that certain character.

One of the developers at Core Design responded, when he was asked, why do they used a female as main character: 'Would you like to watch a man to crawl in front of you?' He had the idea.

So Ninja Theory, get a good writer, and make an original game, and you will be okay. And no, I don't care that you are Sony exclusive or 3rd party.

Rafux said:
A203D said:

DMC4's problem is that it wasn't a true DMC game at all. In fact thats been the problem with every DMC game since DMC1. There are not true successors to DMC1. DMC4 was possibilly the worst game in the series; it was so far from DMC1 I didn't see anything good left in the series except for combat.

Development time was cut short? What so they still had time to make two hours of cringworthy cutscenes? Which is more than that of DmC.

Cutscenes that involved newcomers Nero and Kyrie in a form of Twilight romance? Cutscenes that involved turning Trish and Lady into Playboy fan service? Cutscenes that involved turning Dante into a riduclously camp cowboy, complete with red cowboy boots?

Maybe if Capcom didn't spend so much time making cutscenes they could've improved the gameplay, which (DMC4) has been completely trumped by Bayonetta. Even DmC isn't as good as Bayonetta, but it still does a lot of things really well. Besides Capcom Japan and Hideaki Itsuno were heavily involved in development, your not just criticising Ninja Theory, your criticising the developers of DMC4. If you knew more than Hideaki Itsuno about DMC, I think we would know about it.

Hahahaha nothing of what you wrote made any sense but I do love the way you cry A203D please never stop crying.

Nothing I wrote made any sense to you because your a DMC4 fan, not a DMC1 fan. Thats why you accepted all those things. Thats why your against the reboot. All because DMC4 was the first DMC game you played and you find it difficult to understand that Devil May Cry started with Devil May Cry 1 not Devil May Cry 4. Thats why you never question any of the changes that took place. To you they were never changes. Thats why I like the reboot; because I understand that DMC4 was not Ninja Theory's fault. But of course that makes no sense to a DMC4 fan.

A203D said:
Rafux said:
A203D said:

DMC4's problem is that it wasn't a true DMC game at all. In fact thats been the problem with every DMC game since DMC1. There are not true successors to DMC1. DMC4 was possibilly the worst game in the series; it was so far from DMC1 I didn't see anything good left in the series except for combat.

Development time was cut short? What so they still had time to make two hours of cringworthy cutscenes? Which is more than that of DmC.

Cutscenes that involved newcomers Nero and Kyrie in a form of Twilight romance? Cutscenes that involved turning Trish and Lady into Playboy fan service? Cutscenes that involved turning Dante into a riduclously camp cowboy, complete with red cowboy boots?

Maybe if Capcom didn't spend so much time making cutscenes they could've improved the gameplay, which (DMC4) has been completely trumped by Bayonetta. Even DmC isn't as good as Bayonetta, but it still does a lot of things really well. Besides Capcom Japan and Hideaki Itsuno were heavily involved in development, your not just criticising Ninja Theory, your criticising the developers of DMC4. If you knew more than Hideaki Itsuno about DMC, I think we would know about it.

Hahahaha nothing of what you wrote made any sense but I do love the way you cry A203D please never stop crying.

Nothing I wrote made any sense to you because your a DMC4 fan, not a DMC1 fan. Thats why you accepted all those things. Thats why your against the reboot. All because DMC4 was the first DMC game you played and you find it difficult to understand that Devil May Cry started with Devil May Cry 1 not Devil May Cry 4. Thats why you never question any of the changes that took place. To you they were never changes. Thats why I like the reboot; because I understand that DMC4 was not Ninja Theory's fault. But of course that makes no sense to a DMC4 fan.

Did you forgot to take your medicine?

You don't know me man, I bought DMC1 back in 2001 and love it, it started as a RE game and it shows, DMC2 does not exist for me and DMC3 is the best game overall since they focused on the combat, DMC4 had the best gameplay combat but you don't care cause you probably play it for the story, do you play Mario games for the story too? 

If I don't like DmC is because is too damn easy and casualised, the combat is a giant step back, they wanted the GOW audience and it backfired. It was fun at first but is getting sad to see you cry.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

Fans: "we don't want this, we're not going to play it"

Devs: "we know better, you're gonna play it and love it, we know better"

Fans: "Oh rly?"

The DmC case in a nutshell.

Such a shame, DmC is the 2nd best DMC game ever. It was really good.

venomcarnage said:

If you take the fanbase that for a Video game genre that has had a bit of a decline then piss off a decent size of that fanbase you better make sure the new people that your trying to appeal and those you have converted are enough to justify and support it going forward.Now I dont know how many old school dmc fans were converted and liked the game or how many new fan the series aquired with this game but it certainly does not look like it was enough.I think the problem going forward regardless of if we get dmc5 or dmc2 is that they as in CAPCOM my have split a fanbase and neither side may be able to support this series.

This whole saga for me has never ever been about the game it has been about how Capcom, Ninja Thoery , and the fans old and new handled this whole thing.

I honestly don't think it has much to do with the fans. I think its about the release window. I think had DmC come out under the same conditions as DMC4 it would have done much better. If you look at something like Heavenly Sword that was a PS3 launch title, the PS3 version sold about the same as DMC4 on PS3. If Heavenly Sword came out now it would get no where near those sales.

It did good because of the time it came out. Thats why I think DMC4 was the most successful DMC title. Not because it was the best, but because it came out after a good game (DMC3) at a time when the console attach rates were picking up, with very little competition due to the Wii's dominace at the time.

You also have the possibiltiy that I think DMC4 damaged the series. I have no way of proving that, but aside from the combat I didn't think the game was very good. Thats why I don't think a lot of players have come back for DmC. If we look at the sales of the DMC HD collection, their not that high either. We can see the popularity of this series just isn't that high.

If we look at God of War Ascension, its sold less than half the launch window copies of God of War 3. So its not just DmC. I think it was just a dangerous time to release a reboot for a game 5 years after its predecessor on consoles with declining software sales. Its down to Capcom to sort that if they can. Ninja Theory will hopefully just move onto their next game.

Rafux said:

Did you forgot to take your medicine?

You don't know me man, I bought DMC1 back in 2001 and love it, it started as a RE game and it shows, DMC2 does not exist for me and DMC3 is the best game overall since they focused on the combat, DMC4 had the best gameplay combat but you don't care cause you probably play it for the story, do you play Mario games for the story too? 

If I don't like DmC is because is too damn easy and casualised, the combat is a giant step back, they wanted the GOW audience and it backfired. It was fun at first but is getting sad to see you cry.

I don't believe you. Your the same as every other DMC4 fan out there. Never played DMC1, blame Ninja Theory for everything that went wrong with DMC2, 3 and 4.

According to who is DmC's combat casualised? Not me, not the fans making combo videos on Youtube; and not Hideaki Itsuno and Capcom Japan, who designed the game. But I guess their all lying right? Because you say so.

No I do care about the combat; I've discussed the combat at length in the past. I felt they needed to updated the engine after the cumbersome lock-on system of DMC4, which was a relic of the Resident Evil series. Thats why Bayonetta trumped DMC4. Thats why Capcom and Ninja Theory updated the engine. If the game was as 'easy' as you claim you would be top of the leaderboards on Hell and Hell mode, or you would have some videos to prove it. If the gameplay was casualised you would be making videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyyB_QsJthA

But again your not... supprise. supprise.

Of course I don't know you; does that mean I should trust anything you say? How do I know your more qualified than Capcom Japan and Hideaki Itsuno?

I can't believe PS fanboys are still repeating this same tired nonsense that ninja theory should have stayed exclusive. Here's the truth in a nutshell.... IT WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE!

Heavenly Sword sold well for only one reason... it came out at a time where it was literally one of the only AAA games on the PS3. That is the ONLY reason that it sold over a million. Had ninja theory stayed with sony and released HS2, it would have sold less than HS1, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Every single sony franchise (besides uncharted) that debuted in the PS3 has sold less in subsequent outings.

Stop trying to act like Heavenly Sword ever had a future. That game was a tech demo at best. Ninja Theory was never going to pull an uncharted 2 with that game and they were never going sell more than they did the first time. I'm sure even they knew that the game was just a tech demo and that's why they didn't continue with it. Had Ninja Theory stayed exclusive they would be exactly where they are now if not in worse shape.