By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think its safe to say at this point that DMC 2 will not be coming out.

oniyide said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
oniyide said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
oniyide said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
venomcarnage said:
What I have always found interesting is the claim that old-school DMC fans killed the franchise these guys were ignored insulted and given a product they didn't want they of course didn't buy it and then it not selling some how became their fault.I love this insane notion that you should support something you dont want so you can continue to get something you dont want

Look at metacritic. The ratings on the user end were sabotaged and they never gave the game a chance despite having some of the highest ratings of the year for a hack n slash. Its called a boycott. I am a DMC fan myself (of the style) and I wasnt disappointed. This game forced Ninja Theory to learn how to work to make a demanding hack n slash and they proved their value. Most of the people who dislike the game have not played it and refused to play it and if they did play it its obvious the sequel was being prepped to expand upon the gameplay of the first. They weaved your character growth into the story instead of it feeling random like DMC normally did in the past. This is flawed logic and they have no place in an argument.

But your not really answering his query. If a person thinks something is going to be crap? Why give it a chance. So are you saying that youve never seen a game and thought "that looks terrible, i dont want no part of it"? Im sure you have, so why must DMC be different, if people didnt like the direction it was going in, they have every right to ignore it. THey dont owe NT or Capcom their time and certaintly their money.

You have a point that everyone has a right to their opinion, but guess what weight does their opinion hold on a game they've never played? Theres forever an opinion, but when they have a debate with someone who has played the game they are mostly lost.

I see where you are coming from, but at the end of the day does that really matter? If the series is not getting sales it needs and is actually losing userbase that means that Capcom and NT has turned people off and failed. BECAUSE they wont play it. Its really that simple, you can have arguments all you want about who played what.

I agree with that, but that was one of those games that was reviwer proof. The fanbase is a niche but tough to impress group of gamers. In some ways I think it was a message they want to keep the game Japanese made for that arcadey hack n slash feel insteady of fluid, the way western companies are taking it these days.

See i think thats your own personally opinion. But i have to let you have it, seeing as i didnt play DMC, never been a huge fan of that franchise or genre. Hell i the only reason i even got DMC4 because i fell in love with the anime

Im not even a huge DMC fan but I love the style of Hack N Slash as a genre which is why I always support it (God of War, Bayonetta, MGR, DMC...yes..I support them all). Hack N Slash fans should support, but there are the nerdy otaku like fans who throw a fit at the first sign of change (especially if it goes from Japanese to western). At this stage it doesnt matter whether you buy it or not and I heard at GDC Ninja Theory displayed how unhappy they were with the turnout. MGR in story, gameplay and extras wasn't half the game and ultimately will probably sell twice the amount LTD. 

P.S.

You're right they don't owe Capcom or NT anything. They have no opinion and can bitch and moan at nothing until the sun comes up.

Around the Network

First of i haven't boughtnhe game (yet).

The problem with DmC is that it isnt a DmC game anymore (at least visually) and dante dosen't really feel like dante anymore.
That doesn't mean the game is bad but personally i feel a bit dissapointed with the game because i was somehow attatched to dante and thought he was cool. Now Capcom and NT decides to throw everything that i feel attatched to in a series out of the window how can you blame me for not buying the game?
Well they might not exactly have thrown all of dmc out but the trailers certainly made it look like it.

Again i'm not saying it's a bad game but to me (and probably to many dmc fans) it isn't a dmc and you cant blame them for not buying it.
I am gonna get the game eventually since i like hack and slash and the demo was decent, but not full price (i only buy my favourite francise full price plus capcom isn't really on my "to support" list. At least not until they can get out a decent vita game).

huiii said:

The problem with DmC is that it isnt a DmC game anymore (at least visually) and dante dosen't really feel like dante anymore.
That doesn't mean the game is bad but personally i feel a bit dissapointed with the game because i was somehow attatched to dante and thought he was cool. Now Capcom and NT decides to throw everything that i feel attatched to in a series out of the window how can you blame me for not buying the game?
Well they might not exactly have thrown all of dmc out but the trailers certainly made it look like it.

Again i'm not saying it's a bad game but to me (and probably to many dmc fans) it isn't a dmc and you cant blame them for not buying it.
I am gonna get the game eventually since i like hack and slash and the demo was decent, but not full price (i only buy my favourite francise full price plus capcom isn't really on my "to support" list. At least not until they can get out a decent vita game).

1) You dont know if its a bad game.

2) Its actually a coming of age title where Dante becomes who he is meant to be. Its actually giving him a proper storyline.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
huiii said:

1) You dont know if its a bad game.

2) Its actually a coming of age title where Dante becomes who he is meant to be. Its actually giving him a proper storyline.

1) I don't know if it's a bad game and i never said it was.

2) Maby i wouldn't know i haven't played the game

I was just trying to say that the material i saw of the game didn't make it look like a dmc game to me and thus didn't put me in a rush to buy the game.
You know i actually think the new dante looks sort of cool and he is actually my main in PSAS:BR  and the game is on my to buy list. I just think they could have slapped a different name on the game and nobody would notice it was a dmc*.  So i don't blame dmc fans for not buying it. (I'm not saying it gives them an excuse to act like whiny bitches though).

*Yes i know i havent played the game it's just the feel i got from what i saw. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Wasn't my favorite game, but it was far from the worst. I hate to see talent go to waste because of a generation of people who refuse to see the potential in things just because they wish the old days of gaming would stay.

I've been reading through most of the thread and I honestly thing we haven't thought about this issue properly. This is what I'm talking about:

DMC4 week 1 sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39481/Global/

DmC week 1 sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41294/Global/

So I'm not talking about week one sales for those games. But all those games released at the same time. DMC4 was released under very faviourable conditions at the beginning of the console generation. If we look at DmC's week one sales, every game in the chart has seen declines. Its nothing to do with anti-DmC fans. Its to do with the end of console cycle sales. Software sales are down year on year. That time period when DMC4 was released was mostly alongside Wii titles, theres so much more competition now for DmC, so it was not the same marketing circumstances.

Capcom really made a mistake of releasing DmC now, my opinion is they shouldve waited to release DmC as a PS4/720/Wii U launch title. I don't think it was a good idea to release a reboot now, especially if Capcom wern't prepared to market the game properly.

Regarding what you said about Metacritic user scores. Thats actually easily disprovable. Because anyone can create an account and make a fake review. How to you learn the truth?

Answer: On the PSN store you have to buy the game before you can leave a review score for the game. I'm not sure about Xbox Live, but in the case of DmC on the PSN, (digital sales), DmC has been among one of the top 10 rated games since January. You know that the PSN review scores are trustworthy because those consumers have to pay for the game to be able to leave a review score. In the case of Amazon, or Metacritic, we can see a lot of people who don't have Amazon's 'confirmed purchase' and thus don't know whether they've bought the game or not. In the case of PSN we see the truth.

I'm not sure if they will make a sequel. But we only have PS3/Xbox sales, we don't have digital sales, PC or Steam sales. That being said DmC is not really Ninja Theory's game, if they don't do a sequel it dosen't matter. They will continue to make great games with the skills they learned from Capcom. Its not that bad either way.

Around the Network

Ninja thoery are no saints, sorry to say. I like them, and im sure they will manage to develop something else, but the way they handled DMC was a mistake. They didnt try to please the fans, they defied them openly and showed them the middle finger. Cmon, did you forget the pizza joke and the way dante looked initially to be exactly like antoniades hair style? They are no saints, the outcome was as much good as it was bad, but it was because they confronted.

Fans really have no losses here, because that wasnt the DMC they wanted anyways.

Jimmy_Rustler said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Stick a fork in it, its done. Fans only have themselves to blame when less and less great games come out per year.

Thank's man. As a fan I made sure to spread the word of how bad the gameplay for DmC was.

Now you know why DMC fans don't accept 'your' truth. What I'm more interested in is why Hideaki Itsuno and Capcom Japan have said the gameplay for DmC is an improvement over previous games; so are you calling Capcom Japan and Hideaki Itsuno liars? Or is it that your simply another DMC4 fan?

Rafux said:
KylieDog said:
Thing is when DMC4 released it was bashed pretty heavily by fans for being same old thing, so they get a new and fresh thing, bash that too.

Shame that DMC has such a horrid fanbase, as the new DMC is a great game.

Please don't talk about something you don't know nothing about. DMC4's problem was that it was half a game cause dev time was cut short.

DMC4's problem is that it wasn't a true DMC game at all. In fact thats been the problem with every DMC game since DMC1. There are not true successors to DMC1. DMC4 was possibilly the worst game in the series; it was so far from DMC1 I didn't see anything good left in the series except for combat.

Development time was cut short? What so they still had time to make two hours of cringworthy cutscenes? Which is more than that of DmC.

Cutscenes that involved newcomers Nero and Kyrie in a form of Twilight romance? Cutscenes that involved turning Trish and Lady into Playboy fan service? Cutscenes that involved turning Dante into a riduclously camp cowboy, complete with red cowboy boots?

Maybe if Capcom didn't spend so much time making cutscenes they could've improved the gameplay, which (DMC4) has been completely trumped by Bayonetta. Even DmC isn't as good as Bayonetta, but it still does a lot of things really well. Besides Capcom Japan and Hideaki Itsuno were heavily involved in development, your not just criticising Ninja Theory, your criticising the developers of DMC4. If you knew more than Hideaki Itsuno about DMC, I think we would know about it.

A203D said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Wasn't my favorite game, but it was far from the worst. I hate to see talent go to waste because of a generation of people who refuse to see the potential in things just because they wish the old days of gaming would stay.

I've been reading through most of the thread and I honestly thing we haven't thought about this issue properly. This is what I'm talking about:

DMC4 week 1 sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39481/Global/

DmC week 1 sales: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41294/Global/

So I'm not talking about week one sales for those games. But all those games released at the same time. DMC4 was released under very faviourable conditions at the beginning of the console generation. If we look at DmC's week one sales, every game in the chart has seen declines. Its nothing to do with anti-DmC fans. Its to do with the end of console cycle sales. Software sales are down year on year. That time period when DMC4 was released was mostly alongside Wii titles, theres so much more competition now for DmC, so it was not the same marketing circumstances.

Capcom really made a mistake of releasing DmC now, my opinion is they shouldve waited to release DmC as a PS4/720/Wii U launch title. I don't think it was a good idea to release a reboot now, especially if Capcom wern't prepared to market the game properly.

Regarding what you said about Metacritic user scores. Thats actually easily disprovable. Because anyone can create an account and make a fake review. How to you learn the truth?

Answer: On the PSN store you have to buy the game before you can leave a review score for the game. I'm not sure about Xbox Live, but in the case of DmC on the PSN, (digital sales), DmC has been among one of the top 10 rated games since January. You know that the PSN review scores are trustworthy because those consumers have to pay for the game to be able to leave a review score. In the case of Amazon, or Metacritic, we can see a lot of people who don't have Amazon's 'confirmed purchase' and thus don't know whether they've bought the game or not. In the case of PSN we see the truth.

I'm not sure if they will make a sequel. But we only have PS3/Xbox sales, we don't have digital sales, PC or Steam sales. That being said DmC is not really Ninja Theory's game, if they don't do a sequel it dosen't matter. They will continue to make great games with the skills they learned from Capcom. Its not that bad either way.

Capcom was expecting two million. They cut their forecast down to 1.2 million and they are definitely not getting that. Even Revengeance can achieve those sales as a new IP. Look at metacritics user averages, terrible. Those are fan inflicted wounds on the post launch.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Capcom was expecting two million. They cut their forecast down to 1.2 million and they are definitely not getting that. Even Revengeance can achieve those sales as a new IP. Look at metacritics user averages, terrible. Those are fan inflicted wounds on the post launch.

Its possible, but still, if we looks at Revengence's sales. The reason the PS3 version has sold more than DmC is because of what triple/quadruple sales in the Japanese region. American and European sales are not that far apart from DmC.

Revengence has sold about the same on the 360 as DmC, and Revengence is coming from a biigger franchise which is the Metal Gear series. I think its more to do with timing; sales are down year on year; God of War Ascension has opened with half the number of sales as Gof of War 3;  according to Square Enix Tomb Raider wasn't successful as they expected. Theres probably other games I haven't thought of, but my point is it was just a bad time to release this game.

Whatever the case, I think Ninja Theory might be working on Heavenly Sword 2; Tameem Antoniades did mention something for Sony's PS4 conference, and Ninja Theory have been shown to be a third party developer for the PS4. So I think Ninja Thoery have moved onto their next game already, and I think theres a possibility it will be Heavenly Sword 2. Based on what they learned from Capcom with DmC, I think HS2 would be a great game for them to do next.