By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Most Wanted U beats PS3/360 versions

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

lol i can't even notice the differnce in direct feed hd pics, here is the pc version by the way, so your just seeing things probably the dark gamma of the wiiu version

Which speaks to either your unflinching bias or your immediate need to visit an optometrist.

And the PC version shows the intersection properly reflective. Digital Foundry CLEARLY CITES superior reflection mapping on the Wii U version, your attempt to twist this into "darker gamma" is hilarious.

yes i know DF states that but its not in that pic, digitail foundry has a comment for each pic, all they mention in this pic is the curb is properly textured. i think you need to remove you rose tinted glasses.

They're noted the curb because the pic was a prime example of that, they can't detail every difference in every pic, they chose one for each. The reflection improvement is visible throughout the game, and it is in that pic. You need to remove your rose-tinted glasses when looking at the 360 version.

Yes, it is there. But barely noticeable. You have to look for it to see it. It doesn't pops out and scream "SO MUCH BETTER" to me. It's barely incremental. Best console version? Yes. But it's not like the other versions are a significant distance behind it.

This game is certainly not the best one to illustrate the difference between The HD twins and the U.

That would be Trine 2, at least until the big first party U games arrive.

For the moment, though, it's not a bad example; a game 4 months into the U's life showing improved textures, reflections, and framerate over a 6th/7th year PS360 game.

If all we can expect from the Wii U are tiny, barely incremental improvements over the HD Twins' graphical capabilities, I don't think there's much of case to make here.

yup criteron are very talented developers, that really wanted to show wiiu hardware, they took there time, had proper dev kits, and they only added some pc textures, same low resolution shadows still present, no AA, and the same resolution as the console versions, and not this was released 6 months later with no rush to meet the holiday season like the 360/ps3 versions had to deal with.

Viper 1 answers this very effectively:

"6 months of dev time is not taking their time.  That's an insanely short development period.   And it was 5 months, not 6.  And the X360/PS3 versions had 2 years for development and was their 4th effort on those platforms." (Versus their first Wii U effort)

Show me a game released in the first 5 months of the PS3/360 that comes close to this game.

2 years to start from the beginning versus 5-6 months to port an existing code... That's not comparable.

5-6 months to port is pretty normal.

Not when you're talking about porting to a brand new system with a very different architecture to the systems it was on previously.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

lol i can't even notice the differnce in direct feed hd pics, here is the pc version by the way, so your just seeing things probably the dark gamma of the wiiu version

Which speaks to either your unflinching bias or your immediate need to visit an optometrist.

And the PC version shows the intersection properly reflective. Digital Foundry CLEARLY CITES superior reflection mapping on the Wii U version, your attempt to twist this into "darker gamma" is hilarious.

yes i know DF states that but its not in that pic, digitail foundry has a comment for each pic, all they mention in this pic is the curb is properly textured. i think you need to remove you rose tinted glasses.

They're noted the curb because the pic was a prime example of that, they can't detail every difference in every pic, they chose one for each. The reflection improvement is visible throughout the game, and it is in that pic. You need to remove your rose-tinted glasses when looking at the 360 version.

Yes, it is there. But barely noticeable. You have to look for it to see it. It doesn't pops out and scream "SO MUCH BETTER" to me. It's barely incremental. Best console version? Yes. But it's not like the other versions are a significant distance behind it.

This game is certainly not the best one to illustrate the difference between The HD twins and the U.

For the moment, though, it's not a bad example; a game 4 months into the U's life showing improved textures, reflections, and framerate over a 6th/7th year PS360 game.

If all we can expect from the Wii U are tiny, barely incremental improvements over the HD Twins' graphical capabilities, I don't think there's much of case to make here.

yup criteron are very talented developers, that really wanted to show wiiu hardware, they took there time, had proper dev kits, and they only added some pc textures, same low resolution shadows still present, no AA, and the same resolution as the console versions, and not this was released 6 months later with no rush to meet the holiday season like the 360/ps3 versions had to deal with.

"6 months of dev time is not taking their time.  That's an insanely short development period.   And it was 5 months, not 6.  And the X360/PS3 versions had 2 years for development and was their 4th effort on those platforms." (Versus their first Wii U effort)

Show me a game released in the first 5 months of the PS3/360 that comes close to this game.

2 years to start from the beginning versus 5-6 months to port an existing code... That's not comparable.

Not when you're talking about porting to a brand new system with a very different architecture to the systems it was on previously.

Oh yes it is. They don't need to redo all the assets and the pre-production stuff. All that has to be done is the porting process. They don't have to redo everything. 6 months is normal, not exceptional.

Hynad said:

Oh yes it is. They don't need to redo all the assets and the pre-production stuff. All that has to be done is the porting process. They don't have to redo everything. 6 months is normal, not exceptional.

So less than five months to:

- Re-optimise the game for new and unfamiliar hardware.

- Improve and modify the graphics.

- Come up with and implement Gamepad features.

- Add extra content.

- Get the game approved, published, and shipped.

curl-6 said:

- Add extra content.

They didn't improve the graphics. It is based on the PC version. ¬_¬

Also, where did you get this "less than 5 months" figure?

ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

My comment wasn't to say the Wii U isn't going to provide graphics that really stand out in comparison to the HD twins. Most console evolve nicely over the course of their lifespan, and I don't think the Wii U will be any different. Although by how much is a good question.

My point was that if you're satisfied with this low an improvement over what is offered on the HD Twins, then there's hardly anything to rave about. I'm pretty sure the graphics will get better from here (at least, I do hope so), but the fact that it's already stuggling to make those older games be barely noticeably better than last gen (if at all in many cases) doesn't paint a good picture for the console's future (as far as graphical capabilities are concerned).

watch dogs should put the wiiu power debate to rest.

No it won't ^_^b You'll create another thread like this and try to say the PS360 versions look better or on par even if it's actually better on the tech front just like right now. Assuming you are still on this site by then lol. You at least eventually admitted the Wii U version of Most Wanted is superior in this thread even if not by much in your opinion, which is a good start if nothing else. As the Wii U actually get titles that look quiet a bit better, you'd prolly come up with other excuses as usual, it's okay though, each is entitled to freedom of speech on the internet since it's not like anybody would track you down and murder you or anything unless you piss off the wrong people lol.

Around the Network
SENTIENT6 said:
JazzB1987 said:

Oh man its like I am talking to my grandmother xD   NEWS FLASH WIIU WILL RUN UNREAL 4!    (no offence the grandmother part was used to describe your somewhat outdated point of view)

And I explained why the WiiU has the CPU it has  because the system is focusing on GPU not CPU.   Cpu's have a much worse performace/price ratio. So it makes sense to have a GPU that does what CPUs usually do.
And how do you even know the actual performance of the WiiU CPU? HINT: My 2009 phone has a 800mhz cpu  my 2004 PC has a 3400MHZ CPU  and my PC is not the faster device!

A system is only as fast as the slowest part that is relevant for what the system is intended to do. 
My DS has a GBA cpu inside  and its not slowed down by this because its not intended to be used in "DS mode"  And WiiU games that will make use of the GPU and that will just let the CPU handle basic stuff wont have a problem at all.   I mean a gas powered car is not useful if you use it without gas (the way it is intended to be used)  same goes for WiiU  its not a useful method to force the system to handle CPU intense tasks because thats not what the system is supposed to do.

Why is the 3ds ps360 example horrible? It is the same logic you apply to WiiU and PS360.  You still dont understand that its not the time for you to judge the WiiUs capabilites because you dont know what it can do. You just know what happens when people port over old games to a new system or when they have low-budget-titles that were made on alpha/beta devkits. Why are you so impatient?

And what does that have anything to do with 2006? WiiU can handle effects PS360 cannot!   

When you think WiiU is basically 2006 hardware would you also agree to this here?:
- 2007's Crysis looks better than any PS360 games in terms of polycount/geometry/textures  etc  Crysis just lacks the fancy light effects and reflections  games like BF3 have.   Killzone on PS4 fixed this so what is the PS4 then?

When you ignore WiiUs "shader effects etc" which PS360 cant handle and say welcome to 2006 then I can ignore what the PS4/nextbox can do since those can to less new stuff compared to WiiU than WiiU can do compared to PS360!

So the conclusion would be:   PS4 FINALLY! has 2007 PC graphics with effects games in 2011 had (again I ignore the PS4 shaders etc. since you also ignore the WiiU ones)  so 2007+2011 / 2 = 2009  WOW WELCOME TO 2009! (PS4 can do what PCs could do in 2009 when PS360 wouldnt have slowed down graphical evolution!  Thanks PS360!!!)

You see how unsmart this line of thinking is?  Again you can not just go and say THIS IS FACT THAT IS FACT when you dont know whats going on. I dont argue that PS4 and nextbox will have better graphics than WiiU  I dont even care lol. I just tell you that the stuff you say makes no sense because you dont get what you are talking about.

I get what I am saying just find, you clearly have no clue. The wiiu won't be getting unreal 4 epic said so. it can run it sure, with majoe concessions and its not worth the money for epic.

The system is only as fast as its slowest part is irrelevant? The wiiu is a gaming machine the CPU is critical, every instruction set goes throug the CPU and the the wii-u's is weak  and no the gpu does not do what a cpu does. You say this nonsense and say I dont know what I am talking about? wow. Engines like unreal 4 and other next gen games will require vastly better multi-core cpu's. heck even the ps3 and 360 have a better cpu and many games are very cpu inensive. A slow cpou will slow down the rest of a system as every instruction goes through it.

Its why in a PC you never put  a fast GPu with a slow CPU or you will get a bottlneck. You should not talk about tech you clearly have no clue about.

You have no idea what a game engine is, it is simply a toolset used to build a game. It's already been confirmed that U4 is so scalable it will run on web browsers and mobile devices, so it can clearly run on WiiU. The guy who made the comment called his original comment a 'gaffe' and said that U4 games could be ported to WiiU using that engine. He made the original statement after running a U4 demo on a super-powerful PC at a developer conference, so he probably thought the the question was about the demo, not the engine. That real-time demo would not run on WiiU (and probably not even on PS4), but a tech demo is not the same thing as the engine used to CREATE the demo. The engine itself is highly scalable, even able to run on mobile phones. Get your facts straight please.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

- Add extra content.

They didn't improve the graphics. It is based on the PC version. ¬_¬

Also, where did you get this "less than 5 months" figure?

Geometry is still the console version, and it's running at the same res as the console versions, the improvements are there, but it's a driving game so yeah..... It does show the Wii U having more strength, but this is not exactly the game tailored based on Wii U so it's like DF said, a cross between console and PC versions at the end of the day, where PC versions are usually just the same game with more bells and whistles, this version just comes with more bells basically. I don't have a problem with this being a 1st gen game though, if they can do this on a brand new hardware vs 7 year old ones where they are more familiar with the tech, then I don't think Wii U games will look bad or anything.

What I don't see is crazy physics, but I don't foresee that on the PS4 or Nextbox either TBH. The main difference will be the horse power required to render tessellated environments, which will be scaled, but will look worse for sure due to raw power constraints.

dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

My comment wasn't to say the Wii U isn't going to provide graphics that really stand out in comparison to the HD twins. Most console evolve nicely over the course of their lifespan, and I don't think the Wii U will be any different. Although by how much is a good question.

My point was that if you're satisfied with this low an improvement over what is offered on the HD Twins, then there's hardly anything to rave about. I'm pretty sure the graphics will get better from here (at least, I do hope so), but the fact that it's already stuggling to make those older games be barely noticeably better than last gen (if at all in many cases) doesn't paint a good picture for the console's future (as far as graphical capabilities are concerned).

No it won't ^_^b You'll create another thread like this and try to say the PS360 versions look better or on par even if it's actually better on the tech front just like right now. Assuming you are still on this site by then lol. You at least eventually admitted the Wii U version of Most Wanted is superior in this thread even if not by much in your opinion, which is a good start if nothing else. As the Wii U actually get titles that look quiet a bit better, you'd prolly come up with other excuses as usual, it's okay though, each is entitled to freedom of speech on the internet since it's not like anybody would track you down and murder you or anything unless you piss off the wrong people lol.

like i said before i have seen a much bigger jump in visuals/frame rate from to 360 to ps3, or even 360 to wiiu, in mutli platform games then this game has, yet i don't hear anybody yelling its more powerful, the differnce between ninja gaiden RE3 ps3 is night and day compared to wiiu version, and so are many othere games, that's why there is a debate, even this game with new dev kits, and coming out 6 months later, the game looks slightly better then the console versions  i think the people making excuses is you guys, if its more powerful hardware games should run and look a bit better period, if  need for speed wiiu had great AA, all the pc textures, and high resolution shadows, i would have said wiiu is clealy more powerful in ways that really matter and show, but this version just tells me the wiiu hardware is on par with 360/ps3 .

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

like i said before i have seen a much bigger jump in visuals/frame rate from to 360 to ps3, or even 360 to wiiu, in mutli platform games then this game has, yet i don't hear anybody yelling its more powerful, the differnce between ninja gaiden RE3 ps3 is night and day compared to wiiu version, and so are many othere games, that's why there is a debate, even this game with new dev kits, and coming out 6 months later, the game looks slightly better then the console versions  i think the people making excuses is you guys, if its more powerful hardware games should run and look a bit better period, if  need for speed wiiu had great AA, all the pc textures, and high resolution shadows, i would have said wiiu is clealy more powerful in ways that really matter and show, but this version just tells me the wiiu hardware is on par with 360/ps3 .

Of course RE would be night and day compared to the Wii U version for as long as you are the judge of your own world :P Why would anybody be surprised about that with you by now? Haha. Not to mention Most Wanted does have more stable frames rates, which means it runs better, while having better assets, which can't even be used in last gen systems.

"Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U - the Digital Foundry verdict

All in all, having taken a decade-long break from Nintendo since the release of Burnout 2 on GameCube, Criterion Games has used the Wii U to conjure up the definitive console version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. It's not an overwhelming advance that matches the visual fidelity of the PC version in all regards, but additions and tweaks are numerous and well-considered. At no expense to the frame-rate, textures stand at the midway point in the quality spectrum, between the more blurry assets we're seeing on PS3 and 360 and the highest possible settings on PC. It's a worthwhile upgrade that extends to reflection draw too, with all other visual facets being identical, and the frame-rate coming away smoother regardless."

So, better on a technical level and performs better, but you don't want to accept it and went into what you prefer instead of going into the technical aspects and pretend that your opinion is definitive without understanding of what you are actually looking at. You lost the argument the moment you decided to enter this thread, just deal with it and wait for the next one since you said the same thing last time about Most Wanted, that this game should end the debate, which it should really have by now lol. It's okay though, that just means I get to rail on you again soon enough, and I do quiet enjoy that.

dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

Of course RE would be night and day compared to the Wii U version for as long as you are the judge of your own world :P Why would anybody be surprised about that with you by now? Haha. Not to mention Most Wanted does have more stable frames rates, which means it runs better, while having better assets, which can't even be used in last gen systems.

"Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U - the Digital Foundry verdict

All in all, having taken a decade-long break from Nintendo since the release of Burnout 2 on GameCube, Criterion Games has used the Wii U to conjure up the definitive console version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. It's not an overwhelming advance that matches the visual fidelity of the PC version in all regards, but additions and tweaks are numerous and well-considered. At no expense to the frame-rate, textures stand at the midway point in the quality spectrum, between the more blurry assets we're seeing on PS3 and 360 and the highest possible settings on PC. It's a worthwhile upgrade that extends to reflection draw too, with all other visual facets being identical, and the frame-rate coming away smoother regardless."

So, better on a technical level and performs better, but you don't want to accept it and went into what you prefer instead of going into the technical aspects and pretend that your opinion is definitive without understanding of what you are actually looking at. You lost the argument the moment you decided to enter this thread, just deal with it and wait for the next one since you said the same thing last time about Most Wanted, that this game should end the debate, which it should really have by now lol. It's okay though, that just means I get to rail on you again soon enough, and I do quiet enjoy that.

I  accepted a long time ago, its doesn't matter though, most of the 360 to wiiu ports the 360 has a much bigger jump, for instants AC3 has a 5fps advantage the whole game, while wiiu version of need for speed only has a 5fps during crashes, which do you think is the bigger leap, not to mention the othere multi-platform games, the jump is very small in direct feed pics prove this, unless where talking about frame rate and as for ninja gaiden 3, read the imporessions they say the framerate is much much better then the wiiu version, in a game like ninja gaiden i would consider that a  night and day differnce.