By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Most Wanted U beats PS3/360 versions

Hynad said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

lol i can't even notice the differnce in direct feed hd pics, here is the pc version by the way, so your just seeing things probably the dark gamma of the wiiu version

Which speaks to either your unflinching bias or your immediate need to visit an optometrist.

And the PC version shows the intersection properly reflective. Digital Foundry CLEARLY CITES superior reflection mapping on the Wii U version, your attempt to twist this into "darker gamma" is hilarious.

yes i know DF states that but its not in that pic, digitail foundry has a comment for each pic, all they mention in this pic is the curb is properly textured. i think you need to remove you rose tinted glasses.

They're noted the curb because the pic was a prime example of that, they can't detail every difference in every pic, they chose one for each. The reflection improvement is visible throughout the game, and it is in that pic. You need to remove your rose-tinted glasses when looking at the 360 version.

Yes, it is there. But barely noticeable. You have to look for it to see it. It doesn't pops out and scream "SO MUCH BETTER" to me. It's barely incremental. Best console version? Yes. But it's not like the other versions are a significant distance behind it.

This game is certainly not the best one to illustrate the difference between The HD twins and the U.

That would be Trine 2, at least until the big first party U games arrive.

For the moment, though, it's not a bad example; a game 4 months into the U's life showing improved textures, reflections, and framerate over a 6th/7th year PS360 game.

If all we can expect from the Wii U are tiny, barely incremental improvements over the HD Twins' graphical capabilities, I don't think there's much of case to make here.

yup criteron are very talented developers, that really wanted to show wiiu hardware, they took there time, had proper dev kits, and they only added some pc textures, same low resolution shadows still present, no AA, and the same resolution as the console versions, and not this was released 6 months later with no rush to meet the holiday season like the 360/ps3 versions had to deal with.

My comment wasn't to say the Wii U isn't going to provide graphics that really stand out in comparison to the HD twins. Most console evolve nicely over the course of their lifespan, and I don't think the Wii U will be any different. Although by how much is a good question.

My point was that if you're satisfied with this low an improvement over what is offered on the HD Twins, then there's hardly anything to rave about. I'm pretty sure the graphics will get better from here (at least, I do hope so), but the fact that it's already stuggling to make those older games be barely noticeably better than last gen (if at all in many cases) doesn't paint a good picture for the console's future (as far as graphical capabilities are concerned).

watch dogs should put the wiiu power debate to rest.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

If all we can expect from the Wii U are tiny, barely incremental improvements over the HD Twins' graphical capabilities, I don't think there's much of case to make here.

Is that all you expect?  Tiny increments?

ninjablade said:

yup criteron are very talented developers, that really wanted to show wiiu hardware, they took there time, had proper dev kits, and they only added some pc textures, same low resolution shadows still present, no AA, and the same resolution as the console versions, and not this was released 6 months later with no rush to meet the holiday season like the 360/ps3 versions had to deal with.

6 months of dev time is not taking their time.  That's an insanely short development period.   And it was 5 months, not 6.  And the X360/PS3 versions had 2 years for development and was their 4th effort on those platforms.

And you're ignoring that most of their effors went into adding GamePad and gameplay specific features.  Had they focusd solely on graphics, you can be sure they'd done more.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Waiting for a thread about PS4/Nextbox beating Wii graphics on a game.

Gugerface said:

I don't think it will be any Wii game released on PS4/X720...

Sharu said:
Gugerface said:

I don't think it will be any Wii game released on PS4/X720...

There has to be some yearly sports game or a racer/shooter which will make its way to wii. I think.

Around the Network
Gugerface said:

PS4 versus Wii would be pretty pointless, don't you think?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Gugerface said:

Well, Wii is currentgen, I think everybody agrees... So if PS4/X720 can prove their superiority over Wii graphics then they can surely say that they are true nextgen... )))

Viper1 said:
Gugerface said:

As pointless as comparing Wii U to PS3/360, don't you think?

ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

lol i can't even notice the differnce in direct feed hd pics, here is the pc version by the way, so your just seeing things probably the dark gamma of the wiiu version

Which speaks to either your unflinching bias or your immediate need to visit an optometrist.

And the PC version shows the intersection properly reflective. Digital Foundry CLEARLY CITES superior reflection mapping on the Wii U version, your attempt to twist this into "darker gamma" is hilarious.

yes i know DF states that but its not in that pic, digitail foundry has a comment for each pic, all they mention in this pic is the curb is properly textured. i think you need to remove you rose tinted glasses.

They're noted the curb because the pic was a prime example of that, they can't detail every difference in every pic, they chose one for each. The reflection improvement is visible throughout the game, and it is in that pic. You need to remove your rose-tinted glasses when looking at the 360 version.

Yes, it is there. But barely noticeable. You have to look for it to see it. It doesn't pops out and scream "SO MUCH BETTER" to me. It's barely incremental. Best console version? Yes. But it's not like the other versions are a significant distance behind it.

This game is certainly not the best one to illustrate the difference between The HD twins and the U.

For the moment, though, it's not a bad example; a game 4 months into the U's life showing improved textures, reflections, and framerate over a 6th/7th year PS360 game.

Viper 1 answers this very effectively:

"6 months of dev time is not taking their time.  That's an insanely short development period.   And it was 5 months, not 6.  And the X360/PS3 versions had 2 years for development and was their 4th effort on those platforms." (Versus their first Wii U effort)

Show me a game released in the first 5 months of the PS3/360 that comes close to this game.

And you conveniently failed to mention its superior framerate and reflections as well as textures.

curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

Viper 1 answers this very effectively:

"6 months of dev time is not taking their time.  That's an insanely short development period.   And it was 5 months, not 6.  And the X360/PS3 versions had 2 years for development and was their 4th effort on those platforms." (Versus their first Wii U effort)

Show me a game released in the first 5 months of the PS3/360 that comes close to this game.

2 years to start from the beginning versus 5-6 months to port an existing code... That's not comparable.

5-6 months to port is pretty normal.