By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Research: PlayStation Home Active Users (Please Answer the Pool)

Tagged games:

PlayStation user are you an active PS Home user?

I have a PSN Account and ... 62 24.90%

I have a PSN Account and ... 166 66.67%

See results. I'm not a PlayStation user 20 8.03%

Total:248
ethomaz said:

I didn't agree with the moderation locking this thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=157772 just because anybody knows if the 31 million users are active or not... os the mod team can only ask to change the thread title ano not lock it.

I asked to mod the reasonto lock the thread and he said it is because 31 million active users are unbelievable.

Now I'm curious to know what that number means... so for that I will make a little game, a pool with two options:

1) I have a PSN Account and I'm a active PS Home user
2) I have a PSN Account and I'm not a active PS Home user

Active = Played the PS Home in the last months

* Please, just pick a choice if you really have a PSN Account * 

Mods don't have the ability to modify thread titles? I guess that explains the prevalence of inaccurate thread titles and spelling mistakes that go unfixed.

As for the thread you referenced above that was locked, the article made no mention that there are 31M active users of Home, just 31M users of Home, which most likely means that there are 31M who have downloaded and launched Home at some point during its existence.

On topic: I fall under option two.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

No... but of course.  Sony neer used the term active.

Sort of the whole point.  You just made something up and pretended they said active.

Every time Sony has given a number for users of home it's been total users all time.  This was true at 14, it was true at 19.  It's true now. (Poll isn't doing any favors either.)

Just like how people look at shipped numbers and claim it's sold.

but why would sony inflate number's for a service that as many people keep saying that

"no one care's about" ?

why would Sony count in  those number's if that person is not using the service in a month at all, but not skipping a month here or there but never using the service for year's .

why even list that number? to inflate the service usage number's for a service " no one care's about?"

it seem's when the number's are pointed out people are sure careing about them now!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I'm still using it for the occasional match of chess with a complete wild card. Some people might not even know the rules and some wipe the floor with me and it's pretty exciting to find out what you are up against while playing.

joeorc said:
Kasz216 said:

No... but of course.  Sony neer used the term active.

Sort of the whole point.  You just made something up and pretended they said active.

Every time Sony has given a number for users of home it's been total users all time.  This was true at 14, it was true at 19.  It's true now. (Poll isn't doing any favors either.)

Just like how people look at shipped numbers and claim it's sold.

but why would sony inflate number's for a service that as many people keep saying that

"no one care's about" ?

why would Sony count in  those number's if that person is not using the service in a month at all, but not skipping a month here or there but never using the service for year's .

why even list that number? to inflate the service usage number's for a service " no one care's about?"

it seem's when the number's are pointed out people are sure careing about them now!

A) Who said NOBODY cared about Home.  I'm sure Home has a quite dedicated, quite big group of core active users that Sony makes plenty of money off of.    It just isn't bigger then the number of people who played some of the biggest blockbuster games ever by a magnitude of 3. 

Perspective time... League of Legends is listed as the most played game ever.  With a total of 32 million montly players. 

If Home was at League of Legends level success as a game they'd be making a much bigger deal of it.  As if it had 31 million monthly players it would be the second most successful game of all time.  (second life is a game afterall)

If they were pulling those numbers they'd make a big deal about it.  You wouldn't have to figure it out by looking at a press release.

B) Have you never heard of PR before?  You use the big number because its a big number.   It's to get people who don't use home and who like Dr. Who to use home.

Why do console companies always pretend their shipped numbers are sold to consumer?

NoCtiS_NoX said:
AFAIK
You can access Home with different accounts.

yes you can , but why? the effect is if your going to have an Avatar you can get free items, maybe troll the Hub but How long are you going to spend with that other account? the very fact if you made another playstation Home active user it's still another avatar with it's own content. 

so if you are doing that, than its not any different than a new person making a fresh new account and doing the same for the first time except your experience with using the PS3.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
pezus said:
This poll won't work. People who aren't PS players will just vote that they are and don't use it
Plus, Home is casual and we are hardcore

This.

crissindahouse said:
joeorc said:
Kasz216 said:

Also, yeah, own a PS3... don't use home.

I mean, you really think it's reasonable that 41% of PS3 owners log on to home once a month? That's just silly... no matter what it is.

i have over 50 friend's  out of  83 on my PS3 how did i meet them...? over when i was talking to gamer's in of all places playstation Home!

you could have 1000 friends and all from home and it wouldn't be any evidence. a real life friend of mine has 70 friends on xbox and probably 60 of them from soul calibur, that doesn't make the game more successful as it is.

what you stated is quite true, but that's the thing about social networks, if you made multiple accounts to make multiple avatar's are you going to use them all at once? or one at a time?

this is not the same dynamic as just playing a game, the point of a social network is  "social" communication, if your spending time on one of your alt account's you are still spending time on that alt account.

look at it this way you have one PS3 in a house hold, say you your wife and two kid's, and say all 4 people make a account. that does not mean there is 4 PS3's it just may mean there is 4 people using the same PS3. out of those 4 could everyone have an account and use the Playstation Home service and have their own friends in the friends list? 

31 million is not so far fetched would it be if you are talking about on a per/ household?

I AM BOLO

ps:

pezus said:
This poll won't work. People who aren't PS players will just vote that they are and don't use it
Plus, Home is casual and we are hardcore

playstation fans who don't use it will vote for it to let it look more successful as it is. that also works vice versa   with a very healty playstation community that shouldn't be a real problem on vgc.  and 25% doesn't look too bad for a gaming forum, i don't really believe more as every fourth here uses home.

joeorc said:
crissindahouse said:
joeorc said:

i have over 50 friend's  out of  83 on my PS3 how did i meet them...? over when i was talking to gamer's in of all places playstation Home!

you could have 1000 friends and all from home and it wouldn't be any evidence. a real life friend of mine has 70 friends on xbox and probably 60 of them from soul calibur, that doesn't make the game more successful as it is.

what you stated is quite true, but that's the thing about social networks, if you made multiple accounts to make multiple avatar's are you going to use them all at once? or one at a time?

this is not the same dynamic as just playing a game, the point of a social network is  "social" communication, if your spending time on one of your alt account's you are still spending time on that alt account.

look at it this way you have one PS3 in a house hold, say you your wife and two kid's, and say all 4 people make a account. that does not mean there is 4 PS3's it just may mean there is 4 people using the same PS3. out of those 4 could everyone have an account and use the Playstation Home service and have their own friends in the friends list? 

31 million is not so far fetched would it be if you are talking about on a per/ household?

i didn't say anything about the number of users, just that your friends list says nothing about it since it makes sense that your personal friends list looks like that as home user. like the list of one of my friends is full of soul calibur players since that is what he always plays (or played)

every fourth user here said he uses home, if that is the case for every ps3 that is already almost 20 million users.

not an active user...lurk every once and awhile