By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Research: PlayStation Home Active Users (Please Answer the Pool)

Tagged games:

PlayStation user are you an active PS Home user?

I have a PSN Account and ... 62 24.90%

I have a PSN Account and ... 166 66.67%

See results. I'm not a PlayStation user 20 8.03%

Total:248
Kasz216 said:

When Asked about active home users the Sony PR line is "We share this info with retailers but won't release it publicly.".

Can you think of many reasons why you wouldn't share the number of active users with consumers when most companies use large active user base numbers as a marketing tool?  (And 32 million would be huge.  Hell 20 million would be huge.  Higher then WoW at it's peak.  Even free that's impressive)

I can think of quite a few reason's why, for one the main part of Sony's Playstation Game console is to sell game's for the living room, the whole point of Playstation Home is to get Gamer's together in a social network, why worry about inflating those number's? That's is not the goal of Playstation Home, its a money maker but its just a Social network, Playstation game console's are not centered around a function such as a social platform. No matter how well Playstation Home is doing for profit, even if that number was lower way lower. you heard Sony talk about Move even boasting they sold such and such number of unit's. And Home is waaaaay more successful than Move!

Playstation Home is not 2nd life, it's not twitter. it's not  Facebook,It is not the same thing as those . What i also pointed out is the fact that unlike those other social network's that Sony's integrated many part's of Game centric features into every facit of the service. when you go into the hub, the bill board is not just to show information there are quest's for your avatar to do every day, that allow's you to unlock more unlockable's inside Home. 

Again this part of playstation network service is not the focus, the whole service is part of PSN it's not the main focus of PSN. Like for example PSN+ now has features for playstation Home that you can only get if your a playstation plus subscriber. Remember Playstation Plus's main focus from Sony is its Game's the other part's are there to be shown as a benefit, but they always promote it from a "free game's every month" focus.

Sony does not need to talk about Home because it's not their main focus! If it was not doing as well say 5 million real Active user's and they say that How would that be a bad Number is the service is @ profit? many may say but, that is 7 year's that's a very bad number. Look at it this way. Has Playstation Home ever been a main focus for the Playstation Platform? 

But yet they in Public talked about Move being successful. And many will still think Move was a flop.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
ethomaz said:
Even in a core gamer website the 20% of active user in PSN Home is impressive.

Whatever you have to keep telling yourself man.  Even Joeoroc has finally come around to admitting he was wrong, even if he is still willing to quibble over how many users he thinks are active of that 31 million.

Internet polls on websites are really quite pointless because i'm sure a lot of people voted against it who don't even own a PS3, and a lot of people who voted for it just because they want to make all things PS3 look good.

Not to mention the multiple votes... and the fact a lot of people answered with "yes i've used it once or twice" indicating they should put no... but instead put yes as being an active user.

All that matters is Sony themelves says they won't release active userbase numbers to the public.  Therefore that number is clearly not active userbase.

I said no such thing, and Again i was pointing out the fact that what you claim, about Home being lower Active user base is not clear cut . for instance they said it was over key word "Over 31 million" that could be 31 million +1 or many 100,000's over.

"All that matters is Sony themelves says they won't release active userbase numbers to the public.  Therefore that number is clearly not active userbase."

while true Jack stated that back in 2010, that may not be true today! because where is the other interview's with Jack over active user base number's? 

Look, im not saying that it's 100% for a fact 31 million is all Active user base or that its not, what im pointing out is  while this cannot be taken at face value

of the usage number on a current bases, it does show there is more growth in user base for this service. As far as we know that is Active user base. because this is not 2010, the same thing's said back then may not apply to right now. the fact that is if the platform was not growing at a rate that was Acceptable, why would iP holder's invest into said platform. for instance DR. who is the longest running sci-fi tv show in existance it predate's starwar's, and star trek.

Sony would have most likely have to pay a licence deal to get content of that sort to be able to put that in Home. Not saying they could make a deal to offset that licence, but Sony also has Starwars iP content. Those iP holder's are not just going to give out such licence for a service that has no real Active user base.

Why would they, if the service did not show the number's for it?

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I havent been an active user in over 2 years but when i was i had circle of friends that i would use home and video chat with. Often there were too many of us for vid chat so home was the next best thing.

4 ≈ One

I used to use home all the time,but I just got tired of it. I don't think I've used it in a couple of years. When they have a home post on the playstation blog it's only about 20 comments on average. It used to be around 50 comments. I don't if that means anything,but I just found that interesting.

I used it a few times when it first came out, wasn't a fan. So option 2 for me.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
I havent been an active user in over 2 years but when i was i had circle of friends that i would use home and video chat with. Often there were too many of us for vid chat so home was the next best thing.

that was one of the advantages of Home. instead of just talking on "Mic's" by itself since you can have upto 32 member's in each club that's quite a bit number of people, there are a ton of club's on playstation Home.

I AM BOLO

ps:

oldschoolfool said:
I used to use home all the time,but I just got tired of it. I don't think I've used it in a couple of years. When they have a home post on the playstation blog it's only about 20 comments on average. It used to be around 50 comments. I don't if that means anything,but I just found that interesting.

that's because everyone is pretty much posting here at the community space not the main blog.

Example: first subject off the bat has over 500 comment's

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/Personal-Space-Tours-Updated-w-Doctor-Who-TARDIS-amp-Complex/m-p/37442741#U37442741

and other places in the community forum, not just the main blog. mainly because GlassWall's , and  other's  like  joanna .

I AM BOLO

ps:

I've been there few times.......always seemed lively.
Not my kind of thing, but I can see why the casual and social folks like it so much.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

joeorc said:
Kasz216 said:
ethomaz said:
Even in a core gamer website the 20% of active user in PSN Home is impressive.

Whatever you have to keep telling yourself man.  Even Joeoroc has finally come around to admitting he was wrong, even if he is still willing to quibble over how many users he thinks are active of that 31 million.

Internet polls on websites are really quite pointless because i'm sure a lot of people voted against it who don't even own a PS3, and a lot of people who voted for it just because they want to make all things PS3 look good.

Not to mention the multiple votes... and the fact a lot of people answered with "yes i've used it once or twice" indicating they should put no... but instead put yes as being an active user.

All that matters is Sony themelves says they won't release active userbase numbers to the public.  Therefore that number is clearly not active userbase.

I said no such thing, and Again i was pointing out the fact that what you claim, about Home being lower Active user base is not clear cut . for instance they said it was over key word "Over 31 million" that could be 31 million +1 or many 100,000's over.

"All that matters is Sony themelves says they won't release active userbase numbers to the public.  Therefore that number is clearly not active userbase."

while true Jack stated that back in 2010, that may not be true today! because where is the other interview's with Jack over active user base number's?

There is not one shred of evidence to suggest there has been a policy change, as they have never stated it as one.

Additionally you seem to be the only person anywhere reporting it as "active user base".

At this point you know your wrong and just don't want to admit it.  The numbers taken at face value = Total users.

Also >10 million can still be a huge active userbase.  I feel like you REALLY don't understand this stuff.

10 Million users is equal to the number of people who pay for World of Warcraft.  The most profitable MMO ever.

I mean heck, Disney would be pumped to get 10 million users on star wars.  Hell... 5 Million.   2Million users would still be worth it... maybe even less since we're just talking about a few easy to design polygon items.

Who cares how successful it is?  It's more or less free advertising... plus whatever bonus cut you might get from item sales.  It's something that costs pretty much nothing, but is sure to bring a profit.

It's like how Valve makes an INSANE amount of money off of TF2 items.

Kasz216 said:

There is not one shred of evidence to suggest there has been a policy change, as they have never stated it as one.

Additionally you seem to be the only person anywhere reporting it as "active user base".

At this point you know your wrong and just don't want to admit it.  The numbers taken at face value = Total users.

Also >10 million can still be a huge active userbase.  I feel like you REALLY don't understand this stuff.

i will point out again.. where is an interview with jack for the past 2 or 3 year's about Home's "Active user Intstall base.

2nd..at this point im not saying im wrong or right , you are the one putting word's into my mouth, you are the one saying i am wrong and you are the one that is saying that im admitting something i have not admitted.

Again you state i feel like you Really don't under stand this stuff.

I understand it quite well, as a matter of fact i Use this service every day most of the Time.

a key point you and other's are  or may not be taking into account is how does Sony Exclude those with an Active PSN account that has signed up for Home, but your account is not banned or you stop using PSN all together? Simple they can track your usage when and what time's you go in. if you use that once in 4 year's and log into home would Sony consider you and "Active user" playstation Home active user?  No, but you are an Active PSN user! so even if your PS3 sit's there collecting dust your account is active but you may not use the service. so why would sony from a buissness stance really count you in their collective number's for you being an Active user base when you are just sitting there? they would not count on you, but on the same token Sony and 3rd party know if you are using the service or not because Sony said they share that info with their publishing partner's. they are not counting you because you are not an active user, because they know it, so why refer to you as one of the number's to count on in PR? YOU KEEP SAYING TO MAKE THE NUMBER'S LOOK GOOD!

BUT sINCE THEY AS YOU STATED NEVER TALK ABOUT PUBLIC NUMBER'S For "Active user's" at least since 2010. I mean you are the one saying there is no way it can be even remotely true, but yet you are the one stating it like its a fact, have you checked? or do you even care to check? its quite easy to see maybe you do not even care to try to get the number for playstation Home to track, I mean there is over 400 exclusive game's that you cannot find anywhere else other than  in playstation Home that are not on other social or indie games that people can play that are not on any of the other social networks. since this site does not track network game sales, or  the sales of DLC in general or constant user base of "Active user's" on a day by day or month by month. you are the one trying to say its a fact that these are not Active user's when you do not know 100% for a fact that they are not. you cannot have it both way's. you can have an opinion but you cannot say my Opinion is not anymore valid than your's..well you can but you would be wrong until you are proven right!

saying you are right is not the same thing as really being right! and belittiling someone else's view is going to get you no where in my opinion, in this thread you attacked my intelligence on this matter' and it seem's that is what many i have observed do just that here. trying to say that their opinion is fact when it' may not be and belittle the other person in the process. Not once did i attack your intelligence, but you attacked mine. 

as an example: you pointed out this:

"I mean heck, Disney would be pumped to get 10 million users on star wars.  Hell... 5 Million.   2Million users would still be worth it... maybe even less since we're just talking about a few easy to design polygon items."

this pretty much show's exactly why you may not know really anything about Home as a service or your experience with the service is very much way behind

first of all it's not "we're just talking about a few easy to design polygon items"

no you may be talking about "easy to design polygon items" but there is environment's with real physic's and in game particle effects and real time lighting and Physic's that are not prebaked into the game's on playstation Home, that take's time and development resources to make. and multiple people making such content. For instance you can drop certain item's in a club house that can interact with an avatar's position and shooting an avatar can result with such an item give you dynamic physic's that is not static by dynamic on the fly and not be the same every time.

with on the fly  with simulated dynamic physic's collision response!

when this service started out , and one of the first interviews in 2009 the number of Home User's was listed being 5 million!Speaking with GameDaily, Sony's Peter Dille has revealed a few user statistics for the service. Did you know, for example, that the average user spends 55 minutes in Home per session? Or that, since launch late last year, there have been four million "users" (which, in any online service where they don't specify "active users" usually means the total number of registered accounts) in Home? You most certainly do now.

UPDATE - Joey over at Virtual World news was kind of enough to let us know that Peter Dille's numbers are old. According to Jack Buser, SCEA's Director of PlayStation Home (who, really, should know), there are five million users, not four. A healthier figure! He also discloses that of that five, 2.2 million are from the US & Canada, suggesting the service is doing a little better in Europe and Japan than it is in North America.

He also confirms that five million is the number of people who have registered an account in Home, not the number of active users, a figure Sony is yet to disclose.

than in 2010

here was one of the first interviews

IGN: So how big is Home now? How many people use the service and who are they? 

Jack Buser: We have 14 million worldwide users. 85% of the people who use Home have been there before. It's a very sticky platform. Another stat that's very important to us is the average session duration, which is 70 minutes. That's up from 60 minutes just a few months ago. And that's an average session, some people are spending a tremendous amount of time in Home. Calendar first quarter revenues are up 3 times from the same period last year, so revenue growth is fantastic. 

IGN: How much money does that actually account for? 

Jack Buser: We don't say estimates. One thing we do say is that our business model is made up of two aspects, advertising and virtual items. The bulk of our business comes from virtual items, and it's an extremely high margin business for us, it's wonderfully profitable. It has a fixed cost of development, you make a virtual item one time and you can sell a tremendous number of times without scaling your costs. It's one of the highest margin models in the games industry. I think Home was one first platforms in North America to come out and really break open that business model. 

IGN: How are you able to bring people into Home? It's always sitting there in the cross media bar, but it seems like there's a lot of content there that could appeal to people who don't already have a PS3, maybe someone playing games on Facebook or somewhere else. 

Jack Buser: The PlayStation Home user is the most engaged, most hardcore PlayStation 3 user. They play more games, they buy more games, they watch more movies, and listen to more music than the average PS3 user, who is already an extremely engaged consumer. I think a lot of people might assume Home users are "casual," but they're actually the most engaged consumers we have. We message them in a variety of different ways. The first thing you see when you log in is a Message of the Day. We have a totally new, redesigned navigator that helps people get around and find games to play. We've significantly improved load times and overhauled the user interface. One of the things I tell people if they haven't tried Home in a while, if you tried it in the public Beta but haven't been back in a while, come back and try it. A lot has changed. 

Jack Buser:The PlayStation Home user is the most engaged, most hardcore PlayStation 3 user. They play more games, they buy more games, they watch more movies, and listen to more music than the average PS3 user, who is already an extremely engaged consumer. I think a lot of people might assume Home users are "casual," but they're actually the most engaged consumers we have.

GDC: Who the Hell Uses PlayStation Home?

Sony boasts a huge userbase, but who are these players?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/03/01/gdc-who-the-hell-uses-playstation-home

I AM BOLO

ps: