By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Research: PlayStation Home Active Users (Please Answer the Pool)

Tagged games:

PlayStation user are you an active PS Home user?

I have a PSN Account and ... 62 24.90%

I have a PSN Account and ... 166 66.67%

See results. I'm not a PlayStation user 20 8.03%

Total:248
joeorc said:
Kasz216 said:

you are trying to use a web network tracking usage stat to guage the number for playstation Home, which is completely wrong..because there is no public network usage traffic tracker for playstation Home. So how can you say it's unrealistic? and be correct?

you state this:

"Yes.  It's more unrealistic.  In a game network enviroment it's much harder to get users let alone multiple users from one console .   Since it's a hell of a lot easier to logout of one website and keep everything then it is a PSN account."

what's that got to do with tracking ? you log in and log out your server keep's tab's on when you do so. that does not have any real bearing on who is using the service, because the person is be that guy or girl grandma or granpa. the number of player's at anyone time is just that. IS there such a PUBLIC WEB TRAFFIC STAT FOR PLAYSTATION HOME?  that answer is a NO!

Again you state

In a game network enviroment it's much harder to get users let alone multiple users from one console .

And it still all boil's down to one person log's in one time per/machine per day and the web traffic is tracked.

you are still not accounting for multiple user's per house hold. 

Actually those websites numbers are tracked just like Home is.  By user accounts....

this is so silly. 

It's become clear even you don't really believe it by the way you responded to truck.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Actually those websites numbers are tracked just like Home is.  By user accounts....

this is so silly. 

It's become clear even you don't really believe it by the way you responded to truck.

no what im saying is in 2010 the number was 14 it's now early 2013 and it's over 31 million that have as you stated "Tried" Playstation Home.

So what is the Active user base for playstation Home?

im Guessing it is in fact over,  way over 20 million active user's and it could very well be near or infact over 31 million , the number of House Hold  Active ps3 user's world wide in number due, mainly  to number of active user's  that we cannot track the number of Account's signed up for Playstation Home so the fact that upto 2010 the number was 14 million now 3 years later they have the number over 31? and you think its not even more than 10 million active user's?

New content made every week and pushed out weekly for 10 million userbase? if it was not that important why try to inflate the number Three times over than the real number of 10 million or less active user base? for publishing partner's? they would know their DLC item sales number's, when sony's publishing partner's or developer's have slow sales you hear about it , why not about a social platform with 10 million or less install base?

you cannot have it both way's, you cannot say on one hand we can track the data so we know those number's are bogus, when this site does not even track playstation Home usage number's or DLC content number's. You can take a guess but that does not mean you or my guess is right and the other is outright wrong, it just mean's that is your guess and another person has a guess.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
Kasz216 said:

this is so silly. 

no what im saying is in 2010 the number was 14 it's now early 2013 and it's over 31 million that have as youi stated "Tried" Playstation Home.

So what is the Active user base for playstation Home?

im Guessing it is in fact over way over 20 million active user's and it could very well be near 31 million.number of active user's to not be near that so the fact that upto 2010 the number was 14 million now 3 years later they have the number over 31? and you think its not even more than 10 million active user's?

Well yeah?   That's how these things work.  Espiecally when they're free.

For example, only around 27% of twitter accounts are active in any given month. 

A LOT of people try them out... and you don't get nearly as many retentions.

Not to mention... people just stop using stuff after a while.  It's not like userbase numbers only shoot upwords.  Even if you do have people that come back the next month... a lot of people qill quit a month or two in etc.

Eventually you just stop using stuff.

31 Million is total users ever.  It looks like even you have FINALLY come around to that fact and want to argue that it might be close.  Which fine... argue whatever you want.

That it was total users was the point in the first place.

For the rest i'd suggest just looking into this stuff a moderate amount.  I don't know what to tell you.   After a couple years.  Total users is going to be way bigger then active users for any moderatly popular website or service.

Kasz216 said:

while you brought up a very valid point, you also have to remember:

"For example, only around 27% of twitter accounts are active in any given month. 

Not to mention... people just stop using stuff after a while.  It's not like userbase numbers only shoot upwords.  Even if you do have people that come back the next month... a lot of people qill quit a month or two in etc"

that's was my main point this is not the same thing as twitter, retention on using playstation Home has thing's twitter does not do, for one if people still use playstation Home for a while they do tend to stick with such use because they have quite a bit invested into their avatar. unlike a virtual trophy, you avatar has 3d or wearable trophy's or items you unlock to put into any space you have some of those items have an active use for your avatar to interact with.

with also promo items , new special event's like E3 in Playstation Home many tend to keep using the service. Twitter really does not have such incentive.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

i use home on a fairly regular basis as it can be quite amusing to mess with people there and i would definitely say that the userbase for it probably isn't very large
aside from appeal in general and technical problems one significant reason for this imo is the attitude of the regular users themselves

Around the Network

I use PS Home around 1 hour a day, around 2 on weekends to talk to friends from other country's when I am taking a quick brake during gaming sessions, and I love all the anime/Japanese Pop couture stuff on it.^^

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

joeorc said:
Kasz216 said:

while you brought up a very valid point, you also have to remember:

"For example, only around 27% of twitter accounts are active in any given month. 

Not to mention... people just stop using stuff after a while.  It's not like userbase numbers only shoot upwords.  Even if you do have people that come back the next month... a lot of people qill quit a month or two in etc"

that's was my main point this is not the same thing as twitter, retention on using playstation Home has thing's twitter does not do, for one if people still use playstation Home for a while they do tend to stick with such use because they have quite a bit invested into their avatar. unlike a virtual trophy, you avatar has 3d or wearable trophy's or items you unlock to put into any space you have some of those items have an active use for your avatar to interact with.

with also promo items , new special event's like E3 in Playstation Home many tend to keep using the service. Twitter really does not have such incentive.

It doesn't really matter.  Twitter, Second Life... whatever.  Retenetion rates are really low... for pretty much anything, from services like twitter, to free to play MMORPGs.

When Asked about active home users the Sony PR line is "We share this info with retailers but won't release it publicly.".

Can you think of many reasons why you wouldn't share the number of active users with consumers when most companies use large active user base numbers as a marketing tool?  (And 32 million would be huge.  Hell 20 million would be huge.  Higher then WoW at it's peak.  Even free that's impressive)

If it was near those numbers Sony wouldn't be refusing to share that data.  They'd be shouting it from the hevens because it'd be preforming better then blockbuster games.

I don't doubt home has it's core user base, and sony makes a nice profit off it, and it's great for advertisers because it's a very cheap way to advertise/make a few quick bucks... (It's actually pretty cheat and easy to make money off ingame items, ask the amateur tf2 item makers who get a cut from valve.)

Your expectations though are really quite off and do nothing but tmake whatever Home actually does look bad.  Like people who make 5 million + predictions for a game that sells 1.5-2.5 Million.

Its boring to me. But one thing I might get interested in the future is Home+Gaikai+E3 recreating a fully functional virtual E3 and stream the games to PS4. (Theoretically they could even stream Nintendo and MS games Handheld and PC) Now that would be a reason to use Home. I would even pay for that.

Even in a core gamer website the 20% of active user in PSN Home is impressive.

ethomaz said:
Even in a core gamer website the 20% of active user in PSN Home is impressive.

Whatever you have to keep telling yourself man.  Even Joeoroc has finally come around to admitting he was wrong, even if he is still willing to quibble over how many users he thinks are active of that 31 million.

Internet polls on websites are really quite pointless because i'm sure a lot of people voted against it who don't even own a PS3, and a lot of people who voted for it just because they want to make all things PS3 look good.

Not to mention the multiple votes... and the fact a lot of people answered with "yes i've used it once or twice" indicating they should put no... but instead put yes as being an active user.

All that matters is Sony themelves says they won't release active userbase numbers to the public.  Therefore that number is clearly not active userbase.