By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo becoming software only in the home console market. Would it effect you or the industry?

Damn, Battlefield 4 is skipping Nintendo's console? Man, this is the first time in ALWAYS. MGS is no different (minus for those crappy 1 time cash in ports).

I think Nintendo is in deep trouble with all of these games not coming to their console that NEVER came to their console. I wonder how they'll respond to the same old news as always?

What is a Wii U owner to do, outside of spend the $50 on another game and not play Battlefield 4 or MGS, just like most of them never have before.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

Nintendo has proven to be incompetent in the hardware space both with limiting underpowered hardware but also with archaic OS/ services driving the hardware, they have however proven to be very competent on the software side of things where there games are beloved by many so much so that they move tons of games.

So the best thing Nintendo can do is exit the home hardware space, the competition is to fierce and Nintendo simply doesn't know how to effectively compete. Gamers would be much better served by Nintendo if the had Nintendo games on both Sony and Microsoft platforms. That way Nintendo can let Sony and Microsoft worry about hardware while Nintendo does what it does best, Nintendo games.

The Wii clearly showed how fickle the casual market is, when it was a hit it did huge numbers fast, but when the casuals moved to the next shinny tech, Wii numbers tanked, and now as a direct cause of that the WiiU is doing poor numbers. The only reason apple and now android excel in capturing the fickle casual market is because they release newer products every year, so the casual market always have that shinny new thing ever year. This is not how the console market works, so unless Nintendo releases a console every year to appease the fickle casual market they simply can't compete with the likes apple and android.

Think about this difference, in the console market it is software, the games that people want and this is why they buy the hardware, while new hardware does sell its self in the begging months after launch, it is software which drives hardware. This is why most people in forums always complain about any new console when it has little or no games, because in the console market software drives games. This is why new hardware is only released ever 6-8 years.
On the mobile/android markets, the one market that dominates the casuals, software is not the primary factor driving hardware, its hardware driving its self. No app is ever made exclusive to the newer mobiles/tablets which causes people to buy the hardware because of that app, no, instead the main selling point is the new shinny hardware which slightly more powerful so now it runs the same apps their previous devices ran but now a little faster.

This difference in the markets is why console makers like Sony and Microsoft and now Nintendo chase the core market and not the casual market, the core market consists of people who have gaming is a primary hobby, these people enjoy games and gaming and consume many games just as a movie buff would consume many movies during a year. Yes there is overlap here and there but the core market is a reliable market for not only console makers but also developers.

In anycase, having only 2 manufacturers making console is best, there is still healthy competation but also the car market can be evenly devided, with Nintendo making games on both Sony and Microsoft platforms so everyone can enjoy them just like people enjoy Sega games.

Welp thats my 2 cents.

jake_the_fake1 said:

In anycase, having only 2 manufacturers making console is best, there is still healthy competation but also the car market can be evenly devided, with Nintendo making games on both Sony and Microsoft platforms so everyone can enjoy them just like people enjoy Sega games.

Welp thats my 2 cents.

The bolded is the reason why we're afraid of Nintendo going software only.

A lot of Sega's games lately have been crap. Being exclusive to 1 platform pretty much forces Ninty software to be top quality. They're games don't just sell games but sell the actual hardware.

Say goodbye to all the smaller studios in Nintendo while they just focus on making Mario games if that ever happens.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I would be all for it. I could play Nintendo games on hardware that isn't a generation behind. They don't really seem to care about the hardware, or at least they aren't good at it anymore. I say this as someone who spent today playing Nintendoland.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

If Nintendo games were on Playstation or Xbox, they wouldn't be playable with the Wiimote or the Gamepad, which are much more interesting to me than standard dual analogue controllers. Yeah, PS4 has the touchpad, but that doesn't have as many applications as a second screen. Bottom line, I'd rather 7th gen power than 5th gen controllers.

Nintendo games are great because of how well the mesh with the hardware; that would probably be lost if they were multiplat.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

EDIT AGAIN: Since that question has been asked so much before.  Would Nintendo exiting the hardware console market effect the industry that much?

Yes, because going back to an earlier part of your post, Sony and Microsoft don't always make better hardware.

Would not really matter to me. Industry would also be fine without Nintendo.

I don't think main Metal Gear Solid games have ever appeared on a Nintendo console, maybe ports later on like MGS3 on 3DS. Battlefield I don't think has ever been on a Nintendo console either. So I don't really see this as any kind of indication of anything.

Anyway, if Nintendo stops making hardware, then I don't see why they would continue making games either. That's like saying if Apple stops making phones, would they continue making phone OSs and phone software?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Why would we care about these games when we are getting a xeno game, 101, bayonetta, monster hunter, lego city plus all nintendo 1st party goodness, by the end of the generation Nintendo will be successful to themselfs again, plus the 3ds is kicking butt with a current 30million install base, come on!

Why are people still surprised by those news ? Since N64, a LOT of games and franchises have been skipped from Nintendo Consoles, specially MGS, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter....... And Battlefield is just another generic FPS in this bloated genre that Nintendo consumers won´t probably care about. It has been like that for many years.

I do believe that Nintendo will eventually turn in a software company eventually, but i also believe that it will only happen when the console market dies. And we all know that everything is pointing to that in a not very distant future.

As for now, we know that Nintendo is the only company who is actually able to survive making games and consoles - unlike Sony and Microsoft who works with other kind of stuff besides videogames. While consoles exist Nintendo will keep manufacturing them.

Now, if there´s a even small possibility of Nintendo lefting the console production while the console market still existing, I´d bet there would be a fierce battle between Sony and MS to get their games exclusive.