By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo becoming software only in the home console market. Would it effect you or the industry?

First off Nintendo will never EVER go third party. Unless they hire some radical individual who thinks like Sega, EA and Activision; to run the company and starts milking the living dairy out of their software.

Plus if they really did go third party they would be even more unwelcomed since their past success would still over shadow other third party titles.

They said that the day they stopped making hardware will be the day they exit the business. They're taking their IPs with them to the ship they're sinking in. While it'll be the saddest day in my gaming life, it will best moment for me since they wont let any other company potentialy ruin their franchises (ahem.....Actvision, Sega, and even Capcom)

Around the Network

I'm talking about 1st party and Sony and microsofts 1st party offerings are weak compared to Nintendo, if people don't like Nintendo stop posting negative threads on the Nintendo forum, it seems people are doing it to try and get to Nintendo gamers and ruin there enjoyment with the system, I'm starting to think hd twin gamers have a chip on there shoulder or an inferiority complex

would be a real problem for me. Cause everyone knows Nintendo's games run, look and play so good cause they know their own hardware perfectly. I can guarantee that their games wouldn't be the same anymore.

JayWood2010 said:

And while yes Mario Kart has sold 33 million on the Wii Halo also sold around40 million on the X360 in the same time frame.  Let's not forget Call of Duty which has sold 73 million on the X360 and Battlefield with 12 million.  Gears is up to 18 million and fable at 9 million. Forza now at 15 million. And lastly Elder Scrolls which is at 11 million.  

Why on Earth are you comparing entire franchises (most with yearly iterations) to a single title...?

JayWood2010 said:
Osc89 said:
MegaDrive08 said:
Well loyal customers buy there hardware so that doesn't even make any sense, how can you be loyal if you don't buy there hardware?

I didn't say they don't buy it, I said they don't like it. I have a Wii U, because it was £200 for the premium and I love Nintendo games. But it is not a good console for anyone who has ever played on a PS360. If you only ever play Nintendo consoles I'm sure it's great. But they are very far behind the competition now.

I have the WiiU as well and it really doesn't offer me a better experience than my X360/PS3.  Miiverse has been interesting but modding on there is way to strict.  They dont really try with competitive online as far as i've seen and the OS is much better on X360 and PS3.  I buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games but Mario/Zelda etc doesn't excite me the way they use to.  If they went software only it would scare me that they would go the Sega route but as far as hardware they would be on better consoles.  It is slippery slope and as I said before I'd prefer them to stay in the hardware business, but in reality there hardware is the worst out of the 3.  I know they made motion controls popular but now the other two has motion controls themselves.  The second screen is interesting but not sure if it will take off or not.  Only time will tell on that one.

I completely agree. For me, it's the OS that is the biggest let down. I'm hoping it goes the same route as the PS3 and is updated numerous times to greatly improve it. However the fact that it has started out worse is not encouraging. I have also come to terms with Nintendo consoles being only for Nintendo games for me, but I don't particularly like it being that way.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:

And while yes Mario Kart has sold 33 million on the Wii Halo also sold around40 million on the X360 in the same time frame.  Let's not forget Call of Duty which has sold 73 million on the X360 and Battlefield with 12 million.  Gears is up to 18 million and fable at 9 million. Forza now at 15 million. And lastly Elder Scrolls which is at 11 million.  

Why on Earth are you comparing entire franchises (most with yearly iterations) to a single title...?

If you paid attention to what I said a single games numbers will get inlfated on a console if it is the only offering.  Let me say this for example.  If they would have released another Mario Kart 2 years after Mario Kart wii on the same console then Mario Kart Wii wii's numbers would be drastiacally lower.  Now I'll take Halo 3 which reached 12 million.  It could have increased as well over time if more halo games didnt release.  im not Saying that it would have sold more than Mario Kart Wii but Im saying as franchises in a whole MSFT and Sony's first parties are ranking up near Nintendos big titles on the same time frame.  Then you have 3rd parties which actually sell more than Nintendo's first party.  Each year Call of Duty sells about 20m across the HD twins and continues to sell well until the next installment in the franchise.

JayWood2010 said:
noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:

If you paid attention to what I said a single games numbers will get inlfated on a console if it is the only offering.  Let me say this for example.  If they would have released another Mario Kart 2 years after Mario Kart wii on the same console then Mario Kart Wii wii's numbers would be drastiacally lower.  Now I'll take Halo 3 which reached 12 million.  It could have increased as well over time if more halo games didnt release.  im not Saying that it would have sold more than Mario Kart Wii but Im saying as franchises in a whole MSFT and Sony's first parties are ranking up near Nintendos big titles on the same time frame.  Then you have 3rd parties which actually sell more than Nintendo's first party.  Each year Call of Duty sells about 20m across the HD twins and continues to sell well until the next installment in the franchise.

I did recall that. I also disregarded it because it's irrelevant. Most games are not evergreens, and the assertion that Halo 3 et al. would have kept selling steadily in perpetuity if no sequel was released is contrary to all data and even rational thought. You're essentially asserting that it's stupid of companies to release a sequel on the same platform.

I advise reconsidering this strategy. It isn't going to fly with any but the converted and the gullible.

JayWood2010 said:
noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:

You're only looking at unit sales for some reason. Why ignore that every Call of Duty release means another development cycle and another marketing budget? I would love to know how much money Activision has sunk into Call of Duty development and marketing this generation.

And it's too bad this site doesn't show publisher software totals anymore, because I never saw a third party shift more units in a year than Nintendo.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
JayWood2010 said:
noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:

You're only looking at unit sales for some reason. Why ignore that every Call of Duty release means another development cycle and another marketing budget? I would love to know how much money Activision has sunk into Call of Duty development and marketing this generation.

And it's too bad this site doesn't show publisher software totals anymore, because I never saw a third party shift more units in a year than Nintendo.

Do you honestly think Mario did better than Call of Duty this generation as far as the main series goes?

The world would implode or explode I dunno by the sheer logic of people bashing nintendo games that now buy Nintendo.

They would go from:

Oh my god I hate Nintendo games because I have some serious issue and define my manhood/coolness based on how grey/brown my games are!

to

OH MY GOD I LOVE THOSE GAMES! All the colors! and either I LOVE MY LIFE! or I CAN DIE HAPPY NOW.

This would result in either a mass suicide because of (I can die happy now mentality) or overpopulation because everyone would be happy and would start to procreate.

ATTENTION FLAWED LOGIC INCOMING:

The mass suicide would result in 7 billion people less on our planet and our planet would drastically expand and explode because there is no pressure from outside (humans) that keep it in place. (it would explode like a balloon with to much air inside)

The overpopulation would result in all humans weighing more than our planet can handle and the earth crust would collapse (this would end in an implosion and possible black hole)

CONCLUSION:
Nintendo should not become a third party / software only company. Sony should