By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo becoming software only in the home console market. Would it effect you or the industry?

JayWood2010 said:
MegaDrive08 said:
But that's again your personal opinion, that doesn't mean everyone who has a wiiu thinks that because i certainly don't, I find the ps3 very boring compared to the wiiu, and the ps3/360 can't compete with Nintendo when it comes to it's games

I'll admit that is an opinion butX360/Ps3 does offer more content on the OS.   

As far as games I'd argue agains that.  The main ones that come to my mind for Nintendo is Mario, pokemon, Zelda, and Donky Kong.  Pokemon primarily isn't huge on home consoles.  And while yes Mario Kart has sold 33 million on the Wii Halo also sold around40 million on the X360 in the same time frame.  Let's not forget Call of Duty which has sold 73 million on the X360 and Battlefield with 12 million.  Gears is up to 18 million and fable at 9 million. Forza now at 15 million. And lastly Elder Scrolls which is at 11 million.  

PS3 with it's heavy hitters Has Gran Turismo, God of War and Uncharted along with it's 3rd party support which will play out similarly to X360's library.

The big difference in Nintendo and the HD Twins is that Nintendo sells games for long periods of times which extends one games legs but in the same time frame Sony/MSFT will release more from one series and trump that one game in sales overall.  Not to mention huge 3rd party games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Resident Evil, etc.  If sony/MSFT didnt release the next installment 2 years later then they would also have inflated numbers for each game because that would be all people could buy.

You are looking at Nintendos numbers ignoring time frames which is giving you only half of the information so no.  Miscrosoft/Sony has both competed very well in 1st part and trumped Nintendo in 3rd party.

1 game(mario kart wii) sold 33 million, 5 games(halo 3, reach, odst, 1 ce, 4) sold 40 million, I would say that's a win for mario kart.  Again, you are comparing 1 franchise with another, even though one franchise is constantly rehashed(COD) while the other constantly changes(Basically every first party on the wii), yes COD sold 73 million, but so did wii sports, and that was just one game compared to 6.  Gears sold 18 million, NSMBW sold 26, battlefield sold 12 million, wii fit and wii fit U sold a combined 44 million. 

You argue that those sales are inflated but keep in mind that generally games sell really well in the first month then quickly die off.  The only reason why COD keeps selling is because those same 14 million consumers keep buying the same game, if they were released every 2 years, you would NOT see 28 million sales, you would see maybe 15 million.  But Nintendo is different, WITHOUT decent 3rd party support the wii still sold over 100 million more software units than the 360.

So as far as games are concerned, I would argue(with numbers to prove it) that Nintendo's 1st party easily trumps microsofts/sony, but Microsofts/Sony's 3rd party easily trumps the Nintendo's.

References

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/7/xbox-360/

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/2/wii/

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network

not really last nintendo game I played was back in 2011, there are many other talented devs out there

JakDaSnack said:
JayWood2010 said:
MegaDrive08 said:
But that's again your personal opinion, that doesn't mean everyone who has a wiiu thinks that because i certainly don't, I find the ps3 very boring compared to the wiiu, and the ps3/360 can't compete with Nintendo when it comes to it's games

As far as games I'd argue agains that.  The main ones that come to my mind for Nintendo is Mario, pokemon, Zelda, and Donky Kong.  Pokemon primarily isn't huge on home consoles.  And while yes Mario Kart has sold 33 million on the Wii Halo also sold around40 million on the X360 in the same time frame.  Let's not forget Call of Duty which has sold 73 million on the X360 and Battlefield with 12 million.  Gears is up to 18 million and fable at 9 million. Forza now at 15 million. And lastly Elder Scrolls which is at 11 million.  

PS3 with it's heavy hitters Has Gran Turismo, God of War and Uncharted along with it's 3rd party support which will play out similarly to X360's library.

The big difference in Nintendo and the HD Twins is that Nintendo sells games for long periods of times which extends one games legs but in the same time frame Sony/MSFT will release more from one series and trump that one game in sales overall.  Not to mention huge 3rd party games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Resident Evil, etc.  If sony/MSFT didnt release the next installment 2 years later then they would also have inflated numbers for each game because that would be all people could buy.

You are looking at Nintendos numbers ignoring time frames which is giving you only half of the information so no.  Miscrosoft/Sony has both competed very well in 1st part and trumped Nintendo in 3rd party.

1 game(mario kart wii) sold 33 million, 5 games(halo 3, reach, odst, 1 ce, 4) sold 40 million, I would say that's a win for mario kart.  Again, you are comparing 1 franchise with another, even though one franchise is constantly rehashed(COD) while the other constantly changes(Basically every first party on the wii), yes COD sold 73 million, but so did wii sports, and that was just one game compared to 6.  Gears sold 18 million, NSMBW sold 26, battlefield sold 12 million, wii fit and wii fit U sold a combined 44 million. 

You argue that those sales are inflated but keep in mind that generally games sell really well in the first month then quickly die off.  The only reason why COD keeps selling is because those same 14 million consumers keep buying the same game, if they were released every 2 years, you would NOT see 28 million sales, you would see maybe 15 million.  But Nintendo is different, WITHOUT decent 3rd party support the wii still sold over 100 million more software units than the 360.

So as far as games are concerned, I would argue(with numbers to prove it) that Nintendo's 1st party easily trumps microsofts/sony, but Microsofts/Sony's 3rd party easily trumps the Nintendo's.

References

Now tell me which one makes more money.  Mario Kart or Call of Duy in 6 years time.  Keep in mind Call of Duy has sold roughly 150 million copies across X360/PS3/PC.

Now please tell me which one makes more money

JayWood2010 said:
JakDaSnack said:
JayWood2010 said:
MegaDrive08 said:

References

Now tell me which one makes more money.  Mario Kart or Call of Duy in 6 years time.  Keep in mind Call of Duy has sold roughly 150 million copies across X360/PS3/PC.

I don't understand what the point of comparing COD and mario kart is?  Please elaborate before I start playing your little game.

My point is that Nintendo's FIRST party games trump microsofts and Sonys.  How does comparing a first party game to a 3rd party game matter in this debate?

Something...Something...Games...Something

JakDaSnack said:
JayWood2010 said:
JakDaSnack said:
JayWood2010 said:
MegaDrive08 said:

References

I don't understand what the point of comparing COD and mario kart is?  Please elaborate before I start playing your little game.

My point is that Nintendo's FIRST party games trump microsofts and Sonys.  How does comparing a first party game to a 3rd party game matter in this debate?

he was talking about sales

Around the Network
JakDaSnack said:
JayWood2010 said:
JakDaSnack said:
JayWood2010 said:
MegaDrive08 said:

References

Because nintendo's 3rd parties do nothing.  It is pretty much exclusive to the HD twins when they ignore nintendo.  Somebody before said that games dont compare to nintendo games but 3rd parties has very well and in some cases trumped nintendo.  Halo has sold 40 million this generation and I would say halo is bigger than zelda.  That is nintendos 2nd biggest franchise right?  Mario is big but what other games sell like mario?

Halo 3 outsold Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, and all of the zeldas.  Those are the three biggest core titles on nintendo's home consoles besides Mario kart , NSMB, so yes the first parties compete with Nintendo as well.

JayWood2010 said:

In your example? Mario Kart Wii was more profitable.

Can you tell me why the above is true?

noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Where did I say that Mario Kart was more profitable?  Not only has CoD been bigger than Mario this gen on home consoles but Halo and GT has been bigger than Zelda.  That is Nintendo's second biggest franchise on home consoles.

JayWood2010 said:
noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Where did I say that Mario Kart was more profitable?  Not only has CoD been bigger than Mario this gen on home consoles but Halo and GT has been bigger than Zelda.  That is Nintendo's second biggest franchise on home consoles.

Zelda is hardly that.

And you didn't say Mario Kart was more profitable. In fact, you implied the opposite. Because your logic is faulty.

But I did answer your question.

noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:
noname2200 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Zelda is hardly that.

And you didn't say Mario Kart was more profitable. In fact, you implied the opposite. Because your logic is faulty.

But I did answer your question.

What would be Nintendo's second biggest console franchise besides mario then?