By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo becoming software only in the home console market. Would it effect you or the industry?

I would never want Nintendo to go software only. They make the best games with the freedom of their own hardware. It definitely wouldn't be pleasing to play my Mario and Zelda game on my PlayStation controller.

Around the Network

Well loyal customers buy there hardware so that doesn't even make any sense, how can you be loyal if you don't buy there hardware?

Come on guys, lets be real here. Nintendo's handhelds always sell crazy well, if Nintendo abandoned their home consoles they wouldn't go 3rd party, they would just have all of their home console software teams make games for their future handhelds. We would just get a ton of games for the 3ds/4ds or whatever.

Something...Something...Games...Something

MegaDrive08 said:
Well loyal customers buy there hardware so that doesn't even make any sense, how can you be loyal if you don't buy there hardware?

I didn't say they don't buy it, I said they don't like it. I have a Wii U, because it was £200 for the premium and I love Nintendo games. But it is not a good console for anyone who has ever played on a PS360. If you only ever play Nintendo consoles I'm sure it's great. But they are very far behind the competition now.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Well I've played ps3/360 and love my wiiu, and you cant just base your opinion on yourself.

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
MegaDrive08 said:

I didn't say they don't buy it, I said they don't like it. I have a Wii U, because it was £200 for the premium and I love Nintendo games. But it is not a good console for anyone who has ever played on a PS360. If you only ever play Nintendo consoles I'm sure it's great. But they are very far behind the competition now.

I have the WiiU as well and it really doesn't offer me a better experience than my X360/PS3.  Miiverse has been interesting but modding on there is way to strict.  They dont really try with competitive online as far as i've seen and the OS is much better on X360 and PS3.  I buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games but Mario/Zelda etc doesn't excite me the way they use to.  If they went software only it would scare me that they would go the Sega route but as far as hardware they would be on better consoles.  It is slippery slope and as I said before I'd prefer them to stay in the hardware business, but in reality there hardware is the worst out of the 3.  I know they made motion controls popular but now the other two has motion controls themselves.  The second screen is interesting but not sure if it will take off or not.  Only time will tell on that one.

But that's again your personal opinion, that doesn't mean everyone who has a wiiu thinks that because i certainly don't, I find the ps3 very boring compared to the wiiu, and the ps3/360 can't compete with Nintendo when it comes to it's games

i like nintendo consoles for most part, well past consoles, and if they went to being a software company i think they would rake in the money, they would be like rockstar with big releases for the consoles. i say they keep the portable market going but the console market is too expensive for them in these times, maybe later on down the road and blow the doors off in 6 years and get a head start on the competition perhaps.

MegaDrive08 said:
But that's again your personal opinion, that doesn't mean everyone who has a wiiu thinks that because i certainly don't, I find the ps3 very boring compared to the wiiu, and the ps3/360 can't compete with Nintendo when it comes to it's games

I'll admit that is an opinion butX360/Ps3 does offer more content on the OS.   

As far as games I'd argue agains that.  The main ones that come to my mind for Nintendo is Mario, pokemon, Zelda, and Donky Kong.  Pokemon primarily isn't huge on home consoles.  And while yes Mario Kart has sold 33 million on the Wii Halo also sold around40 million on the X360 in the same time frame.  Let's not forget Call of Duty which has sold 73 million on the X360 and Battlefield with 12 million.  Gears is up to 18 million and fable at 9 million. Forza now at 15 million. And lastly Elder Scrolls which is at 11 million.  

PS3 with it's heavy hitters Has Gran Turismo, God of War and Uncharted along with it's 3rd party support which will play out similarly to X360's library.

The big difference in Nintendo and the HD Twins is that Nintendo sells games for long periods of times which extends one games legs but in the same time frame Sony/MSFT will release more from one series and trump that one game in sales overall.  Not to mention huge 3rd party games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Resident Evil, etc.  If sony/MSFT didnt release the next installment 2 years later then they would also have inflated numbers for each game because that would be all people could buy.

You are looking at Nintendos numbers ignoring time frames which is giving you only half of the information so no.  Miscrosoft/Sony has both competed very well in 1st part and trumped Nintendo in 3rd party.

No, Wii U its a great Console ,and will heave amazing game .

that question is since game cube and nintendo show will never go third party