By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 can be the rpg console of 2008

Riachu said:
Lord N said:

The 360 may have more RPG's than the other two, but it's too bad that they've all been unmitigated failures as far as sales and notoriety are concerned.

That's because they were either: (A)RPGs that were not marketed well ie Blue Dragon or (B)new IPs that weren't hyped ie Eternal Sonata

You also should know that many Xbox360 owners don't like Japanese RPGs partially because they are stereotyped to have anime style graphics and/or lenghty cutscenes which doesn't appeal to the FPS only crowd.

I was just going to get into that.

Th 360 was designed and marketed with the core and hardcore american gamer in mind, and these people are probably happy with the shooters, racing sims, and sports games that are piling up in the library and aren't going to pay much attention to anything else, especially unproven IP's.

All of the proven RPG's that have wide notoriety such as FFXIII, DQIX, Kingdom Hearts III, White Knight Chronicles, Disgaea, Shin Megami Tensei, etc are going to be on Sony and Nintendo consoles/handhelds.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network
brute said:

@: XtM3: 

He know that.  That's why he didn't put (exclusive) beside it.

EDIT: Didn't mean to quote brute.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
gebx said:
Lord N said:

The 360 may have more RPG's than the other two, but it's too bad that they've all been unmitigated failures as far as sales and notoriety are concerned.

Western RPG's where definelty not failures concerning sales. Blue Dragon achieved what it was suppose to do in Japan, Eternal Sonata also helped increase Japanese sales. The only game that could be considered a failure would be LO in Japan. Yet it still hasn't been released in U.S. and/or Europe.

Considering that the 360 still hasn't even sold 600K in Japan in more than two years on the market, I'm not so sure as to what Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata were supposed to do unless it was to increase the 360 userbase in Japan from downright godawful to absolutely abyssmal.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

It's hard to call a console "The RPG Console" because there are 2 very different types of RPGs. Western style and Japanese style. The 360 has more western style and the PS3 will have more JRPGs.

It depends on what you like. For some, myself included, western style are much more enjoyable. Japanese style aren't even RPGs to me, they aren't even at the level of Choose Your Own Adventure books. They are more like interactive movies. The story progresses the same no matter what I try to do and I never get the feeling that I am taking the role of anyone. The most they can do is try to mix up the way you tell Androgynous Male(?) Character A to hit Monster B with 900lb Steel Claws, that only seem to hit you for 2HP of damage of your 90,000, with a sword/gun/Chevy Nova bumper staff over and over again until the monster does the proper death animation and evaporates prompting the victorious Lladró party to do the same victory dance they did 50 times earlier in the same day so eventually they can be powerful enough to defeat the 98lb weakling thug that’s going to run away after they beat him up but will already have almost killed their father and will give a 5 minute speech on why he killed their father while he is exiting the 10x20 room that a dragon was just summoned in, but was seemingly nice enough to tidy up after blasting the still snappily dressed escaping villain with a slightly scaled down version of Fat Man, and the father, who evidently is immune to all the drugs/magic/power/stones that bring anyone of the party back to tip top shape from being stomped on by an apartment building with tentacles, will give his own 10 minute spiel before finally fucking dying and giving the main already angst-ridden, androgynous, male character the prompting to bring bloody vengeance to the androgynous male or waif female arch-villain who is really just a reluctant and tragic noble pawn for a greater evil that is the size of a flying USS Nimitz and has been lying in wait to destroy the planet but slaps you like he was disciplining a puppy . Some people love them and get into the stories, but I don't. I used to like them, but now they bore me.

So, the 360 is the RPG console for me since I X out all JRPGs on the list and all the western style RPGs are on it. Someone else though, may love JRPGs so that can swing it another direction.

So, "The RPG Console" is going to vary depending on personal tastes. I think it gets easier if you break down the genres because they really are very different.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Why is it that people feel 360 hasn't evolved from what the original Xbox was? When it comes to video game consoles the generations don't just repeat over and over. Maybe because the Playstation 1 & 2 were almost identical people think things have to be that way. Before Sony was making consoles there were great RPG's. Yes the PS1 & 2 had a great selection and some of the best ever. That doesn't mean only great RPG's can come out on a Sony system. If you people are real RPG fans you would've been playing the great RPG's that have been released on the 360 already.

I see people name dropping Final Fantasy like every one has been the end-all be-all of JRPG's. Any real fan of the genre would tell you there are better JRPG's out there. I see people hyping White Knight story and then turn there nose up at Infinite Undiscovery. That's not being a fan of an role-playing games. That's being a fan of a particular console.

This reminds me of all the people who use to hate on Virtua Fighter back in the day when it was on Sega Saturn and then Dreamcast. As soon as it was released on the PS2 it became the best and most realistic fighting game they've ever played.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
it's no different than 07, with Trusty Bell and Blue Dragon. and what did they do on Xbox?

Let's face it, Xbox will NEVER be a place RPG hardcore gamers look for JRPG games, the sooner Microsoft gives up and focus on what they do best, the better they will be.

I disagree.  You don't have to sell many copies to hit the hardcore RPG gamers.  Cause there arn't many out there.

Honestly i think there arn't more then 500,000 hardcore RPG fans.

Other then that you've just got people who like to play 1 or 2 RPGs a generation... preferably with Final and or Fantasy in the title.

Released and Announced JRPGs by Platform:

Wii

Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
King's Story
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 3 (unlikely to be released in English)
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk
Monster Hunter 3
Sword of Legendia
Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Opoona
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Young King and the Promised Land
Baroque
The Legend of the River King (unlikely to be released in English)

PS3

Enchanted Arms
Mist of Chaos
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
The Last Remnant
White Knight Story
Eternal Sonata
Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles
Disgaea 3
Steambot Chronicles 2
Mist of Chaos (unlikely to be released in English)
Tears to Tiara (unlikely to be released in English)
Recod of Agarast War (unlikely to be released in English)

Xbox 360

Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Enchanted Arms
Phantasy Star Universe
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon 2
The Last Remnant
Apocalypse: Desire Next
Far East of Eden Ziria

PSP:

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Tales of Eternia
Jeanne D'Arc
Brave Story: New Traveler
Breath of Fire III
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd
Legend of Heroes
Legend of Heroes 2
Legend of Heroes 3
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

DS:

Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest Hereos: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimmoire of the Rift
Front Mission 1st
Font Mission 2089: Border of Madness
Heroes of Mana
Children of Mana
It's a Wonderful World (The World Ends With You outside Japan)
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
Tales of Innocence
Sonic RPG (Western and Japanese Collaboration)
Inazuma Eleven
Blue Dragon Plus
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Fire Emblem: Dragon of Darkness and Sword of Light
Etrian Odyssey
Digimon World DS
Digimon World: Sunburst/Moonlight
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2 Will
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2
Pokemon Ranger
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Rune Factory 2
Xenosaga I & II
Lunar DS
Lunar Knights
Contact
Izuna
Etrian Odyssey 2
Egg Monster Hero
Shiren the Wanderer DS
Magical Starsign
Mega Man Star Force (Leo, Dragon, Pegasus)
Mega Man Star Force 2 (Berserk X Shinobi and Berserk X Dinosaur)
Summon Night: Twin Age
Tales of the Tempest
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
LostMagic
Spectrobes
Spectrobes 2
Soma Bringer
Fire Emblem DS

Conclusion: Calling anything but the DS the RPG console is a joke. It's not really fair to combine Western and Japanese RPGs because they are very different in style, gameplay, and audience. If we really want to compare home consoles, and leave out the DS, the Wii has more JRPGs announced for it in under a year on the market than the PS3 and 360. That's what comes with being market leader in Japan.

JRPGs are a niche genre and other than Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest don't sell well. Basically no JRPGs other than Final Fantasy and maybe a couple others by Square have any chance of making a profit on the PS3 or 360, and there are a lot of RPGs in Japan that aren't made by Square... they are mostly on the Wii, as well as a few by Square. Basically the only JRPGs on the 360 and PS3 are paid for by Sony and Microsoft, or were developed long before it became apparent that the PS3 and 360 are largely irrelevant in Japan.

naznatips said:

Released and Announced JRPGs by Platform:

DS:

Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest Hereos: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimmoire of the Rift
Front Mission 1st
Font Mission 2089: Border of Madness
Heroes of Mana
Children of Mana
It's a Wonderful World (The World Ends With You outside Japan)
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
Tales of Innocence
Sonic RPG (Western and Japanese Collaboration)
Inazuma Eleven
Blue Dragon Plus
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Fire Emblem: Dragon of Darkness and Sword of Light
Etrian Odyssey
Digimon World DS
Digimon World: Sunburst/Moonlight
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2 Will
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2
Pokemon Ranger
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Rune Factory 2
Xenosaga I & II
Lunar DS
Lunar Knights
Contact
Izuna
Etrian Odyssey 2
Egg Monster Hero
Shiren the Wanderer DS
Magical Starsign
Mega Man Star Force (Leo, Dragon, Pegasus)
Mega Man Star Force 2 (Berserk X Shinobi and Berserk X Dinosaur)
Summon Night: Twin Age
Tales of the Tempest
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
LostMagic
Spectrobes
Spectrobes 2
Soma Bringer
Fire Emblem DS

Conclusion: Calling anything but the DS the RPG console is a joke. It's not really fair to combine Western and Japanese RPGs because they are very different in style, gameplay, and audience. If we really want to compare home consoles, and leave out the DS, the Wii has more JRPGs announced for it in under a year on the market than the PS3 and 360 combined. That's what comes with being market leader in Japan.

JRPGs are a niche genre and other than Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest don't sell well. Basically no JRPGs other than Final Fantasy and maybe a couple others by Square have any chance of making a profit on the PS3 or 360, and there are a lot of RPGs in Japan that aren't made by Square... they are all on the Wii, as well as a few by Square.

It's really not fair to call the DS the king of RPG's with all those remakes, but that's just my opinion. Also western RPG's seem to sell pretty well so I do think there is a reason they should be listed. 

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:

It's really not fair to call the DS the king of RPG's with all those remakes, but that's just my opinion. Also western RPG's seem to sell pretty well so I do think there is a reason they should be listed.

Well first, even if you take out every single remake in there, it's more than double the next largest list.  It also includes the 2 biggest Japanese RPG franchises: Pokemon and Dragon Quest.  The DS is the undeniable JRPG champion.  Western goes to the 360.  The PS3 has Final Fantasy... and the Wii has the most of the home consoles.  

I never said Wester RPGs didn't sell well. I just said they weren't comparable to JRPGs.  They have a different gameplay, style, and audience.  Wii Play and Halo 3 both sell well, but does that mean they should be discussed together and looped as having the same appeal? Of course not. 

@ Naz

- The Last Remnant
- Operation Darkness
- Apocalypse: Desire Next
- Far East of Eden Ziria

and then add the WRPG's (It's an RPG thread, lets not discrimanate)

- Too Human
- Mass Effect
- Oblivion
- Fable 2
- Fallout 3
- Two Worlds

and finally why not add MMO RPG's ??
- Warhammer Online
- Age of Conan

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)