By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii is a fad claim revisited.

Was Wii a fad?

Yes 219 55.30%

No 147 37.12%

Hesitant to say one way o... 29 7.32%

Total:395
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

If the Wii is a fad, what does that make the 360 and PS3? Road bumps? Minor blips on the radar?

In case you couldn't tell, I voted "no".

well if it wasn't a fad please tell me why its successer is selling as bad as vita, please don't tell it has no games, it has mario, zombieu, call of duty and batman, at 299$-349$ if people still cared about the wii brand it would be selling at least 2x better.

So you're saying it has what is basically an expansion to SMBWii, a decent zombie game that is not for everyone, and a bunch of ports of games people can play on PS3/360 already.

Also I guess that would mean the Sega Genesis and SNES were fads, since the next consoles from Sega/Nintendo got their asses kicked in sales. Also the PS2 must have been a fad because the PS3 has sold what.. half as much?

Thanks for clearing all of this up.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

If the Wii is a fad, what does that make the 360 and PS3? Road bumps? Minor blips on the radar?

well if it wasn't a fad please tell me why its successer is selling as bad as vita, please don't tell it has no games, it has mario, zombieu, call of duty and batman, at 299$-349$ if people still cared about the wii brand it would be selling at least 2x better.

WOW!

I didn't realize that the PS2 was a fad.  But the PS3 sold horribly at launch, so that makes its predecessor a fad!

ps3 was 500-599$ also check ps3 first holiday in europe, its main bread and butter, it sold 2 million there, look at wiiu sales in its first holiday in europe, ps3 is actually doing much better if you factor in that its missed its be the best 2 months for sales in europe which wiiu got because ps3 launched in march, while were talking about sales the momentum is dead for wiiu, ps3 lowest week worldwide is about 4x higher then wiiu i think, and then third party's are not supporting the console 

Hey, man.  It's your logic.  Don't be mad.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

everything is a fad, got it.

J_Allard said:
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

So you're saying it has what is basically an expansion to SMBWii, a decent zombie game that is not for everyone, and a bunch of ports of games people can play on PS3/360 already.

Also I guess that would mean the Sega Genesis and SNES were fads, since the next consoles from Sega/Nintendo got their asses kicked in sales. Also the PS2 must have been a fad because the PS3 has sold what.. half as much?

no fads are something that become irrivalant, after being the hottest thing on the market, sega genesis never domianted the market, it sold 34 million-37 million and lost to super nes, n64 managed to sell 10 million less then super nes, not a huge deal, and if wiiu manages 30 million, i won't call the wii a fad.

ninjablade said:
J_Allard said:
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

no fads are something that become irrivalant, after being the hottest thing on the market, sega genesis never domianted the market, it sold 34 million-37 million and lost to super nes, n64 managed to sell 10 million less then super nes, not a huge deal, and if wiiu manages 30 million, i won't call the wii a fad.

PS1 and PS2 seem entirely irrelevant right now. Fads confirmed.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
ninjablade said:
J_Allard said:
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

PS1 and PS2 seem entirely irrelevant right now. Fads confirmed.

i'm talking about the brands like xbox, wii, playstation those are the 3 brands we have now and one is becoming irrevelant at the moment after dominating.

ninjablade said:

Lol I remember everybody saying it would out sell ps2, it did sell faster then it for the first 3-4 years, why would it reach market saruration so fast, it was on pace to beat ps2 and then fell off the cliff.

"why would it reach market saruration so fast"

"I remember everybody saying it would out sell ps2, it did sell faster then it for the first 3-4 years"

I think you answered yourself.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
ninjablade said:

Lol I remember everybody saying it would out sell ps2, it did sell faster then it for the first 3-4 years, why would it reach market saruration so fast, it was on pace to beat ps2 and then fell off the cliff.

"I remember everybody saying it would out sell ps2, it did sell faster then it for the first 3-4 years"

no, it sold faster then ps2, a bit faster, so i don't see how i answered myself, but i know the reason why it stopped selling.

ninjablade said:
Mnementh said:
ninjablade said:

no, it sold faster then ps2, a bit faster, so i don't see how i answered myself, but i know the reason why it stopped selling.

Yes, sure you know it, you said it. It sold faster than the PS2 and therefore reached market saturation faster. Thanks for your insight.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
ninjablade said:
Mnementh said:
ninjablade said:

Yes, sure you know it, you said it. It sold faster than the PS2 and therefore reached market saturation faster. Thanks for your insight.

dude they were basically sold the same, wiiu had one where it sold 3 million more but thanks for your input very useful.