By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii is a fad claim revisited.

Was Wii a fad?

Yes 219 55.30%

No 147 37.12%

Hesitant to say one way o... 29 7.32%

Total:395
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
wii was a fad and so is kinect but its not a bad thing, even nintendo knows this or else they would have made a more powerful console with an upgraded wii mote. if you wanna know what's not a fad its the PlayStation brand for consoles, why? well because its always releases a powerful system each generation, great third party, good marketing and a brand so powerful it over came 599$.

PS1/PS2 were weak lol. All of that and Playstation brand still came in laok wanna makest this gen. Overcame $599? Still hasnt made a dime and still playing catch up is not a sign of overcoming anything.

ps1 was powerful for its time and ps2 was more powerful then any pc on the market for its time, just because a console that released a year and half later were more powerful doesn't mean it was weak and so what if it hasn't made a dime, it not about winning the battle its about winning the war, sony will end up selling over 90 milliion units when this gen is over and in great position for nextgen.

Lol, Ninty has already sold 100 million, by time PS4 even releases it will be up against Nintys juggernauts. Sony is not in excellent position for next gen at all. Broke and they have big games announced for it exclusively yet.

wanna make a bet 6 months sig control ps4 out sells wiiu 2 to 1 in 2014.

I would rather do a permaban, but that could work. To make it more fair for you because what you are suggesting is completely illogical. Which ever sells more that year? Why not which ever sells more this holiday? Only if PS4 releases globally ofcourse.

we can do permaban.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Max King of the Wild said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'm not attacking your definition of a fad, you're free to define it how you want. I didn't quote sales numbers for a reason, I only spoke of sales trends i.e. sales exploding then after a 5 year run dying off very quickly... that's the question I'm asking... does this trend constitute a fad in your eyes?

I was 7 in '94. To be more specific what constitutes as a fad in my eyes you would need to look at market trends during that time. That's why I don't agree with Ps1 vs Wii comparison because the market is so drastically different. As for if the Ps1 was a fad I honestly don't know. I have disagreed with people claiming Ps2 was a fad but I couldn't do that same concerning the Ps1 because I don't remember what the market was like 20 years ago. Nor do I know what the market trends and norms were

I know the hula hoop was a fad but I wasn't alive in the 1950s. The PS1 saw incredible never-before seen sales when it was new and fizzled out after 5 years, does that constitue a fad?

Am I to understand you won't be providing an answer to my question?

If Wii is a fad, so is PS1. Since according to him PS3 is a success because it sold more than NES and SNES.

how is selling over 75 million not a success.

Because its competitors sold more and it lost millions.

dahuman said:

I've never seen a fad that lasted this long before in my entire life, so if the Wii is a fad, then so are most things that don't last more than 6 years and didn't sell 100mil, and that category only belongs to the PS2 and Nintendo Handhelds lol.

there are reasons why wi is considered a fad, sales dropped like a rock and its successer is selling 120,000 units world wide a month. if that's that a fad i don't know what is.

ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
wii was a fad and so is kinect but its not a bad thing, even nintendo knows this or else they would have made a more powerful console with an upgraded wii mote. if you wanna know what's not a fad its the PlayStation brand for consoles, why? well because its always releases a powerful system each generation, great third party, good marketing and a brand so powerful it over came 599$.

PS1/PS2 were weak lol. All of that and Playstation brand still came in laok wanna makest this gen. Overcame $599? Still hasnt made a dime and still playing catch up is not a sign of overcoming anything.

ps1 was powerful for its time and ps2 was more powerful then any pc on the market for its time, just because a console that released a year and half later were more powerful doesn't mean it was weak and so what if it hasn't made a dime, it not about winning the battle its about winning the war, sony will end up selling over 90 milliion units when this gen is over and in great position for nextgen.

Lol, Ninty has already sold 100 million, by time PS4 even releases it will be up against Nintys juggernauts. Sony is not in excellent position for next gen at all. Broke and they have big games announced for it exclusively yet.

wanna make a bet 6 months sig control ps4 out sells wiiu 2 to 1 in 2014.

I would rather do a permaban, but that could work. To make it more fair for you because what you are suggesting is completely illogical. Which ever sells more that year? Why not which ever sells more this holiday? Only if PS4 releases globally ofcourse.

we can do permaban.

What about a bet for this holiday? 2014 is too far from now. Unless you arent as confident in WiiU failing as you claim you are?

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:

I've never seen a fad that lasted this long before in my entire life, so if the Wii is a fad, then so are most things that don't last more than 6 years and didn't sell 100mil, and that category only belongs to the PS2 and Nintendo Handhelds lol.

there are reasons why wi is considered a fad, sales dropped like a rock and its successer is selling 120,000 units world wide a month. if that's that a fad i don't know what is.

Then the PS2 is a fad since PS3 sold like crap. So is PSP. Sales dropped like a rock for PS1 as well making it a fad. Thanks for the info bud.

Around the Network
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'm not attacking your definition of a fad, you're free to define it how you want. I didn't quote sales numbers for a reason, I only spoke of sales trends i.e. sales exploding then after a 5 year run dying off very quickly... that's the question I'm asking... does this trend constitute a fad in your eyes?

I was 7 in '94. To be more specific what constitutes as a fad in my eyes you would need to look at market trends during that time. That's why I don't agree with Ps1 vs Wii comparison because the market is so drastically different. As for if the Ps1 was a fad I honestly don't know. I have disagreed with people claiming Ps2 was a fad but I couldn't do that same concerning the Ps1 because I don't remember what the market was like 20 years ago. Nor do I know what the market trends and norms were

I know the hula hoop was a fad but I wasn't alive in the 1950s. The PS1 saw incredible never-before seen sales when it was new and fizzled out after 5 years, does that constitue a fad?

If Wii is a fad, so is PS1. Since according to him PS3 is a success because it sold more than NES and SNES.

i understand where your coming from, sony made mistake but they are still in the game, huge third party support, still the biggest brand in gaming, currently selling  best world wide, they can fix all thos mistakes with ps4 and dominate, ps3 cost sony 840$ to make, while ps4 is looking like 500-550$, huge difference this time.

dahuman said:

Backstreet Boys, Skateboarding, Hoola hoops, and almost evey fad I can think of is still around

phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:

Then the PS2 is a fad since . So is PSP. Sales dropped like a rock for PS1 as well making it a fad. Thanks for the info bud.

selling over 76 million is not crap dude, its great. it will finish at 90 million, how is that bad.

ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:

i understand where your coming from, sony made mistake but they are still in the game, huge third party support, still the biggest brand in gaming, currently selling  best world wide, they can fix all thos mistakes with ps4 and dominate, ps3 cost sony 840$ to make, while ps4 is looking like 500-550$, huge difference this time.

I wouldn't bother with him. He has no understanding of a concept such as failure/success. He really has no clue what he is talking about and makes absolutly zero sense when trying to make a point. I have reported him 3 seperate times in this thread alone for trolling and being off topic.

ninjablade said:
phenom08 said:
ninjablade said:

PS1/PS2 were weak lol. All of that and Playstation brand still came in last this gen. Overcame $599? Still hasnt made a dime and still playing catch up is not a sign of overcoming anything.

I don't know if you remember, but during PS2 launch till Dreamcast's death, no PS2 game looked better than Dreamcast games. In fact, every multiplatform between the two looked better on the DC. If the DC lasted the entire generation, the two would probably produce similar looking games. I mean, that's not powerful at all, considering the DC launched one year before the PS2. Also, PS1 received 3D0 ports that looked worse(3D0 launched in 1993, PS1 in 1994). In the end, it was a cheap machine, not meant to be powerful at all, considering PS1's price.