By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii is a fad claim revisited.

Was Wii a fad?

Yes 219 55.30%

No 147 37.12%

Hesitant to say one way o... 29 7.32%

Total:395
Max King of the Wild said:

So, during the entire 7th gen there was a whole argument about Wii being a fad. People swore up and down it was a fad as did people saying it wasn't. Now, what I never understood was the people claiming it wasn't. They would act as if being a fad had negative connotation to it.

Now that the dust has settled what do you think? Was Wii a fad? If you think it was a fad then were you one of the people claiming it wasn't and have since changed your stance? If you still hold on to it not being a fad then what are your reasons?

I say it most definately was. Wii was a first place console and was also the console that fizzled out the fastest. Clear indication of a fad. Also, we see Nintendo pretty much moving away from what made Wii big with the Wii U.

I want to see if the views have changed since the start of last gen.

I say the Wii was not a fad. To me a fad is when something people clammer over is suddenly not in use. I think wat is a better analogy is what was hot now and now isn't. It is not a fad because motion technology is still widely used in gaming. It is still in use in consoles and now in cell phones and tablets. It hasn't been discontinued or fazed out. It is just used less. It is just no longer hot. As far as the Wii sales go many seem to be missing one important ingredient in that discussion. The Wii sales really started to slow when the Kinect and Move came onto the market. Gamers at first had to choose between better graphics and a new technology. With the release of the Move and Kinect they no longer had to choose.  Developers focused less on the Wii. Hence Nintendo sales slid.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

If the Wii is a fad, what does that make the 360 and PS3? Road bumps? Minor blips on the radar?

In case you couldn't tell, I voted "no".

well if it wasn't a fad please tell me why its successer is selling as bad as vita, please don't tell it has no games, it has mario, zombieu, call of duty and batman, at 299$-349$ if people still cared about the wii brand it would be selling at least 2x better.

There are many reasons the Wii U isn't selling that well. I think even if, all issues or perceived issues with the Wii U was resolved it would still be tough to top the sales of the Wii. The Wii isn't selling for these reasons. One issue is price as far as the price tag. Another price issue is the perception that the components inside making it greatly marked up. Many folks are taking into consideration R&D costs as well as marketing into the costs. Another issue is the economy. The perceived lack of power in comparison to the last gen by consumers. Ports that didn't hit the mark. Many perceive it will go the way of the Dreamcast so they don't risk the purchase. Many developers perceive it lacks the power to do what they need it to do. As well as developers not risking investing in the Wii U because of the low install base in the climate of game makers closing shop left and right. This as well as the Wii really didn't hit it's stride as far as few games hit the mark with the marriage of motion technology. For these reasons it isn't doing it's best. I think it's a long way to go in this generation though as well as NIntendo still having tricks up it's sleeve.

So, during the entire 7th gen there was a whole argument about Wii being a fad. People swore up and down it was a fad as did people saying it wasn't. Now, what I never understood was the people claiming it wasn't. They would act as if being a fad had negative connotation to it.

Now that the dust has settled what do you think? Was Wii a fad? If you think it was a fad then were you one of the people claiming it wasn't and have since changed your stance? If you still hold on to it not being a fad then what are your reasons?

I say it most definately was. Wii was a first place console and was also the console that fizzled out the fastest. Clear indication of a fad. Also, we see Nintendo pretty much moving away from what made Wii big with the Wii U.

Playstation fans, in denial since 2007.

this post was moderated by axumblade

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

A very profitable fad I might add.

It is a fad, but it made Nintendo billions and has sold 99 million. But it's only a fad, because of how it used to sell, compared to now. Despite this, it has changed gaming and motion controls are seen as an alternative to controllers now

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
ASStronaut said:

Playstation fans, in denial since 2007.

Excuse me?

TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'm not attacking your definition of a fad, you're free to define it how you want. I didn't quote sales numbers for a reason, I only spoke of sales trends i.e. sales exploding then after a 5 year run dying off very quickly... that's the question I'm asking... does this trend constitute a fad in your eyes?

I was 7 in '94. To be more specific what constitutes as a fad in my eyes you would need to look at market trends during that time. That's why I don't agree with Ps1 vs Wii comparison because the market is so drastically different. As for if the Ps1 was a fad I honestly don't know. I have disagreed with people claiming Ps2 was a fad but I couldn't do that same concerning the Ps1 because I don't remember what the market was like 20 years ago. Nor do I know what the market trends and norms were

I know the hula hoop was a fad but I wasn't alive in the 1950s. The PS1 saw incredible never-before seen sales when it was new and fizzled out after 5 years, does that constitue a fad?

Am I to understand you won't be providing an answer to my question?

I honestly thought I did answer your question. I didn't know hoola hoops were a fad until you told me nor did I know about rubix cube. Though niether one surprises me. As for Ps1 era I have no clue what the market was like to comment on that. Unlike hoola hoops and rubix cubes (That obviously had no market in the sense we are talking about ps1) we need more accurat analysis.

I honestly don't even know why it matters since the Ps1 very may well be a fad. I'm not denying that... so why is it important that I answer your question?

Because I'm hoping to hope a real conversation with you (here and in other threads). The first time you replied to me it was to belittle cyberninja's opinion but through our conversation what I've been trying to figure out is what YOU think constitutes a fad. So using your argument in the OP, we've come to the conclusion that the PS1 could be a fad as your understand it, which in turn means that the notion that most consoles can be considered fads isn't as ridiculous as you made it seem at first.

You see, when you throw things like "On[e] of the worst I'd say as the assertion that all game consoles are fads is absurd beyond belief." you do nothing to further the discussion. You're entitled to think that his assertion doesn't make sense but if you're going to call someone out, do it by explaining WHY you don't agree. Going with something along the lines of "your opinion is stupid/ridiculous/don't make sense" is lazy and in the end only serves to antagonize people.

Signature goes here!