By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii is a fad claim revisited.

Was Wii a fad?

Yes 219 55.30%

No 147 37.12%

Hesitant to say one way o... 29 7.32%

Total:395

Again, Yes. It's meteoric rise and fall and complete inability to maintain itself within the market (that it controlled with a commanding lead) is evidence of this. The Wii U's abysmal performance so far is just further indication that people moved on from caring about "The Wii" several years ago and the 'fad' wave or public spotlight is clearly gone. The fact that the market and industry never supported it just aids in the belief that everyone felt it was a fad and weren't willing to invest into a fad.

The reason the PS1/PS2/PS3/Xbox 360 etc were not 'fads' is primarily due to the fact that they kept the 'standard' formula that has proven time and time again that it sells and is wanted. The same reasons that Nintendo fans beat their chest about how 'innovative' Nintendo was, is the exact same reason that what Nintendo did was completely a fad. Much like Lady Gaga wearing some new crazy wardrobe and other people following suit.

Motion controls were a fad (A point even furthered by the copying done by Sony and MS), hence Nintendo's biggest selling point was a fad and the console was proven fraudulent at that point and that's when it started to die on the vine. It's really that simple.

In my opinion, the Wii was one of the most fraudulent, fad-ish consoles that has ever existed and certainly that Nintendo has produced. It lived off of pure hype and had one of the worst Nintendo libraries with poor gameplay often times.

It sold off of motion control hype, price, name brand. Once price point power disappeared and the hype faded it was dead.

Around the Network

Rpruett said:
Again, Yes. It's meteoric rise and fall and complete inability to maintain itself within the market (that it controlled with a commanding lead) is evidence of this. The Wii U's abysmal performance so far is just further indication that people moved on from caring about "The Wii" several years ago and the 'fad' wave or public spotlight is clearly gone. The fact that the market and industry never supported it just aids in the belief that everyone felt it was a fad and weren't willing to invest into a fad.

The reason the PS1/PS2/PS3/Xbox 360 etc were not 'fads' is primarily due to the fact that they kept the 'standard' formula that has proven time and time again that it sells and is wanted. The same reasons that Nintendo fans beat their chest about how 'innovative' Nintendo was, is the exact same reason that what Nintendo did was completely a fad. Much like Lady Gaga wearing some new crazy wardrobe and other people following suit.

Motion controls were a fad (A point even furthered by the copying done by Sony and MS), hence Nintendo's biggest selling point was a fad and the console was proven fraudulent at that point and that's when it started to die on the vine. It's really that simple.

In my opinion, the Wii was one of the most fraudulent, fad-ish consoles that has ever existed and certainly that Nintendo has produced. It lived off of pure hype and had one of the worst Nintendo libraries with poor gameplay often times.

It sold off of motion control hype, price, name brand. Once price point power disappeared and the hype faded it was dead.

think motion controls was a great idea for nintendo to get back in the game, its just the way they went about was horrible, they didn't invest in the console specs or online play at all, the whole investment was made on the motion controls, with a repackaged gamecube with more ram, and a bit more power, they should have at least went with 50% power of the 360 and an option to play games with a reguler controller, the result would have been way more third party support, and games not looking a generation behind 360/ps3, its just makes the wii look very bad to a gamer imo.

Screamapillar said:
oniyide said:
Screamapillar said:
oniyide said:
Screamapillar said:

I'm not talking about sequels to Wii games, I'm talking about Wii sequels to old, stable franchises.  Mario Kart Wii sold 33 million...Double Dash sold...7 million-ish?

Melee sold 7 mil, Brawl sold almost 12

Twilight Princess sold 7 mil, Wind Waker sold 4.5 mil

Galaxy sold 11 mil, Sunshine sold less than 6.5 mil

The popularity of Wii installments versus GameCube installments in these franchises proves that the expanded audience that caused Wii sales to explode got in on old Nintendo franchises that previously were in decline from N64 to GameCube. 

Im not talking about GC because GC has no bearing on the players on Wii. How does an old console show that Wii players stuck around? it doesnt, it doesnt make any sense. We would have to look at actual WII game numbers and looking at the numbers throught the gen, their was a drastic drop in many series that were doing large numbers. So that tells me that didnt stick around, or they stopped buying as much games.

I'm pointing out to you that many Wii owners who were either lapsed Nintendo fans, or people new to gaming, bought Wii games from long-time franchises.  Franchises that prior to Wii were in steep decline from generation to generation.  

It wasn't just 70 million people who bought a Wii for Wii Sports and that was their only software.  They clearly bought Mario Kart, I mean that's just indisputable.  They clearly bought NSMB Wii.   Clearly many more people bought Galaxy, Brawl, and Zelda that didn't buy those series installments for GameCube or N64.  I'm not talking about hardcore Nintendo fans that are always loyal to the brand.  This proves that there was indeed a large number of Wii owners who may have originally bought a Wii just to play Wii Sports, but eventually they began purchasing more core games like Mario and Mario Kart. 

Every system experiences steep declines in it's waning years on the market.  PS3 and 360 are experiencing heavy year-over-year declines too, for instance.  Both in software and hardware.  It's just how the industry works.

Wii sold alot more than GC, hence more sales for games, that is just common sense, but again you seem to be ignoring my point, which had nothing to do with GC. You said that they stuck around on Wii. Which looking at the sales of the games for Wii, they didnt there were declines through most of the series. DecaSports, Mickey, WiiPlay, Galaxy2, Zumba, deblob, COD, carnival games, etc. The only exceptions ive seen is Just Dance and Raving Rabbids

ninjablade said:

Rpruett said:

think motion controls was a great idea for nintendo to get back in the game, its just the way they went about was horrible, they didn't invest in the console specs or online play at all, the whole investment was made on the motion controls, with a repackaged gamecube with more ram, and a bit more power, they should have at least went with 50% power of the 360 and an option to play games with a reguler controller, the result would have been way more third party support, and games not looking a generation behind 360/ps3, its just makes the wii look very bad to a gamer imo.

Or if they were going to go with the whole motion thing, they could have at least...I dont know. Make sure the damn thing actually worked! IMHO the whole thing felt halfassed, motion barely registered, the system itself was barely stronger than GC, the online was atrocious and didnt get better at all. 

B4 anyone jumps in and says " BUT they couldnt because it would have been too expensive!" BS the thing was only 250, a bit mstore R&D and it still would have been the cheapest on the market.  I dont care about market share or what is innovative, if you're gonna do something, do it right. But i guess you get what you paid for.

Rpruett said:

They stopped caring about the Wii several years ago?  Come on man, you're on a sales website.  It isn't that hard to take two seconds to check a sales chart before posting silly.  The Wii outsold its competitors by between 4 and 14 million units a year from its launch to 2010.  In 2011, Wii was competitive with those console selling 11.5 million units to the PS3's 13.  Keep in mind that the Wii at this point had sold far more than either of its competitors and market saturation is bound to kick in at some point.

At best you could argue that people, "stopped caring" about the Wii in 2012.  The Wii U sold 5 million this year with about 2 million Wii Us to the X-Box around 10 million and the PS3 around 11.  This isn't "several years".  This is 1 year, and 1 year when Nintendo was focussed on its successor.

The idea that the market never supported the Wii is just patently ridiculous.  The Wii is the third best selling home console of all time, with a reasonable shot of taking second.  The prospect of the X-Box 360 overtaking the Wii globally is essentially nill.  The PS3 has a "Jets winning the superbowl next year" chance as in it could happen but it would take a small miracle. 

To say that the market didn't support the Wii or that people stopped caring about it "several years ago" simply shows how little thought went into your argument.  Simply put, the Wii had a lifespan which was as long and successful as all but two other consoles in the history. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Rpruett said:

They stopped caring about the Wii several years ago?  Come on man, you're on a sales website.  It isn't that hard to take two seconds to check a sales chart before posting silly.  The Wii outsold its competitors by between 4 and 14 million units a year from its launch to 2010.  In 2011, Wii was competitive with those console selling 11.5 million units to the PS3's 13.  Keep in mind that the Wii at this point had sold far more than either of its competitors and market saturation is bound to kick in at some point.

At best you could argue that people, "stopped caring" about the Wii in 2012.  The Wii U sold 5 million this year with about 2 million Wii Us to the X-Box around 10 million and the PS3 around 11.  This isn't "several years".  This is 1 year, and 1 year when Nintendo was focussed on its successor.

The idea that the market never supported the Wii is just patently ridiculous.  The Wii is the third best selling home console of all time, with a reasonable shot of taking second.  The prospect of the X-Box 360 overtaking the Wii globally is essentially nill.  The PS3 has a "Jets winning the superbowl next year" chance as in it could happen but it would take a small miracle. 

To say that the market didn't support the Wii or that people stopped caring about it "several years ago" simply shows how little thought went into your argument.  Simply put, the Wii had a lifespan which was as long and successful as all but two other consoles in the history. 

Lol I remember everybody saying it would out sell ps2, it did sell faster then it for the first 3-4 years, why would it reach market saruration so fast, it was on pace to beat ps2 and then fell off the cliff.

If the Wii is a fad, what does that make the 360 and PS3? Road bumps? Minor blips on the radar?

In case you couldn't tell, I voted "no".

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:

If the Wii is a fad, what does that make the 360 and PS3? Road bumps? Minor blips on the radar?

well if it wasn't a fad please tell me why its successer is selling as bad as vita, please don't tell it has no games, it has mario, zombieu, call of duty and batman, at 299$-349$ if people still cared about the wii brand it would be selling at least 2x better.

ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

well if it wasn't a fad please tell me why its successer is selling as bad as vita, please don't tell it has no games, it has mario, zombieu, call of duty and batman, at 299$-349$ if people still cared about the wii brand it would be selling at least 2x better.

WOW!

I didn't realize that the PS2 was a fad.  But the PS3 sold horribly at launch, so that makes its predecessor a fad!

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
ninjablade said:
theRepublic said:

WOW!

I didn't realize that the PS2 was a fad.  But the PS3 sold horribly at launch, so that makes its predecessor a fad!

ps3 was 500-599$ also check ps3 first holiday in europe, its main bread and butter, it sold 2 million there, look at wiiu sales in its first holiday in europe, ps3 is actually doing much better if you factor in that its missed its be the best 2 months for sales in europe which wiiu got because ps3 launched in march, while were talking about sales the momentum is dead for wiiu, ps3 lowest week worldwide is about 4x higher then wiiu i think, and then third party's are not supporting the console