By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii is a fad claim revisited.

Was Wii a fad?

Yes 219 55.30%

No 147 37.12%

Hesitant to say one way o... 29 7.32%

Total:395
RazorDragon said:
Max King of the Wild said:
RazorDragon said:

You said this in another thread. And I said you obviously didn't follow this gen... You replied but now I'm leaning towards the fact that you didn't again. Sure they had a lot of generic shooters. They also had a lot of gems for shooters too... they also had a lot of other stuff.

I know they didn't had only shooters. But, when I think of 360 and PS3, I automatically think of shooters like Killzone, Resistance, Halo, Gears, Call of Duty and, mostly, of their many, many clones. And, like I said in the other thread, I had a PC able play current-gen(in 2007) multiplatforms and bought a Wii in 2008. Also, in 2011 I bought a 360(it had a few JRPGs which I couldn't miss and, of course, Halo, which is awesome).

Why not think of Ratchet, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword, God of War, Little Big Planet, Batman, Grand Theft Auto, The Walking Dead, Journey, Braid.... and I could go on and on. Its not the Ps360's fault you assume they were infested with generic shooters when they both had awesome games of every genre

Which are few games when compared to the massive generic shooter library they have, while Wii's library is much more diverse in the sense that there isn't a genre dominance, as Wii received games that wouldn't even be possible on the 360/PS3 before Move/Kinect arrived. I hope you understand my point. I'm absolutely fine if you disagree with it, that's my opinion and not a fact, anyway.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, BioShock, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Borderlands 2, Killzone 2, Far Cry 3, Fallout

are the only shooters I see out of the 45 90+ ps3 games. That's less than a quarter

Around the Network

Oh yes. Just like the PS2!

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
pokoko said:

You kept discussing it with me, so how was it off topic?

It was off topic to begin with but you took it to a whole new level with the trolling (Which you didn't need to ask how it was trolling so I assume you are aware you were trolling). I humored your point and showed how it was inaccurate by every measure of the word that matters to us the consumer. But some reason you want to ignore those and call it a failure anyway and then shift focus to financials and call it a failure again.

You didnt point out anything inaccurate lol. I didnt ignore a thing, you did precisely what you told another poster not to do. You did it to defend the PS3 at all cost. But ill drop it since it will get no where, just like you claim I ignored everything you brought up, you do the same to the posters saying Wii isnt. I even got you to contradict yourself.

You completely took what I said out of context first of all. The person I said that to was not in anway comparing Ps1 to Wii to determine success or failure. I have no clue how you think you are even remotely close at making a point here

He compared PS1 and Wiis sales curve and you told him to not do that because of the difference in markets. You then do the same comparing how much PS3 sold now to how much platforms sold in the past. In other words you did precisely what you told him to not do. Face it, I caught you, let it go. Wii isnt a fad if PS1 isnt, since PS3 is successful because of past platforms.

RazorDragon said:

Which are few games when compared to the massive generic shooter library they have, while Wii's library is much more diverse in the sense that there isn't a genre dominance, as Wii received games that wouldn't even be possible on the 360/PS3 before Move/Kinect arrived. I hope you understand my point. I'm absolutely fine if you disagree with it, that's my opinion and not a fact, anyway.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, BioShock, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Borderlands 2, Killzone 2, Far Cry 3, Fallout

are the only shooters I see out of the 45 90+ ps3 games. That's less than a quarter

I'm not going to list every shooter game PS3 and 360 have. You need to remember that nobody plays only 90+ games, I'm talking about the whole library of games, not just a select list of the "best" rated by critics.

phenom08 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
phenom08 said:

Wii doesn't need to sell it sold more in 5 years than 360 can in 10. Those Kinect games were bundled as well and yet still sold like crap. Just Dance 3 wasnt bundled and sold much better than anything has yet on Kinect lol. Your WiiU comment makes you sound very butthurt by the way.

Wii doesn't need to sell... good because it can't with such little support. Instead Nintendo is making Wii U a smassive success.

Wii userbase is significantly larger than the Kinect userbase. So comparing them directly is totally fair.

Eitherway I anticipate is rise on motion devices like Kinect and decline on devices like Wiimote. Its inevitable.

You are right thats precisely what Ninty is doing because unlike some companies, Ninty can actually revive their plats in less than a year. Yes comparing Kinect and Wii is fair because Kinect wont exactly sell better with time lol. Its been dropping since release. Kinect in its prime cant compete with Wii why will it be able to compete later? Lol no devices wont be more Kinect like than Wii remote like, you realize Wii remotes are still being used on WiiU right? As a matter of fact, I will be more than willing to bet Wii Sports U sells more than any of Kinect 2.0 games lol.

What are you babbling about? Wii didn't need to be revived, it was a success from the start because of the motion gaming fad and it was much cheaper than the 360 and PS3. The 3DS would have done great at launch if it wasn't over priced.

The Wii U though... its reasonably priced but people simply don't want it and it does nothing unique with motion gaming. I don't think Wii U is gonna be a failure at the end of the day, but it'll be lucky to achieve half the sales of the original Wii.

Wii Sports U is a very popular series, maybe it will sell better than any Kinect 2 game. But Wii U has zero chance of out performing Sony and MS's next console.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
phenom08 said:
pokoko said:

You kept discussing it with me, so how was it off topic?

It was off topic to begin with but you took it to a whole new level with the trolling (Which you didn't need to ask how it was trolling so I assume you are aware you were trolling). I humored your point and showed how it was inaccurate by every measure of the word that matters to us the consumer. But some reason you want to ignore those and call it a failure anyway and then shift focus to financials and call it a failure again.

You didnt point out anything inaccurate lol. I didnt ignore a thing, you did precisely what you told another poster not to do. You did it to defend the PS3 at all cost. But ill drop it since it will get no where, just like you claim I ignored everything you brought up, you do the same to the posters saying Wii isnt. I even got you to contradict yourself.

You completely took what I said out of context first of all. The person I said that to was not in anway comparing Ps1 to Wii to determine success or failure. I have no clue how you think you are even remotely close at making a point here

He compared PS1 and Wiis sales curve and you told him to not do that because of the difference in markets. You then do the same comparing how much PS3 sold now to how much platforms sold in the past. In other words you did precisely what you told him to not do. Face it, I caught you, let it go. Wii isnt a fad if PS1 isnt, since PS3 is successful because of past platforms.

He compared sales curve to compare fads... It isn't even remotely close to being the same. Face it you have absolutly no clue what you are talking about and you are strugglin' to make a point when you got none. The whole way to identify a fad would be through it's curve which is why he was comparing it... Obvious difference is obvious... Like I don't understand how you even think you are making any sense.  You can easily see the success of a console by comparing by what bar the older generations set. Unless you try to compare something like computer sales in the 80's to now. But thats not what happened.

RazorDragon said:
RazorDragon said:

I'm not going to list every shooter game PS3 and 360 have. You need to remember that nobody plays only 90+ games, I'm talking about the whole library of games, not just a select list of the "best" rated by critics.

My point is your option isn't just shooters and they are easily avoidable.

wii was a fad and so is kinect but its not a bad thing, even nintendo knows this or else they would have made a more powerful console with an upgraded wii mote. if you wanna know what's not a fad its the PlayStation brand for consoles, why? well because its always releases a powerful system each generation, great third party, good marketing and a brand so powerful it over came 599$.

Mr Puggsly said:
phenom08 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
phenom08 said:

Wii doesn't need to sell it sold more in 5 years than 360 can in 10. Those Kinect games were bundled as well and yet still sold like crap. Just Dance 3 wasnt bundled and sold much better than anything has yet on Kinect lol. Your WiiU comment makes you sound very butthurt by the way.

Wii doesn't need to sell... good because it can't with such little support. Instead Nintendo is making Wii U a smassive success.

Wii userbase is significantly larger than the Kinect userbase. So comparing them directly is totally fair.

Eitherway I anticipate is rise on motion devices like Kinect and decline on devices like Wiimote. Its inevitable.

You are right thats precisely what Ninty is doing because unlike some companies, Ninty can actually revive their plats in less than a year. Yes comparing Kinect and Wii is fair because Kinect wont exactly sell better with time lol. Its been dropping since release. Kinect in its prime cant compete with Wii why will it be able to compete later? Lol no devices wont be more Kinect like than Wii remote like, you realize Wii remotes are still being used on WiiU right? As a matter of fact, I will be more than willing to bet Wii Sports U sells more than any of Kinect 2.0 games lol.

What are you babbling about? Wii didn't need to be revived, it was a success from the start because of the motion gaming fad and it was much cheaper than the 360 and PS3. The 3DS would have done great at launch if it wasn't over priced.

The Wii U though... its reasonably priced but people simply don't want it and it does nothing unique with motion gaming. I don't think Wii U is gonna be a failure at the end of the day, but it'll be lucky to achieve half the sales of the original Wii.

Wii Sports U is a very popular series, maybe it will sell better than any Kinect 2 game. But Wii U has zero chance of out performing Sony and MS's next console.

Zero chance? It will easily beat their next platforms. Being reasonably priced is all it takes? Im pretty sure a drought wouldnt help no matter how cheap. Anyways so since WiiU has no chance, do you think 720/PS4 will sell more this December?

ninjablade said:
wii was a fad and so is kinect but its not a bad thing, even nintendo knows this or else they would have made a more powerful console with an upgraded wii mote. if you wanna know what's not a fad its the PlayStation brand for consoles, why? well because its always releases a powerful system each generation, great third party, good marketing and a brand so powerful it over came 599$.

PS1/PS2 were weak lol. All of that and Playstation brand still came in last this gen. Overcame $599? Still hasnt made a dime and still playing catch up is not a sign of overcoming anything.