By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii is a fad claim revisited.

Was Wii a fad?

Yes 219 55.30%

No 147 37.12%

Hesitant to say one way o... 29 7.32%

Total:395
VGKing said:
noname2200 said:
VGKing said:
It really was. The Wii's populartity started with the Nintendo fans being excited for it pre-launch. From there once it launched it was parodied in Youtube videos and showcased on TV shows. You say people throwing Wimotes at their TVs, you saw the sex jokes....etc. All this kept the Wii name in the public eye. What Nintendo failed to do was move it past that. Their competitors brought out similar and arguably better products and Nintendo's answer was Wii MotionPlus.....lol

And yet those competing better products got outsold by a bathroom scale.

Pretty sure Kinect is right up there with that Wii Fit in terms of sales. That's not the point though. Nintendo had this "Wii Fit" crowd all to themselves until Sony and Microsoft chased after them.

wii fit beating it by 3mil, also wii fit dont sell as much anymore, and wii fit might actually be way over 23mil cuz there are two different wii fit games

Around the Network
VGKing said:
noname2200 said:
VGKing said:
It really was. The Wii's populartity started with the Nintendo fans being excited for it pre-launch. From there once it launched it was parodied in Youtube videos and showcased on TV shows. You say people throwing Wimotes at their TVs, you saw the sex jokes....etc. All this kept the Wii name in the public eye. What Nintendo failed to do was move it past that. Their competitors brought out similar and arguably better products and Nintendo's answer was Wii MotionPlus.....lol

And yet those competing better products got outsold by a bathroom scale.

Pretty sure Kinect is right up there with that Wii Fit in terms of sales. That's not the point though. Nintendo had this "Wii Fit" crowd all to themselves until Sony and Microsoft chased after them.

And thank God for that, right. If rumors are to be believed, each PS4 will come with a dual-camera Eyetoy, and each Durango will have its own Kinect. And apparently for good reason, as it looks like these things sell!

Max King of the Wild said:

Let's compare Model T ford sales to a Honda Civic. Man... Model T's flopped hard... It makes no sense to compare the two and quite frankly that fact that you don't see that is alarming

Let's compare PS2 and Wii. Are both fads or none or only one? If only one, which one? And if you see one as a fad and the other not, you probably can explain what the differences are.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

RolStoppable said:
RolStoppable said:

This is basically an admission that you aren't qualified to have this discussion due to a lack of knowledge, but apparently that doesn't stop you from thinking that you have the authority to tell people that their arguments are pathetic.

the more and more you comment the worse you get. Because I can observe a fad from one generation I can't input my opinion on that generation I observed? One of the most absurd things said in this thread

At this rate I wonder if you are acting this way deliberately, because you want to get banned. You show no interest in answering questions, but instead tell pretty much everyone that their logic is poor.

Sorry, but what? Because people make rash and absurd accusations that make little sense and compare two completely different things I will get banned? Please... Rol... You have been strugglin' to make and kind of point since you entered this thread. You really are reaching.

Mnementh said:

Let's compare Model T ford sales to a Honda Civic. Man... Model T's flopped hard... It makes no sense to compare the two and quite frankly that fact that you don't see that is alarming

Let's compare PS2 and Wii. Are both fads or none or only one? If only one, which one? And if you see one as a fad and the other not, you probably can explain what the differences are.

Not fair. He didn't start following the industry until 2007. How can you expect him to properly remember and analyze PS2 or any generation prior?

I deem your logic to be poor and your inability to realize it to be alarming.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

You are probably the most rational person in this thread so I will discuss with you.

I am not opposed to Ps2 vs Wii comparison. It makes a lot more sense than Ps1 to Wii (because Ps1 to Wii made no sense). As for if both were fads? I would deny Ps2 was a fad. It is still chugging on to this day. I doubt the Wii will be on the market 13+ years. The ps2 also never fizzled out as the Wii did (or else Wii would be near Ps2 levels by now since it was looking to break Ps2 sales at first) which I said is a clear indication of a fad as I've said in my OP

TruckOSaurus said:

Tell me which were fads and which were not.

Just like when Rol asked me if the Psp was a fad I'll give you the same answer. I don't have the slightest idea or clue. I started following console sales inearly  2007. Among that as you can see from my previous console ownership that I didn't game last generation (I was busy skateboarding and playing what little games I did at friends house) and before that I would have been in my pre-teens. The only thing I can observe first hand would be from the Ps2 era because it obviously went through the period I started observing and I can get an idea of how the Ps2 performed prior to when I observed from what I've read.

In your OP, you say that Wii rushed to first place and then fizzled out quickly and that constitutes a fad.So I'm guessing that's how you define what is a fad.

The PSOne shattered console sales records in its first years on the market (much like the Wii) and after the 5th year it fizzled out dropping about 50% from 1999 to 2000 so this means it was a fad too right?

Signature goes here!

J_Allard said:
Mnementh said:

Not fair. He didn't start following the industry until 2007. How can you expect him to properly remember and analyze PS2 or any generation prior?

I deem your logic to be poor and your inability to realize it to be alarming.

Ps2 wasn't selling in 2007... news to me. (More absurd claims by the opposition.. imagine that)

Mnementh said:

you've yet to explain why PS2 is a fad, because it sold well? 

TruckOSaurus said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Tell me which were fads and which were not.

Just like when Rol asked me if the Psp was a fad I'll give you the same answer. I don't have the slightest idea or clue. I started following console sales inearly  2007. Among that as you can see from my previous console ownership that I didn't game last generation (I was busy skateboarding and playing what little games I did at friends house) and before that I would have been in my pre-teens. The only thing I can observe first hand would be from the Ps2 era because it obviously went through the period I started observing and I can get an idea of how the Ps2 performed prior to when I observed from what I've read.

In your OP, you say that Wii rushed to first place and then fizzled out quickly and that constitutes a fad.So I'm guessing that's how you define what is a fad.

The PSOne shattered console sales records in its first years on the market (much like the Wii) and after the 5th year it fizzled out dropping about 50% from 1999 to 2000 so this means it was a fad too right?

To be fair, people kept buying PS1s even after PS2 was released. Wii keeps dropping I dont see it being sold that much in the next year. Not saying either was a fad, but PS1 has more longetivity