By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii High-Definition

Kwaad said:
The wii hardware can do DVD. There are mod chips out there already that can do it. (or are supposed to do it)

This I believe, but doesn't Nintendo have to pay a licensing fee to sell a DVD player?  That would suggest to me that DVD playback might be a channel that you pay like 500 Wii Points for, rather than a simple firmware update, otherwise Nintendo would immediately have to pay millions of dollars in licensing fees for all the Wiis already sold.

Around the Network
Entroper said:
Kwaad said:
The wii hardware can do DVD. There are mod chips out there already that can do it. (or are supposed to do it)

This I believe, but doesn't Nintendo have to pay a licensing fee to sell a DVD player?  That would suggest to me that DVD playback might be a channel that you pay like 500 Wii Points for, rather than a simple firmware update, otherwise Nintendo would immediately have to pay millions of dollars in licensing fees for all the Wiis already sold.

License fees are the reason, some chinese manufacturers created a new standard: EVD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Versatile_Disc). So an update sounds unlikely, the DVD-channel may be possible.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Entroper said:

There is nothing in your quote suggesting that a firmware update will give the Wii DVD playback or high-resolution output (greater than 480p). In fact he suggests that including those features would have increased the production costs of the Wii, implying that it does not have these capabilities in the hardware.

Actually this is not quite right. I quote the USA today article:

Tough choices about not including a DVD player at the start, tough choices about not including high-definition capability at the start.

And "at the start" clearly impliest that these functions can be software enabled and do not require hardware addons. Besides the USB bus there's no possibility to add any hardware to the wii, and I can't imagine an USB HD-extension - not to speak of another  USB DVD drive for DVD playback

LingLing,

Why would Nintendo intentionally cripple HD output? Doesn't make sense. A DVD Video player can be software enabled, but it will cost you. The DVD forum is charging license fees for every DVD player on the planet.

This USA Today story (which is actually an Associated Press story) is from November 2006. Nintendo had a lot more to explain back then when the Wii was often still regarded as the quirky underdog. 6 months later it's quite clear even to mainstream media what Wii is and what it's not.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

LingLing said:
Entroper said:

There is nothing in your quote suggesting that a firmware update will give the Wii DVD playback or high-resolution output (greater than 480p). In fact he suggests that including those features would have increased the production costs of the Wii, implying that it does not have these capabilities in the hardware.

Actually this is not quite right. I quote the USA today article:

Tough choices about not including a DVD player at the start, tough choices about not including high-definition capability at the start.

And "at the start" clearly impliest that these functions can be software enabled and do not require hardware addons. Besides the USB bus there's no possibility to add any hardware to the wii, and I can't imagine an USB HD-extension - not to speak of another  USB DVD drive for DVD playback

You can't ad HD-DVD or blu-ray playback to a DVD player, which Wii is using, it isn't the same reader. I do think that HD output for games could be enabled but honestly I don't belive so.

DVD playback could most possible come with a software update.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

Seriously I don't give a crap about DVD playback or not. HD GFX might be fun but it's not a priority to me. I'd rather see first a Demo channel, when is that finally going to come?! I hear the PS3 owners downloading all sorts of demo's even from different regions sites and what do we WII owners have... nothing, only a stupid voting channel. Stop talking, do something! I'd rather see more functionality about games then all that other stuff.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

WiiGirl76 said:

Seriously I don't give a crap about DVD playback or not. HD GFX might be fun but it's not a priority to me. I'd rather see first a Demo channel, when is that finally going to come?! I hear the PS3 owners downloading all sorts of demo's even from different regions sites and what do we WII owners have... nothing, only a stupid voting channel. Stop talking, do something! I'd rather see more functionality about games then all that other stuff.

You mean you primarily want to play games on your video game system .  I don't have much to add, just wanted to take the oppotunity to feign surprise at that.  Also that's a pretty pathetic surprised smiley, but whatever.

WiiGirl76 said:

Word.

The wii will NEVER add a free DVD player, they MAY sell one but that is highly unlikely. In order for the wii to legally play DVDs they will need to pay licensing fees to the people that hold the patients on DVDs and the DVD copy protection (CSS). This means adding DVD playback is not as simple as just updating the firmware. If they did just add the feature to play DVDs without coming to an agreement with the people who license the rights to DVD copy protection they would be breaking the law and open them selfs up to one BIG ass lawsuit.

And why would the wii even want a DVD player, everyone has a DVD player in their homes now. Even if they did add a DVD player to the wii not many people would use it. Its better to just use a real DVD player than one in a games console. Is much as I like the wii mote I cant see it being a very good remote for a DVD player. 

Wii High Definition? LOL, that's like saying a tall midget.