By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii High-Definition

In interview to the USA Today, Reggie Fils-Aime (president of the Nintendo of America) affirmed:

“Not to include a DVD Player in the launching of the Wii it was a difficult decision. Not to include function for video of high-definition in the launching also was a difficult decision. Our intention was to offer a sufficiently accessible price, and us we believe that the market will validate our decisions after [the launching].”

Source.: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2006-11-18-nintendo-wii_x.htm

UAUUU!!! It is possible… after all of accounts, nothing hinders that the Wii receives an update saw Internet that qualifies new functions after all -, the hardware all already is there. As well as it will go to happen with the DVD Player!

Around the Network

I could be wrong but I believe the Wii may need more than just a firmware update to play DVD's.  If they varied too much from the DVD standards, a physical modification may be necessary.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

naw the player part is pretty much a straight dvd player, they just didn't include the software and codec's for dvd playback.

if you search around you can find pretty much the exact model that nintendo used....

There is nothing in your quote suggesting that a firmware update will give the Wii DVD playback or high-resolution output (greater than 480p).  In fact he suggests that including those features would have increased the production costs of the Wii, implying that it does not have these capabilities in the hardware. 

iandrade said:

In interview to the USA Today, Reggie Fils-Aime (president of the Nintendo of America) affirmed:

“Not to include a DVD Player in the launching of the Wii it was a difficult decision. Not to include function for video of high-definition in the launching also was a difficult decision. Our intention was to offer a sufficiently accessible price, and us we believe that the market will validate our decisions after [the launching].”

Source.: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2006-11-18-nintendo-wii_x.htm

UAUUU!!! It is possible… after all of accounts, nothing hinders that the Wii receives an update saw Internet that qualifies new functions after all -, the hardware all already is there. As well as it will go to happen with the DVD Player!

Yeah... and I'm waiting for Panasonic to update my DVD player to play HD-DVD's!!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

DVD channel will become available for sale for $15 - $25 in the Wii Shop Channel eventually - MARK MY WORDS.

wii high-def, aint that a oxymoron.

OriGin said:
DVD channel will become available for sale for $15 - $25 in the Wii Shop Channel eventually - MARK MY WORDS.

Yup, that would make sense.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

The wii hardware can do DVD. There are mod chips out there already that can do it. (or are supposed to do it)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Probably Nintendo wants to have some features waiting for a smaller and more fashionable Wii in 2009.  They did it with DS to DS Lite, they probably are probably thinking the same thing now.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.