By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii High-Definition

FinalEvangelion said:
Probably Nintendo wants to have some features waiting for a smaller and more fashionable Wii in 2009.  They did it with DS to DS Lite, they probably are probably thinking the same thing now.

that is one thing about the Wii that NO ONE can deny, it leaves itself prenty of room for upgrade to have a sufficeint Wii2. What is Sony and MS going to do? Graphics, online play, DVD capability, none of those can be sinificantly upgraded. They might just have to make some crazy cool new controller to revolutionize gaming... Wait, I guess thats what Nintendo did, they just went out of order. Revolution first, HD and DVD later (since it was already the standard before the consoles were ever talked about. Too easy).

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Around the Network

Topic title says Wii High-Definition, but then you guys are talking about DVDs. what does DVD(480i) have anything to do with Hi-Def(720p/1080pFullHD)?

Cobretti said:
didn't the original xbox have capabilities of doing 720p? SO in theory the wii should be able to do it. However the only way the wii IMHO will have HD is if it releases a new model later down the track with more grunt. (unlikely they will since they are cheap).

This is precisely the reasons I think the current Wii can handle HD right out of the gate.

- The Xbox and PS2 have games that render in 720p/1080i

- Neither console was designed to render in such resolutions

- Given graphic chipset development in the past five-plus years, the hardware determines how much polys it can push, but the resolution is dependent on the drivers (and TV, of course)

- Even the lowly N64 supported variable resolutions

- The Wii is more powerful than the GCN, and the GCN *appears to be* at least comparable to the PS2 and Xbox in terms of raw horsepower

- Most third-party (Ubisoft excluded) developers jumped on the Wii bandwagon too late and games as a result their games are not optimized for the console yet (will they ever be, given how slack 3rd-party Wii developers are?)

If Nintendo really has plans for HD, I say the current Wii is already capable of handling it - certainly not to the level of the PS3 and Xbox 360, but hardware-wise there is absolutely no reason I can see of it being incapable of doing so; this would be accomplished either by a firmware update, or (more likely) Nintendo gives third-party developers (and themselves) the tools/permission to start working on HD games.

However, I don't see this happening anytime soon, given the Wii's strong sales. Perhaps when things start slowing down Nintendo will start offering/unlocking these "features" to boost sales again. Ditto that of the DVD player, although I personally couldn't care less if the Wii can play DVDs, as I have about nine of those suckers lying around at home.

^ Name a xbox and ps2 game that are 720p resolution please. With links to official statement that they are at 720p resolution. Cause I have not heard of such things.

L_12212012 said:
^ Name a xbox and ps2 game that are 720p resolution please. With links to official statement that they are at 720p resolution. Cause I have not heard of such things.

Happy to, although no official statements (don't know where to start looking, but if you have the game, I'd suggest you pop it into your console, give it a try and see for yourself with your very own set of beads):

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?s=489a5fe98f3df93dacb698b8ad0d5aee&autocom=custom&page=hdlists

http://hdgames.net/

There's more sites like this, but you can take it from here. And from the lists, you can see there are quite a number of HD games for the Xbox (alas, only 2-3 for the PS2, if I am not mistaken).

BTW, try out True Crime: Streets of LA on the Xbox, or GT4 on the PS2 (both are 1080i if I recall correctly; GT4 is 1080i for sure).

Also, strange that the GCN has ZERO HD titles. I still stand by my declaration that even last-gen consoles were capable of pushing (to varying degrees of success) HD, and that the GCN is no exception, so the lack of HD-capable games on Nintendo consoles is more related to management decisions than anything else.

Edit: With official statements? Somehow I think you think I am lying. Just look up what games are in HD (there are quite a few; chances are you have at least ONE of those games; otherwise, go rent one yourself). When you are done with seeing those games in HD, come back and tell me that you still need official statements.

In fact, I cannot believe you have never heard of this in the first place! You can even google HD screenshots of GT4 if you really wanted to know.

And there are articles online, of course:

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/gran_turismo_4/

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53434&page=9

I've done the legwork for you: Time for you to take the baton!

Double Edit:  Not only 720p, but 1080i as well.

Around the Network

haha Thank you for the info! And sorry for wasting 5-10 minutes of your life time to find those links. Some of the xbox games are said to support 720p. But they never said if it were made in 720p.

Well atleast it supports 720p so maybe the Wii can do it too. I do hope so too cause it looks pretty poor on my HDTV right now.

About screenshots, I only look at IGN and Gamespot. All the 720p supported xbox games and PS2 games screenshots there are around 720x480 pixel resulotion. In other words, 480(DVD standard resolution) and not HD(720p). Ecept for GT4 on PS2. Those screen are HD. Some of them anyways, while some aren't.

About NGC, I think the disc capacity is too small to hold a 720p game, so that is why there is none.

L_12212012 said:
haha Thank you for the info! And sorry for wasting 5-10 minutes of your life time to find those links.

You're welcome. If it seves the purpose to dispel your doubts... and it took less than a minute to find the links - I have them bookmarked. (Edit: Took me longer to type the reply than it took to find the links)

Some of the xbox games are said to support 720p. But they never said if it were made in 720p.

Try them out on an HDTV if you can. The difference is readily apparent (not necessarily better, just apparent).

Well atleast it supports 720p so maybe the Wii can do it too.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wii can (esp. based on info from my previous post) - the question is: Why haven't they yet?

I do hope so too cause it looks pretty poor on my HDTV right now.

Yeah, pretty much.

About screenshots, I only look at IGN and Gamespot. All the 720p supported xbox games and PS2 games screenshots there are around 720x480 pixel resulotion.

Pop the game into your console of choice - even screenshots won't do it justice, because they are a) jpegs with artifacts, and b) most screens are smaller anyway; these consoles came out before HD was the rage, and websites back then didn't really bother to take screencaps in the highest resolution (esp. since about 5 years ago, 1024x768 was still the PC monitor standard, which is still too low for HD).

In other words, 480(DVD standard resolution) and not HD(720p). About NGC, I think the disc capacity is too small to hold a 720p game, so that is why there is none.

Yes, but see above. And disc capacity is not the issue in and of itself. You can have a Tetris game in HD which would take up minimal disc space. The question is: why were/are ZERO games released for the GCN/Wii? It's certainly possible from a technical standpoint.

your mother said:

L_12212012 said:
haha Thank you for the info! And sorry for wasting 5-10 minutes of your life time to find those links.

You're welcome. If it seves the purpose to dispel your doubts... and it took less than a minute to find the links - I have them bookmarked. (Edit: Took me longer to type the reply than it took to find the links)

Some of the xbox games are said to support 720p. But they never said if it were made in 720p.

Try them out on an HDTV if you can. The difference is readily apparent (not necessarily better, just apparent).

Well atleast it supports 720p so maybe the Wii can do it too.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wii can (esp. based on info from my previous post) - the question is: Why haven't they yet?

I do hope so too cause it looks pretty poor on my HDTV right now.

Yeah, pretty much.

About screenshots, I only look at IGN and Gamespot. All the 720p supported xbox games and PS2 games screenshots there are around 720x480 pixel resulotion.

Pop the game into your console of choice - even screenshots won't do it justice, because they are a) jpegs with artifacts, and b) most screens are smaller anyway; these consoles came out before HD was the rage, and websites back then didn't really bother to take screencaps in the highest resolution (esp. since about 5 years ago, 1024x768 was still the PC monitor standard, which is still too low for HD).

In other words, 480(DVD standard resolution) and not HD(720p). About NGC, I think the disc capacity is too small to hold a 720p game, so that is why there is none.

Yes, but see above. And disc capacity is not the issue in and of itself. You can have a Tetris game in HD which would take up minimal disc space. The question is: why were/are ZERO games released for the GCN/Wii? It's certainly possible from a technical standpoint.

About the disc space on GC, just like your mother said, depends on the game would the disc space have been enough for HD. For example Super Mario Sunshine would have fit 30 times on the disc (if i recall). I think the main reason for not to add HD was to keep dev costs low and when GC did not sell like it should have, there was no reason to start making games in HD because of the costs. Nintendo even dropped the digital output from the DOL-100 to cut the cost. Since bigger resolution don't increase the polycount (polygons per second), you need to drop the framerate to get better screens. For example 360 specs say that framerate doesn't drop below 15fps, so you can imagine that how low the framerate have been in the last gen consoles HD. Now you can't compare Xbox and Wii 1 to 1, even that their GPU:s work pretty much in the same frequensies, due to different designs. But anyway, the polycount doesn't suddenly increase from what it was, with HD update (unless possible firmware/software update upclock the console). If Nintendo decides to make this upgrade, it's going to be on the game discs, which are HD compatible. Someone from NOA (Perrin Kaplan?) have said something about possible Wii update to 720p/30, which should be possible. But NOA doesn't decide these things. About the DVD playback, Iwata said sometime close to Wii release, that they are currently thinking a possible DVD add-on. He did not promise anything, just said that add-on may come in the future.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.