By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The amount of negativity in almost every MS/Xbox thread is getting ridiculous

BenVTrigger said:
Ironically most of the people who hate Rare and claim how "awful" their current games are haven't even played them.

Kameo, Kinect Sports, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, and Viva Pinata 1 and 2 are all solid and fun games. It drives me crazy how it seems like now days if a game isnt an M rated edgy or a "hardcore" title it must be casual crap. Theres other types of games people than Halo, The Last of Us, Gears of War, etc.

I have played them, and I respectfully disagree about them being fun.

As for me ruling them out because they're not M rated or "hardcore," some of my favourite games of the 7th gen include Mario Galaxy 1 &2, and Doney Kong Country Returns. I also loved Wii Sports Resort, and I don't muh care for Halo.

I don't hate MS or the 360 either. The 360 has given me some of my best gaming experiences of the 7th gen with Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, and Bayonetta.

The kind of games Rare has made since the N64 just don't float my boat, that's all.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
curl-6 said:
J_Allard said:
curl-6 said:
J_Allard said:
curl-6 said:

If you're happy to let your opinions be determined on the aggregate of other people's opinions, that's cool. I'm not, but to each their own.

That's not an insult by the way.

Never said anything like that.

Some people though, can not like a game and understand that it's still a good game, just not for them. For example, I loved the shit out of MGS and MGS3. MGS2 was ok. I have tried like 4 times to get into MGS4 and just cannot. Probably for me, the worst game I have played this gen. But, I can still look at all the praise it gets, and all the sales it achieved, and understand it's a good game. Just not for me.

Seems you could learn a thing or two from that line of thinking.

I can appreciate why other people might like a game. Like I said, it's all subjective. I understand why MGS4 was praised and sold well, but I still think it's horrible.

If you truly appreciate it then you wouldn't pull such a stupid list of "shitty games" out to try and make your point. When you need to stoop to that, maybe you didn't have much of a point in the first place.

Someone seems upset. 

Who are you to say it's "stupid" to consider Call of Duty or Wii Play shitty? Are you a member of the opinion gestapo?

Exact opposite of upset actually, I think the extreme you have to reach for just to make your point is absolutely adorable.

As "adorable" as your apparent need to be rude and condescending towards people who don't share your views?

Don't remember being rude or condescending. Oh well.

dsgrue3 said:
curl-6 said:
dsgrue3 said:
curl-6 said:

Someone seems upset. 

Who are you to say it's "stupid" to consider Call of Duty or Wii Play shitty? Are you a member of the opinion gestapo?

By any objective analysis, CoD is far from shitty. You're welcome to continue your subjective analysis though, everyone is entitled to this.

I don't believe there is an "objective" way to evaluat a game. We all see through a lens, even a view that takes into account others will still always be coloured by our own experiences and biases.

Sales and Profit are completely objective. Like I said, you're welcome to have a negative, subjective opinion on games that are objectively good. I personally found Dishonored to be tedious and boring, but objectively it was a success.

Yes, sales and profit are objective. But they're not the same thing as quality.

curl-6 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Ironically most of the people who hate Rare and claim how "awful" their current games are haven't even played them.

Kameo, Kinect Sports, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, and Viva Pinata 1 and 2 are all solid and fun games. It drives me crazy how it seems like now days if a game isnt an M rated edgy or a "hardcore" title it must be casual crap. Theres other types of games people than Halo, The Last of Us, Gears of War, etc.

I have played them, and I respectfully disagree about them being fun.

As for me ruling them out because they're not M rated or "hardcore," some of my favourite games of the 7th gen include Mario Galaxy 1 &2, and Doney Kong Country Returns. I also loved Wii Sports Resort, and I don't muh care for Halo.

I don't hate MS or the 360 either. The 360 has given me some of my best gaming experiences of the 7th gen with Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, and Bayonetta.

The kind of games Rare has made since the N64 just don't float my boat, that's all.

Im not calling out anyone in particular and Im sure you have played them and simply not enjoyed them.

Im just referring to overall.  Most of the time now days if a game is more family or group oriented or "casual" its instantly referred to as crap.  That line of thinking drives me crazy.  Theres other kinds of games out there for different types of people.

Movies would be awful if every one of them was an R rated action fest.  Its just one way the "core" gaming community really needs to grow up

Around the Network

One game I can name that is "shitty" using objective values that sold over 5 million is Gears of War. That is the first game I played for the current generation and is the game that solidified my ps3 purchase. It was praised because in honesty there was nothing worth while before it launched.

How can I say it was shitty using objectivity? Well it was full of glitches and bugs first of all. This absolutley ruined my multiplayer experience and was frustrating to no end when the people purposely jumped out of the map. Or dear lord the chainsaw glitch where the person could run full speed and get close to you and autokilled you. The story was really weak and left me confused. It didn't really explain who Marcus was or what the enemy was. On top the campaign was really short.

This is the one game that I don't understand how it got so big. From what I hear the sequels fix all the complaints of the first game but the fact remains that the first one wasn't a good game.

ITT someone confuses objectively with subjectively.

J_Allard said:

You said I "stooped" to a "stupid" list, and that it was "adorable."

curl-6 said:
J_Allard said:

You said I "stooped" to a "stupid" list, and that it was "adorable."

If you consider that being rude or condescending then you should probably stop posting on the Internet.

curl-6 said:

Yes, sales and profit are objective. But they're not the same thing as quality.

I understand your point. Quality can be subjective as well, but the implication is that good sales = good quality. You don't generally see poor products selling well.