By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Problem With the Wii U is the Wii

rutea7 said:
Booyah said:
Scisca said:
So salesmen have finally discovered what we have been predicting months before the release of the Wii U. The casuals have moved on to mobiles and tablets and are no longer interested in consoles. Better late than never I guess...

Taking the word of one salesperson and using it for a broad statement for all salespeople seems a little ridiculous.

Also if the casuals are no longer interested in consoles, then expect a gaming crash bigger than the one from the 80's.

Yes, barbie and Disney princesses games are doomed!

Seriously it's not like casuals support their systems with lots of software purchases. At most you'll see a drop in sales numbers for casual, party and dancing games.

Nintendo core gamers will keep buying the console and every single 1st party game but the hardware sales won't get a push from casuals until an atractive price point is reached in 2 or 3 years and the game library gets bigger.

Wii got a big sales push when it got under 200 if I recall correctly.

i think you are underestimating the power of the casual game market, which is prominent for all consoles.

Personally I think the person who buys a PS3/360 and only plays Madden/CoD/GTA is just as casual as the old lady who bought a Wii just to play Wii sports and Wii fit. The only difference is if you ask the person playing CoD/Madden, they would not consider themselves casual, where as the old lady would have no idea what you were talking about lol.

The real "hardcore" gamers are such a minority that if the industry had only them to sustain it, it would collapse.

My opinion of casual is the less varied of games you play, the more casual you are. Real hardcore gamers will play/try any game if it is fun. 

Around the Network
rutea7 said:
Paquito said:
The problem with the Wii U = FALSE

Starting with that true, I can say to you that the problem with the third parties will be solved when Nintendo, again, go to the rescue of the console. And then: 10/10, 40/40,... you know, Nintendo games.

Are you to young to not see that the third companies abandoned Nintendo since PS is here? Playstation IS the problem, the problem of the videogame industry.

Feel free to report me for this but that is one of the most childish thing I ever read in this forum. Nintendo's relationship with 3rd parties is solely their responsibility and PlayStation brand didn't keep the Xbox 360 from thriving this current generation so don't make lame excuses.

Ok, you are too young.

The power of the casual is stronger than most want to believe, it even prompted Microsoft and Sony to incorporate motion controls and follow Nintendos lead.

I think the fact that Nintendo tried to capitalize on the Wii brand instead of doing something new hurt because they really haven't shown software that proves the Wii U is more then a Wii with a tablet and slightly updated graphics.

Had Nintendo launched it with legit must have software only available on the Wii U, then they would have been fine and the 'U' would have its own identity, instead they tried to recreate the Wii launch without the backing of a brand new Zelda or something revolutionary like Wii Sports and they have landed on their faces. The most interesting thing leading up to its launch was Nintendo TVii and even that failed to deliver on its promise due to it being delayed and not having Netflix capabilities when the service did launch.

That might be...I think Wii is on most homes as second console and they have either Pc or some other console..So why get another Wii .

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

The problem with the Wii U sales isn't something that simple. But its close. The main reason is the economy and the "free market". People will only pay as much as the market can bear, and right now with the conditions that are currently going on in the US and Europe buying a new system that has a over $300 price tag isn't something they can just go out and do. And with the problems that the sequester program cuts are going to cause their ability to buy luxury impulse items such as game systems is just going to diminish.

And when it comes down to whether they will buy the new Smart phone/iPad or a new game system, the Smart phone will probably win. Because luxury items are usually meant to show off, and it is easier to show off a phone you have with you and not a system. (Because that is just the way the mass market works.)

So it isn't just the Wii and Nintendo handling of the Wii's software, it is also the 360 and the PS3. Because most who are looking to get a game system who are not consider a system's "core" base, or those who will buy the new system no matter what, they will look at the new system and see an expensive system with a few expensive games, usually sitting next to the older cheaper system, with a ton of games ranging from a few dollars to $60, and some of those games make up a good percentage of the new system's library. Now what you you get go out $600 and only get a system, and at most 3 or four games. Or spend $400 and get a system and the same, or in their mind comparable, games. (Because in most non-core gamers mind there isn't that much of a difference in squeals, so they will prefer to pick up the Killzone compilation in favor for the lure of a new Killzone on the PS4)

So you can view what is currently happening to the Wii U as a portent was what the market is going to be like for the PS4 and the next Xbox. You will have your cores buying up the system during the first few months on the market and then the sales will go down to a trickle. Because your average customer will not be interested in getting the latest and greatest if there is a cheaper alternative on the shelves, with a bigger library and the "same games" out on the older machine.

Also the case of no backwards compatibility is going to play a difference in the first year of the machines lives, especially if some of the titles are going to be $70 like Patcher is contending. (Even though he isn't correct usually, but even a blind man can get a bulls eye if he throws enough darts.)

As for the core not all will adopt the new machines, Kotaku recently put up the results of a survey which concluded only 29% of those who consider themselves core, probally by how much they play and buy for the machines, will be first adopters. Which is the feeling I get when I go to different boards and see comments like "Very nice machine, I will get it once the price drops to $250." It seems $250-to-$300 is going to be the magical number this generation, because that is the price most are drop some are saying $350, and less are $400 and above. (I consider those are the core who will buy no matter what.)

So I would say after that there is two things Nintendo needs to do, one a price cut, we already see they are doing something like that with the ZombieU bundle, more 1st party games and a bigger library. Then they will go on the upswing, and probably will become a barrier for the new console to get over in 2014.

Source of the 29% - http://kotaku.com/5988269/?post=57954381

Paquito said:
rutea7 said:
Paquito said:
The problem with the Wii U = FALSE

Starting with that true, I can say to you that the problem with the third parties will be solved when Nintendo, again, go to the rescue of the console. And then: 10/10, 40/40,... you know, Nintendo games.

Are you to young to not see that the third companies abandoned Nintendo since PS is here? Playstation IS the problem, the problem of the videogame industry.

Feel free to report me for this but that is one of the most childish thing I ever read in this forum. Nintendo's relationship with 3rd parties is solely their responsibility and PlayStation brand didn't keep the Xbox 360 from thriving this current generation so don't make lame excuses.

Ok, you are too young.

Of course, I'm way too young because I don't get stuck in time and remain loyal to a nostalgic gaming company. I actually went where the games I wanted to play were being released.

In my opinion it all began when Nintendo started making bad hardware choices, first with keeping cartridges for Nintendo 64 making it very little RPG friendly.

But hey thank you, a lady loves being called young. Even if its by a "Mario gamer".

I'm going to go ahead right now and be very blunt. No system sellers. Which ones?

1. No Mario Kart

2, No Smash Brothers

3. No Pikmin

4. No 3D Mario game

5. No price cut

4. No bundles (Until Zombi-U is out)

5. No Zelda

6. No RPG's

7. No Exclusives (Edit: I meant 3rd party exclusives that'll sell consoles)

8. No Star Fox

9. No Killer App 3rd Parties Games

10. Average 3rd Party support

11. Its name is confusing with Wii (Casuals)

12. No hype

13. Lame commercials

etc etc

Sooo as long at these are true for the time being, they are reasons why the Wii U will struggle to sell, yes?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Multiple reasons, but you named the most important ones.

The main reason why the WiiU isn't selling as good right now: Casuals
I think no one would deny that casual gamers played a huge role in the success of the Wii.

Problem No.1: Marketing

Casual gamers won't go to gaming stores to look what's new or buy gaming magazines etc.. Marketing is incredibly important here. If you don't know it exists you can't buy it.
And even if you know it you must make it clear that the console is a true successor and not just some add-on piece or a new game in the Wii series.

Problem No.2: Games

This time for both audiences. Core gamers need more core Nintendo games like Pikmin, Zelda etc.. ZombiU alone won't solve this issue.
Casual gamers need something different, something that pulls them in. Nintendo Land has certainly not the same effect as Wii Sports.
But an important question here will be. Is it enough to release a sequel to a big franchise like Wii Sports or Wii Fit ? Would people spend $400 to play something very similar that they have already at home ?
For what's certain, Just Dance 5 will not be the answer to this question. The people that are interested will buy the Wii version. (overall I expect the series to shrink once more, probably below 5m)

Problem No.3: Features

Motion controls are well known for the past few years, but is it really a good idea to set them behind the tablet in the 2nd row of controller options ? Is the tablet revolutionary enough to make non-gaming people buy the console just to see what the tablet is able to do ? Doesn't look like it.

If Nintendo made a more powerful console, they may have gotten some more of the PS360PC crowd into their boat, but they didn't do it with the Wii either, so it would have helped, but it wasn't essential.

theARTIST0017 said:

I'm going to go ahead right now and be very blunt. No system sellers. Which ones?

1. No Mario Kart

2, No Smash Brothers

3. No Pikmin

4. No 3D Mario game

5. No price cut

4. No bundles (Until Zombi-U is out)

5. No Zelda

6. No RPG's

7. No Exclusives (Edit: I meant 3rd party exclusives that'll sell consoles)

8. No Star Fox

9. No Killer App 3rd Parties Games

10. Average 3rd Party support

11. Its name is confusing with Wii (Casuals)

12. No hype

13. Lame commercials

etc etc

Sooo as long at these are true for the time being, they are reasons why the Wii U will struggle to sell, yes?

You forgot..

No online waverace

No clever upad use

No dobble upad use

No cool nintendo tvii in europe

And most important (for a system) no hack.. meaning in the minute the homebrew's people get the upad and tv work perfect together.. we will see mp4 support and a lot of other cool things..

100% wii u... are not even startet yet.. And i bet anything, that the sony and ms people are not happy that nintendo made a machine, that for most of the casuals can run games like wathcdog, black opps 2, and also has the new nintendo games, and the speciel nintendo way of doing things..