By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much will Dragon Quest X impact Wii U sales?

Tagged games:

spurgeonryan said:
The same the other ports ha e done for it. Although it will be nice to have this game push 1 million units total. Cross platform play?

Yeah it does have cross platform play.

Around the Network

I think this game is going to help Nintendo get back on track in Japan and should help them bring up console sales. I mean this combined with MH is a good combination for a new console and will probably help push a few people over that hump, especially if they do a bundle of it which they probably will. And hell MH sold 200k and those games dont tend to do to well on consoles. DQ games are mainly console centered so I can see this doing at least double that.

Games are fun.

axumblade said:

The next closest to the DQX in sales was DQV (which still has 1 million in sales more than DQX).

Japan disappoints me. Dragon Quest V is a masterpiece. If the DS remakes are anything to go by, DQIV and VI are two of the most overrated games in existance.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

axumblade said:
F0X said:
axumblade said:

The next closest to the DQX in sales was DQV (which still has 1 million in sales more than DQX).

Japan disappoints me. Dragon Quest V is a masterpiece.

Actually, that was my bad. The PS2 remake sold 1.65 million. The SNES version sold 2.79 million. If you total them all up (plus the DS version) its over 6 million. :)

Thank goodness. For a second there I thought that the Japanese actually favored Dragon Quest VI (worst $40 I've ever spent) or something.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Hopefully the bundle might do something, but looking at MH3 I can't say I'm sure.

Around the Network

You'll get a hundred thousand sales for the upgraders alone, a couple hundred thousand more that will just want the game because it's Dragon Quest. Then a few hundred thousand more who were holding off for the definitive version of the game on Wii U. So I think sales will be fairly high.

The main reason sales are lower than other Dragon Quest games is because most fans of traditional style RPGs don't like Online games. The reason why Warcraft was successful was because the Warcraft/Starcraft fanbase like online games.

People who don't think a Dragon quest game will do well in Japan obviously are unaware of the popularity of the franchise in that country.

The real question is how much value will this attention will bring to the Wii U in a time when Nintendo has no other big games on the schedule to build on that attention.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

i agree with most everyone, it won't do much. it was already out on wii and wii was about as successful of a console as a console can be so i don't see it pulling in any new audience that has a wiiU but never had a wii.

it will sell some. probably on par with the success of batmanAC and mass effect 3. late port status. as an MMO it might to a smidgen better with "upgraders" but overall it will be capped at "lower than wii" sales.

The game comes with Wii U hardware bundle, so I expect japanese Wii U sales to rise over 25,000 that week (Game & Wario releasing the same week, too @ on 28/3).

Also, I think DQX U total sales in Japan will reach 100K+ mark (original FFXI on PS2 sold ~120K in Japan) in a few weeks and then game to sold slowly in upcoming months (original DQX for Wii still selling -- every week in MC Top 50, registration codes also popping up on weekly charts of stores like TSUTAYA; 400K users playing it online as of march)

Square Enix planning to protote DQX like 10 years, so new versions and expansion packs would help reach new users in upcoming years.

Meret said:

The game comes with Wii U hardware bundle, so I expect japanese Wii U sales to rise over 25,000 that week (Game & Wario releasing the same week, too @ on 28/3).

Also, I think DQX U total sales in Japan will reach 100K+ mark (original FFXI on PS2 sold ~120K in Japan) in a few weeks and then game to sold slowly in upcoming months (original DQX for Wii still selling -- every week in MC Top 50, registration codes also popping up on weekly charts of stores like TSUTAYA; 400K users playing it online as of march)

Square Enix planning to protote DQX like 10 years, so new versions and expansion packs would help reach new users in upcoming years.

Oh, so 2 games in the same week. Then we won't be able to see the real impact of DQX.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I wonder if DQ X will go on to be the best source of revenue for the entire series like Final Fantasy XI ended up to be.