By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Age of Empires II HD - coming April 2013.

Tagged games:

I still like to play the single player campaigns of the original game..

I'll get this version if they improve more than the graphics.

Around the Network

One of my favourite pc games, will buy once its on sale.

I'll get this... so long as it still allows the use of custom AIs.

okr said:
Zkuq said:
okr said:
Gamers are so easy to please. This HD remake of one of the best RTS games ever looks terrible, I won't get it.

I don't think it was ever called a remake, more like a remastered version. And that HD pretty much means it'll run at HD resolutions out-of-the-box without mods and such, not that it's HD quality.

Okay then, it's just remastered. Whatever. 17 or 18 easy bucks from tens of thousands of gamers around the world donated to the company that shut down Ensemble Studios just because they wanted to. As I said, gamers are easy to please. I'm not a Microsoft hater, I got a 360, but they won't get my money for this. The unneeded shutdown of ES is the one thing about MS I'll never forget.

Well, I'm not getting it either. 17€ is way too much for such an old game, and as far as I know, the only real differences compared to the original game are that you don't need mods and such to run it in decent resolutions, and that there's multiplayer via Steam. And then there's that shutting down ES thing as well.

okr said:
Zkuq said:
okr said:
Gamers are so easy to please. This HD remake of one of the best RTS games ever looks terrible, I won't get it.

I don't think it was ever called a remake, more like a remastered version. And that HD pretty much means it'll run at HD resolutions out-of-the-box without mods and such, not that it's HD quality.

Okay then, it's just remastered. Whatever. 17 or 18 easy bucks from tens of thousands of gamers around the world donated to the company that shut down Ensemble Studios just because they wanted to. As I said, gamers are easy to please. I'm not a Microsoft hater, I got a 360, but they won't get my money for this. The unneeded shutdown of ES is the one thing about MS I'll never forget.

Personally I think the Steam/Steamworks support is worth the cost alone. Be great to play online multiplayer again.

@ bolded

nor will I, it was unforgivable.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
okr said:
Zkuq said:
okr said:

Personally I think the Steam/Steamworks support is worth the cost alone. Be great to play online multiplayer again.

Exactly. This will bring new life to the online community of the game. People have played AoE 2 online through different services during all these years since the release in 1999 but since Gamespy shut down over 5 years ago only experts remained. Now a release on Steam will give a chance for players of even mediocre skill to play AoE2 online (hopefully).

It's gonna be so awesome!

And perhaps this version is actually playable over network!

"Syntax error" was the worst phrase we ever read on every LAN we had.

Mummelmann said:

I never had that problem. However with 6 of us in LAN it really started to crawl with everyone having huge armies on the move. 200 x 6 units on the map meant it would take 15 minutes to reach the other side of the map, we gave up.

@Okr The HD remaster is done by Hidden Path Entertainement, a private company. So you won't be rewarding MS for destroying the franchise. However I also think $20 is a bit of a cash grab for this. I'll pick it up when it's $10. I don't expect to play it for that long anyway, I already played it to death back in the day.

SvennoJ said:
Mummelmann said:

I never had that problem. However with 6 of us in LAN it really started to crawl with everyone having huge armies on the move. 200 x 6 units on the map meant it would take 15 minutes to reach the other side of the map, we gave up.

@Okr The HD remaster is done by Hidden Path Entertainement, a private company. So you won't be rewarding MS for destroying the franchise. However I also think $20 is a bit of a cash grab for this. I'll pick it up when it's $10. I don't expect to play it for that long anyway, I already played it to death back in the day.

MS will receive money from this. It is their franchise.

dobby985 said:
SvennoJ said:
Mummelmann said:

MS will receive money from this. It is their franchise.

Exactly. With the purchase of this HD remaster people reward Microsoft for the Ensemble Studios shutdown.