By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GoW:Ascension is frustrating reviewers

Tagged games:

If this is a random difficult spike somewhere in the middle of the game and everything past that is much easier, then it's surely not a good thing and reviewers will punish it for that if it really takes multiple tries.

They should patch that quickly.

If it's one of the last encounters.... probably still not good, but not as dramatic.

Around the Network

High 80s meta confirmed? :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

platformmaster918 said:
Aldro said:

Anyone else worried about the reviews but me? Watch Sesslers video. He really presents a case that just feels unreal. I mean the only game I think of is like Demon/Dark Souls and I am truly worried it's more of a bad design rather than a difficult one. I think they're gonna pan GoW:A :[

I really felt like Demon's Souls' difficulty was a product of bad design.  I mean I beat most of the game (got too grindy once I beat the 10th or so boss) but I could not get over the lack of checkpoints (I count this as bad design because I would be at full health until the boss every level because combat was pretty easy against the other people but then die and have to go through the tedious task of killing everything again even though I had already proven I could do it) and wretched targeting system (could not fix the camera when I tried to target someting in a tunnel or low walled room).

you are wrong, demon's souls design was perfect.  the only design flaw was your inability to L2P.

This is making me nervous, how does it take 3 hrs to complete a puzzle? =/

Reviewers are usually the biggest noobs around.
They play a lot but that doesn't mean they have anything you can call skill.

This is why games like CoD,Halo and other casuals franchises get high scores...You can jump in and be a MLG Pro.
For some people this is great so they can clap themself on the shoulder but REAL GAMERS don't like that.
But in reality this is just like liking your own post on facebook....
Im pretty sure that section in God of War is pretty easy if you know how to play the game.

Today they would give a UT,PK,Quake or so a low 30 score cause they aren't able to qualify for the World Finals with only playing 5 minutes a day.

@Demon/Dark Souls

Those games are perfect.
The game is always fair - If you die it is YOUR fault.People are just so arrogant to admit they just suck.
Oooh im so good online in some random casual game and then this game is beating the crap out of me?Bad game confirmed :D

Around the Network

There was a puzzle in God of War 1 that made me quit for a few months. I eventually came back and beat it. I then came to a combat section that made me quit for a few more months lol.

EDIT: Also, Adam Sessler looks more and more like a meth head everytime I see him.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Pussies.... and of course they're playing on "normal", the so-called videogame veterans.

dsgrue3 said:
platformmaster918 said:

I really felt like Demon's Souls' difficulty was a product of bad design. 

I think you're in the minority here...and you didn't even finish the game. Game wasn't remotely grindy. The only reason you had to replay the section was because of your own error: you failed to destroy the boss. You could run through a few sections and ignore the creatures, especially if you opened the shortcuts. Camera issue I guess is a fair complaint, although I would argue that you could simply not target. 

OT: I welcome a challenge.

A game should not make you replay a section (a good 30 minutes worth of a section) when you've clearly demonstrated that you can go through it perfectly.  Also I beat like 10 of the bosses and didn't die too much but honestly I just got annoyed with the targeting and replaying of the easy parts just to get to the hard parts.  There should be a checkpoint before the final boss.  If you want to give me just as much health as I had before then fine.  I don't mind a challenge.  I've platinumed a lot of games (most require you to beat on hard).  I've beaten really difficult 8 and 16 bit games, but damn I hated that lack of checkpoints.  It just felt like they were artificially extending the game's hours by making me replay easy parts again and again so that by the time I got to the boss I didn't remember the right strategy (eventually I found that most of them had easy ways to beat them with the environment).  Bottom line is I didn't stop because of difficulty.  I had just beaten a giant dragon that you to harpoon and when I did I basically thought to myself "I am not having fun with this" and sold it.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

sales2099 said:
High 80s meta confirmed? :P

More like mid. I've predicted 86 and I stay by it as much as I love GoW.

So it was a simpLe puzzle they couldn;t figure out for 3 hours because it was so obvious. I'm gonna remember that for when I get to it ha.