By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GoW:Ascension is frustrating reviewers

Tagged games:

Deyon said:
Hynad said:
Frustrated?

So you hide all this time in the shadows and the first comment i see you post in a long time is to correct someone's grammer!!

I'm disappointed :(

I was not in the shadows!! You just don't look carefully enough.

And really, I'm not the only one who was "annoyed" by his spelling. =P

Around the Network

Guys: Apparantly its not a combat section entirely. DarknessBear & Nofi on GAF claims the following:

"I got stuck for ages on a certain section (around about level 10). It's frustrating because the solution is so damned obvious when you do it, but everything's telling you not to do it.

Really, really silly level design there for a moment."

"Oh wow! Haha, yea I have no fucking idea.

And it is a puzzle yes."

"Oh is someone else stuck? Ahhhh! I think the game is broken... I have no clue. "

ahh a puzzle, reminds me of portal. the first playthrough you need a lot of portals to end a level, when you play it on a harder difficulty with less portals you realize that you only need much less portals and that you did everything way too complicated with the first playthrough.

kain_kusanagi said:
HesAPooka said:
No, not worried. Difficulty should be a good thing. I hate being able to walk through a game.

If  professional game reviewer gets stuck it's not a matter of balanced gameplay challenge. It means that the game has a design flaw that either fails to teach the player what is demanded of them to progress or allows the computer to just plain cheat. It's probably patchable.

Good points. I.... I have nothing to add to that.

Edit: it's a puzzle

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Aldro said:
Guys: Apparantly its not a combat section entirely. DarknessBear & Nofi on GAF claims the following:

"I got stuck for ages on a certain section (around about level 10). It's frustrating because the solution is so damned obvious when you do it, but everything's telling you not to do it.

Really, really silly level design there for a moment."

"Oh wow! Haha, yea I have no fucking idea.

And it is a puzzle yes."

"Oh is someone else stuck? Ahhhh! I think the game is broken... I have no clue. "

I thiink that most probably it is a matter of thinking the right way.   They just can not accept that their approach to the puzzle was kind of stupid.     It reminds me of when I was playing Darksiders2, and there were some puzzles that I thought WTF is this, then I checked youtube, and I was like....... I feel so stupid right now.

Around the Network

Don't know if that puts me off or not. A harder difficulty can and does make me rage lol.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
Don't know if that puts me off or not. A harder difficulty can and does make me rage lol.

If that is the case, by the time you reach that puzzle, I bet there will be youtube videos of hardcore GOW fans showing how it should be solved.  So, no real problem there. :D

I'm surprised justthatgamer hasn't posted in here yet ;o

Aldro said:

Anyone else worried about the reviews but me? Watch Sesslers video. He really presents a case that just feels unreal. I mean the only game I think of is like Demon/Dark Souls and I am truly worried it's more of a bad design rather than a difficult one. I think they're gonna pan GoW:A :[

I really felt like Demon's Souls' difficulty was a product of bad design.  I mean I beat most of the game (got too grindy once I beat the 10th or so boss) but I could not get over the lack of checkpoints (I count this as bad design because I would be at full health until the boss every level because combat was pretty easy against the other people but then die and have to go through the tedious task of killing everything again even though I had already proven I could do it) and wretched targeting system (could not fix the camera when I tried to target someting in a tunnel or low walled room).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:

I really felt like Demon's Souls' difficulty was a product of bad design. 

I think you're in the minority here...and you didn't even finish the game. Game wasn't remotely grindy. The only reason you had to replay the section was because of your own error: you failed to destroy the boss. You could run through a few sections and ignore the creatures, especially if you opened the shortcuts. Camera issue I guess is a fair complaint, although I would argue that you could simply not target. 

OT: I welcome a challenge.