By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - EA Origin: What are your thoughts?

I hate Origin with a passion, had the misfortune of being forced into it by purchasing Battlefield 3. Server issues, browser based bullshit service, high prices, poor maintenance and impossible to reach customer service. They have disabled their tech support e-mail, all you can do is send a request through their IM service bullshit or wait for "live chat" help, where they're actually using other gamers as help as well as a few other morons...
Their tech support consists of mostly other gamer, taste that sentence for a bit if you would. The live chat feautre is often something you have one hour + in waiting time with before anyone has time to answer you.
This is why I want to be able to send an e-mail.
How about phone? Nope, domestic number disabled and foreign numbers cost over 1$ per minute and have an average waiting time of over 40 minutes per call, on top is the added cost of the conversation itself, often with a person who doesn't have a clue about the products, they're simply instructed to feed certain lines and given only very base knowledge of the subjects at hand.

Origin also insists that I re-install the browser plug-in every now and then, even if there has been no update. Oh, and when there's updates its the same. Punkbuster also crashes all the time and I get kicked out of servers or experience periods where I simply can't join any games at all for hours on end.

All in all, Origin is shit, a pale and tragic shadow of Steam. I purchase all my games on Steam or GOG and will probably only buy Battlefield 4 for Origin, I refuse to get anything else that forces me to use their crap service.

Around the Network

You can't really blame them for releasing their own games only on their own platform. (which I think isn't even true for all their recent games ?)

I don't understand all the hate for origin. It is getting better than when it first started off. The spyware was dumb though, but everything else is fine.

I will admit one thing.

Origin is still light years better than Games for Windows Live.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

fordy said:
Scoobes said:

That's only rumour and I think that's a major exageration. EA want control of their own servers/distribution for their games, and by the sound of things they've managed to negotiate an arrangement with Sony and Microsoft (guess we'll see at E3).

If it's anything like the mix up with Valve, then EA want to be able to control where, when and how DLC gets released for their games. Sounds like Valve and Nintendo don't want to lose that control, let alone the potential revenue or DLC sales data.

I'm pretty sure the article states that EA wanted to host the Nintendo Network by themselves,, which Nintendo turned down. How would this make them lose control of their servers?

I had some proper thought about it earlier, and I'd say it was no wonder that EA were desperately trying to get Origin into the console market, considering Valve has been in the media lately about making a console of their own....

EA wanting to take control of Nintendo's online services is a rumor that comes from an unsubstantiated Reddit post that cites a source who was supposedly at a Kyoto meeting between Nintendo and EA.  Yeah, really.  The post said, "Nintendo Network and Miiverse would have to become Origin exclusive."

The internet being the internet, people have decided this must be true, despite it making absolutely zero sense.

What Scoobes said is most likely what happened.  EA wanted their releases to access Origin from within the game and Nintendo declined, much as Steam did before them.  I would imagine that EA worked something out with Sony and Microsoft.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
I don't understand all the hate for origin. It is getting better than when it first started off. The spyware was dumb though, but everything else is fine.

It comes down to this: Everyone wants one format, one friend list, one company with all your games. EA forces people to have two. This pisses people off. From just a convience aspect. Nothing else matters. They could shit gold bricks, and people would still yell Sim City isn't on steam.

Right now i am not happy

fordy said:
Scoobes said:
fordy said:
nero said:

This: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/04/ea-apparently-desperate-for-nintendo-to-include-origin-on-wii-u/
 in other words, they wanted to force Nintendo to use his online services. That's why we don't have DLC for ME3

Wow..

Before I read that article, I thought EA just wanted an Origin app for WiiU....but no...they wanted Nintendo's network to be hosted by them?

Thank god that never transpired...

That's only rumour and I think that's a major exageration. EA want control of their own servers/distribution for their games, and by the sound of things they've managed to negotiate an arrangement with Sony and Microsoft (guess we'll see at E3).

If it's anything like the mix up with Valve, then EA want to be able to control where, when and how DLC gets released for their games. Sounds like Valve and Nintendo don't want to lose that control, let alone the potential revenue or DLC sales data.

I'm pretty sure the article states that EA wanted to host the Nintendo Network by themselves,, which Nintendo turned down. How would this make them lose control of their servers?

I had some proper thought about it earlier, and I'd say it was no wonder that EA were desperately trying to get Origin into the console market, considering Valve has been in the media lately about making a console of their own....

Like I said, the entire article is based on rumours that I find hard to believe. I can't imagine any publisher, even EA would be quite so ridiculous in their demands. Based on their previous arguments with Microsoft and Valve, I find it far more likely they demanded control of their own games and servers (so they would be completely out of Nintendo's control, therefore controlling Nintendo's network but only for EA games) rather than demanding Origin be Nintendo's only online service.

No company can be that stupid. Guess we'll have to see if Origin has any implementations on the new Xbox/PS4 that doesn't show up WiiU before we can really guess what transpired.

pokoko said:
fordy said:
Scoobes said:

EA wanting to take control of Nintendo's online services is a rumor that comes from an unsubstantiated Reddit post that cites a source who was supposedly at a Kyoto meeting between Nintendo and EA.  Yeah, really.  The post said, "Nintendo Network and Miiverse would have to become Origin exclusive."

The internet being the internet, people have decided this must be true, despite it making absolutely zero sense.

What Scoobes said is most likely what happened.  EA wanted their releases to access Origin from within the game and Nintendo declined, much as Steam did before them.  I would imagine that EA worked something out with Sony and Microsoft.

Open to links and references if you have any...

After all, I did say before that it WAS my original perception before the article....

Scoobes said:

Like I said, the entire article is based on rumours that I find hard to believe. I can't imagine any publisher, even EA would be quite so ridiculous in their demands. Based on their previous arguments with Microsoft and Valve, I find it far more likely they demanded control of their own games and servers (so they would be completely out of Nintendo's control, therefore controlling Nintendo's network but only for EA games) rather than demanding Origin be Nintendo's only online service.

No company can be that stupid. Guess we'll have to see if Origin has any implementations on the new Xbox/PS4 that doesn't show up WiiU before we can really guess what transpired.

I wouldn't call it demands...

By the way the article read, Nintendo was looking for a better hosting solution for Nintendo Network, and EA's proposal was to integrate the Nintendo Network in with Origin. It isn't as ridiculous as some proposals that Nintendo has been offered in the past. Remember the original deal with Sony that made Nintendo switch to Philips? Sony's clause stated that it was entitled to ALL licensing fees paid on the SNES CD. So by this sense, I'd say Nintendo would probably be looking for some kind of outsourcing, but want to keep some kind of control/say in the matter. To EA, that would pretty much be letting somebody else dictate how to use their Origin network, so it most likely would not have worked out...