By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Regarding the PS4 announcement - "More, More, More—How Do You Like It? "

Gaikai is just more of the same? No.

Opening their platform a great deal is just more of the same? No!

Rubbing your virtual penis against virtual car seats with true-to-life thread counts is just more of the same? NO!

Around the Network

And I guess that just because the Wii won the generation, some people are assuming that don't make technological progress is definitely the way to go - instead, let's introduce more and more gimmicks, that'll make things better.
These are the same people who certainly call motion controls the "future of gaming".

pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
o_O.Q said:
now that i've looked through the article again i can see the auther has made no mentioned of knack or infamous ss but hand picked games to write on and use to generalise the entire line up

sony announced their development of 4 very different games under different genres

knack ( adventure/platformer )
infamous ss ( open world superhero game )
killzone ( fps )
drive club ( racing )

how can the argument seriously be made that there is no variety there?

I don't know how Drive Club is all that different than any other driving simulator.

Is a new Mario any different than another Mario? No...

It's a driving game, it involves driving. What do people expect from driving games? Seriously, this is a dull way to look at the industry. No driving games allowed! No action games allowed either. No good graphics either. And let us ignore all the other games Sony showed too! Let us ignore that Nintendo had NOTHING for WiiU when they revealed it (and even now they only have Nintendo Land and...a new Mario).

This Nintendo-superiority complex is sickening - now I am talking about people who write articles like that or who hold uninformed grudges against a company for years because they can't like anything other than Nintendo.

I missed the part of the article where the author talks about how great the Wii U is.  Of course, feel free to establish straw man articles if you can't refute him.

pezus said:

Is a new Mario any different than another Mario? No...

It's a driving game, it involves driving. What do people expect from driving games? Seriously, this is a dull way to look at the industry. No driving games allowed! No action games allowed either. No good graphics either. And let us ignore all the other games Sony showed too! Let us ignore that Nintendo had NOTHING for WiiU when they revealed it (and even now they only have Nintendo Land and...a new Mario).

This Nintendo-superiority complex is sickening - now I am talking about people who write articles like that or who hold uninformed grudges against a company for years because they can't like anything other than Nintendo.

Was I ignoring the fact that some of Sony's games shown were at least slightly different? No, because that would be ridiculous. I was pointing out the fact that this Drive Club game is nothing different, it's nothing special. It doesn't even look all that pretty, really.

It's funny that you mention superiority-complexes, though. As Nintendo isn't the only company to hold this.

I wonder if this grumpy, pitiful little man throws a similar fit every time smart-phone hardware improves or when Nintendo comes out with a new console. Because, you know, according to him, they're hurting creativity, too.

Where does he even draw the line? 16-bit? 8-bit? When did this evil increase in hardware specifications destroy creativity? Was it the point where every single game wasn't a platformer or a sidescroller?

I almost feel sorry for the guy. So much bitterness over a hobby about people having fun is sad.

Around the Network

There are a few things that can be criticized about the conference such as Squares showing (or lack thereof) but this article is basically complaining the PS4 is more powerful lol.

Sony made a fairly powerful new console that developers are praising for it's ease of use when it comes to developing games. Apparently somehow that's a bad thing. I highly believe this author would be writing negative things about Sony no matter what the PS4 was capable of.

RolStoppable said:
A wonderful read. More horsepower and better graphics don't automatically lead to better games. Gaming is held back by technology, but not in the sense many gamers would think.

It's more than just more horsepower and better graphics. It is  a console built by developers for developers. I can't stress how incredible this is.
PS4 has 8 GB of UNIFIED GDDR5 RAM. It is extremely easy to develop for and from the current leaks(which were all pretty much true) the next XBox will take a backseat next-gen for the PS4. Not only is PS4 more powerful, but it is easier to work with.

PS4 isn't held back by its tech specs, it's held back by developers' imaginations and creativity. 

RolStoppable said:
pezus said:
What did Nintendo think would solve the problem? A tablet controller! Wow, mind-blown.

Why does gaming have to change significantly every generation?
And how did they not present some AWESOME ideas for GAMING - YES! For gaming. Gaikai is mindblowing and something that is a first in the industry.

And I would advise people to actually watch the conference before judging where Sony is going. Yes, this is directed at Rol.

What is the "right" direction for gaming? More platformers, more Nintendo games, simpler graphics obviously, but what else?

The actual solution was the Wii, but it was rejected by the industry. The Wii U was a response to Nintendo getting rejected by the industry. As such, the Wii U is part of the problem that is addressed in the article.

Gaming needs to survive. You can't keep selling to the same amount of consumers when development costs continue to go up. At some point there will be a collapse. If you paid any attention, the number of high profile studios that have closed has increased in the last few years.

The right direction for gaming is healthy diversity. An environment where publishers are willing to greenlight new ideas instead of one where they only bank on safe bets with ever increasing budgets. You, like many others in this thread, mistake this article as a rant of a Nintendo fanboy (since the tone is anti-Sony and Microsoft is heading down the same direction, it can only come from a Nintendo supporter). Didn't you notice that the middle has already fallen out on the 360 and PS3? JRPG fans probably know this problem, because these two HD consoles combined couldn't provide the wealth of the PS2. More power isn't going to solve this problem, it will only intensify it.

Why was Wii rejected by the industry though?

Because it was severely underpowered and had none of the big 3rd party games such as Grand Theft Auto or Assassin's Creed. Wii U is the solution to the Wii problem, but its too late.

@bold
I can tell you didn't see the Sony conference. Long Story Short, the philosophy of the PS4 is a platform that removes all limitations. There's more than enough fast ram, there's social features to encourage social interaction, there's Cloud technology, smartphone/tablet/Vita integration and of course more than enough power to satisfy power-hungry developers. Probably most important of all is the support of all 3rd party developers. Something Nintendo would kill for.

pokoko said:
I'm amazed that people are praising this guy for his hateful, narrow-minded little rant. Allowing better tools for artists is bad? Seriously? Allowing more RAM is -bad- for creative freedom? Does anyone seriously believe that?

I'm not even sure he was watching the conference; either that, or he's not above lying to further his argument. He completely and totally bypassed pretty much everything the guy from Evolution was talking about with DriveClub. He described the main character from Killzone as a "new recruit" when it was beyond obvious that he was an important person in the military.

The author just seemed to be very petty and self-centered, a person who tells kids to get off his lawn because they like things that are different from him.

pokoko, I love you man -- you know that -- but this isn't a hateful, narrow-minded rant. It's a well-researched, well-articulated argument for a specific video game philosophy. I completely understand that you and others don't agree with it, but it's more professional than 90% of the garbage we get from video game writers.

Moreover, I completely agree with him. I'm quite confident PS4 will host some great games, probably some all-time great games, but the idea that more power and fewer restrictions are what the medium needs is wrong, at least in my opinion. His comparison to movies is a good one. Have movies become better because of the creative freedom that digital effects afford? No, because the real impediment to progress is the mind of the artist, not his digital playground. And no amount of CGI, RAM, processors, or horsepower will change that.

benao87 said:

The evening’s one aberration was Braid creator Jonathan Blow, who talked about The Witness, his upcoming open-world puzzle game. Taking the stage after a litany of let’s-blow-stuff-up trailers, he cracked, “I don’t know how I can follow all those explosions.” His segment of the event alternated between a cogent exploration of the lazy design choices that plague many mainstream games and Blow’s own determination to avoid those mistakes in The Witness. A lot of open-world games try to wow you with bigness and include a lot of filler, Blow said—true that—but in The Witness he tried to make the island world as compact and dense as possible, so that every inch of the surroundings was a potential point of interest.

Savvy self-promotion? Sure. But it was refreshing to hear someone argue that smart games require a conceptual shift rather than an injection of supercharged-PC-architecture steroids.

Look, the writer is an idiot, pure and simple.  The one person he praised?  Jonathan Blow, I presume because he doesn't actually work for Sony.  However, in the face of that, I find this quote from Jonathon Blow to be pretty amusing:

"The real situation is that, because we are a small developer, we only have the ability to launch on a small number of platforms at once. We liked the idea of being on a console, and originally we thought we might be on the PS3 or Xbox 360, but eventually we decided not to target either of those, due to the relatively low system specs and the work required to do the ports."

But .. but wait!  How can that be possible?  An indie gamer can't want better hardware, they just can't!  You can't have better specifications and better game design at the same time or the universe will explode!