By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Regarding the PS4 announcement - "More, More, More—How Do You Like It? "

pokoko said:

Nope, that's all you.  I would rather plat-formers exist than not exist.  I usually only bring up platformers when someone whines about there being too many FPS games now, as a counterpoint to illustrate that the past was even more dominated by a few genres than the present.

Actually that is wrong. We had way more variety before than now.

Around the Network

Is it just me, or do the bulk of the people who dislike the article not seem to actually understand what it's actually saying? I assume it's largely because it reads like it's slamming Sony specifically (and in fairness, the author diverges from his point a few times to do just that: not sure why not showing a box is a bad thing).

The underlying points are very sound ones, though: more power is not the panacea it was made out to be, and in practice that dogma has brought a lot of ill towards video games. I can't understand the disagreement.

artur-fernand said:

Actually the paragraph that bothers me is the very last one.

And yet Sony’s developers insist on the myth of “more.” More polygons and more gigabytes because surely this time, they will lead to the promised land of creative expression. In practice, this dogma hasn’t done much to improve games. Quite the opposite. As production budgets balloon and the cost of entry shuts out independent voices, the worship of “more” is likely to be the ruination of console gaming as we know it. The industry’s arms race with itself simply is not sustainable. Yet here’s Sony, blithely promising to build a bigger gun. They’d better watch out—the recoil’s a bitch.

See what I mean? "The RUINATION of console gaming as we know it"? That's pretty exagerated.

I agree with you, but I also think that his big argument is not flawed. After all the doom talk we've had over the last year, we are quick to dismiss anything that brings up pessimism.

Sometimes an exageration serves to emphasize a possible outcome, as some other poster had said before, it may not end like the crash of the 80s, but it couls certainly lead to a recession.

Don't get me wrong, I do not wish PS4 to be a fiasco. I'm not angry because of a flawed launch of WiiU. It's just some reasonable talk after all this "before the PS4 there was no gaming" shit.