By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Regarding the PS4 announcement - "More, More, More—How Do You Like It? "

A good read.  Many important points hit, such as the limits of technology spurring on amazing creativity vs high tech allowing more lazy shiny.  What was technology when electricity or the light bulb or telephone were made possible?  These were people that were thinking beyond what the convention was, solving issues with new tech, not just improving the old tech.  How many years later, and we are excited about a few more polygons etc over what the prev. gen gave us?  I totally get this guys point of view.

A friend of mine asked me yesterday, "what does it offer me over my ps3?"  And really, what does it truly offer thats new and fresh?  I guess, not a lot other than software support over the long term when they decide to drop the not good enough ps3.

Now, I'm not saying there won't be stellar gaming experiences to be enjoyed on the system...because of course there will be.  But, is it really that much better than we have experienced in the past because of greater power?  Or will it be more of the same goodness with a shinier cover because devs will be looking at ways to make the games look better, rather than take what power they had and find new ways to utilize it or find fascinating new ways to design games to make up for the fact that they cannot go any further down the road of pretty?

A good read indeed

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:
Yet another huge text saying how not only Sony is doomed, but the entire industry of console gaming will eventually perish. Jesus Christ...

Personally, Andrew House could have entered the stage, showed that image with a shitton of third-parties, said "PlayStation 4, Holydays 2013", walked away, and I'd still be happy. It's gonna have GAMES and isn't that the most important thing? But no, if it doesn't offer something "REVOLUTIONARY" then it will certainly crash and burn.

I don't know about you mate, but studios are not profiting every quarter, and you know what happened to THQ.

Problem with gaming enthusiast is that everything is readed as a jab or an insult. The guy is just questioning some statements of the conferences (I'm particularly fixated in those made by Cage) where they were doing the exact same thing that Pezus is accusing Nintendo fans of. I reckon it's not really healthy, but whatever.

And regarding all those posts regarding Nintendo, I must be terrible at reading, as I missed that part when the author praises the WiiU as the industry saviour.

I wonder if the author of the article insulted somebody's mother.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
pokoko said:
I'm amazed that people are praising this guy for his hateful, narrow-minded little rant. Allowing better tools for artists is bad? Seriously? Allowing more RAM is -bad- for creative freedom? Does anyone seriously believe that?

I'm not even sure he was watching the conference; either that, or he's not above lying to further his argument. He completely and totally bypassed pretty much everything the guy from Evolution was talking about with DriveClub. He described the main character from Killzone as a "new recruit" when it was beyond obvious that he was an important person in the military.

The author just seemed to be very petty and self-centered, a person who tells kids to get off his lawn because they like things that are different from him.

pokoko, I love you man -- you know that -- but this isn't a hateful, narrow-minded rant. It's a well-researched, well-articulated argument for a specific video game philosophy. I completely understand that you and others don't agree with it, but it's more professional than 90% of the garbage we get from video game writers.

Moreover, I completely agree with him. I'm quite confident PS4 will host some great games, probably some all-time great games, but the idea that more power and fewer restrictions are what the medium needs is wrong, at least in my opinion. His comparison to movies is a good one. Have movies become better because of the creative freedom that digital effects afford? No, because the real impediment to progress is the mind of the artist, not his digital playground. And no amount of CGI, RAM, processors, or horsepower will change that.

No, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.  It's a sophomoric and bitter piece.  Read it again and note all the hyperbole and insults.  Note all the strawman arguments and false information.  That's not professional at all.

As for the idea that improving your hardware hurts gaming, that's ridiculous.  It's like saying we should take brushes away from painters and give them pieces of grass because it will make their paintings better.  It's just sophistry.  Not even Nintendo believes that, as every single device they've made has been more powerful than previous models.

Even then, the entire point of Sony's presentation wasn't "moar power", it was about removing artificial barriers.  Are the artists themselves, the developers, complaining about the Cell being replaced by normalized PC architecture?  Are they angry that more RAM lets them do what they want?  If so, then I'll listen to his point, but I haven't heard anything like that.

The writer just wants gaming to fit his vision, that's all, and no other.  He doesn't want explosions, he doesn't want FPS, he doesn't want anything that he won't enjoy to exist.  And that's sad and hateful.  I loathe people like that.

VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
A wonderful read. More horsepower and better graphics don't automatically lead to better games. Gaming is held back by technology, but not in the sense many gamers would think.

It's more than just more horsepower and better graphics. It is  a console built by developers for developers. I can't stress how incredible this is.
PS4 has 8 GB of UNIFIED GDDR5 RAM. It is extremely easy to develop for and from the current leaks(which were all pretty much true) the next XBox will take a backseat next-gen for the PS4. Not only is PS4 more powerful, but it is easier to work with.

PS4 isn't held back by its tech specs, it's held back by developers' imaginations and creativity. 

Xbox has done that since day 1 by making a console thats developer friendly. It must feel nice to be finally be able to speak of PS4 this way. Funny enough PS fans never really appreciated 360 enough for being more developer friendly....wonder what changed :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

pokoko said:

No, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.  It's a sophomoric and bitter piece.  Read it again and note all the hyperbole and insults.  Note all the strawman arguments and false information.  That's not professional at all.

As for the idea that improving your hardware hurts gaming, that's ridiculous.  It's like saying we should take brushes away from painters and give them pieces of grass because it will make their paintings better.  It's just sophistry.  Not even Nintendo believes that, as every single device they've made has been more powerful than previous models.

Even then, the entire point of Sony's presentation wasn't "moar power", it was about removing artificial barriers.  Are the artists themselves, the developers, complaining about the Cell being replaced by normalized PC architecture?  Are they angry that more RAM lets them do what they want?  If so, then I'll listen to his point, but I haven't heard anything like that.

The writer just wants gaming to fit his vision, that's all, and no other.  He doesn't want explosions, he doesn't want FPS, he doesn't want anything that he won't enjoy to exist.  And that's sad and hateful.  I loathe people like that.

bravo..beautifully put

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
A wonderful read. More horsepower and better graphics don't automatically lead to better games. Gaming is held back by technology, but not in the sense many gamers would think.

It's more than just more horsepower and better graphics. It is  a console built by developers for developers. I can't stress how incredible this is.
PS4 has 8 GB of UNIFIED GDDR5 RAM. It is extremely easy to develop for and from the current leaks(which were all pretty much true) the next XBox will take a backseat next-gen for the PS4. Not only is PS4 more powerful, but it is easier to work with.

PS4 isn't held back by its tech specs, it's held back by developers' imaginations and creativity. 

That's a great thing to say. But, high-end, amazing specs aren't needed for imagination or creativity. That's where it goes wrong.

benao87 said:
artur-fernand said:
Yet another huge text saying how not only Sony is doomed, but the entire industry of console gaming will eventually perish. Jesus Christ...

Personally, Andrew House could have entered the stage, showed that image with a shitton of third-parties, said "PlayStation 4, Holydays 2013", walked away, and I'd still be happy. It's gonna have GAMES and isn't that the most important thing? But no, if it doesn't offer something "REVOLUTIONARY" then it will certainly crash and burn.

I don't know about you mate, but studios are not profiting every quarter, and you know what happened to THQ.

Problem with gaming enthusiast is that everything is readed as a jab or an insult. The guy is just questioning some statements of the conferences (I'm particularly fixated in those made by Cage) where they were doing the exact same thing that Pezus is accusing Nintendo fans of. I reckon it's not really healthy, but whatever.

And regarding all those posts regarding Nintendo, I must be terrible at reading, as I missed that part when the author praises the WiiU as the industry saviour.

I wonder if the author of the article insulted somebody's mother.

Yes, some studios suffer major loses, other studios just close altogether, but go as far as to say that the video game industry WILL eventually perish is a very bold statement. Console sales have only been rising generation per generation, and I honestly don't see video games dying.

The articles that this is producing reminds me of horrid 2005-2007 days when people bickered over system wars. This is worse though, because people are arguing (mostly incorrectly) about someone that isn't even released yet.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

sales2099 said:
VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:

Xbox has done that since day 1 by making a console thats developer friendly. It must feel nice to be finally be able to speak of PS4 this way. Funny enough PS fans never really appreciated 360 enough for being more developer friendly....wonder what changed :P

maybe compared to the PS3, but the 360 wasn't anywhere near as developer-friendly as the PS4 is going to be and the next Xbox.

If the 360 weas so easy to developer then Microsoft wouldn't be siwtching architectures.

NintendoPie said:

That's a great thing to say. But, high-end, amazing specs aren't needed for imagination or creativity. That's where it goes wrong.

Entirely depends on the vision of the creator. Better specs means more freedom to do persue dreams and goals of creators without constraints. This is why devs from teams like Epic are just so giddy about specs of the PS4. It's dev friendly design and plenty of power to do what they want to do. The important thing to understand is just because there is a lot of power, you don't have to use all of it. It just removes limits for those are affected. This is what sony was explaining at the event. Removing limits/boundaries for creation. 

I mean if you check the previous few posts you will notice how the creator of Witness, needed the extra power to make his game a reality. This is why, as he explains, the team skipped the last gen as well as even the wiiu.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!