By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Full PlayStation 4 specifications

People are even dumb enough to do comparisons with a hd6950...sigh. Please tell me how many GCN's does a 6950 have?

Oh thats right...ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ARCHITECTURE.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:
So how does the Wii U compare to it?

Wii U is 1.5 x X360 (barely)

PS4 is 5.5 x Wii U

8GB DDR5 Ram...how in the single hottest hell is that even remotely possible? I've been fixated on this fact since they announced it...This level of RAM alone runs off the production lines at $1200+...I uhh..what the hell!!

SONY Y U DO IMPOSSIBRU!!?

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Shinobi-san said:
People are even dumb enough to do comparisons with a hd6950...sigh. Please tell me how many GCN's does a 6950 have?

Oh thats right...ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ARCHITECTURE.

Wait, wasn't the Radeon 6000 series the first gen to have GCN cores?

joeorc said:
goddog said:
its an odd mishmash of high end on the ram, upper mid range on the gpu, and lower midrange on the cpu ...

using the gddr5 will help hide issues in the cpu but i still feel twoards the end of its life the "eight core" (4 module ) will actually limit what the gpu can do. it will be an interesting switch form this gen where the ram and then gpus were the choke points. and due to the design of the cores, if a game is not programed to take advantage of how the 4 modules operate they could actually slow down the performance below that of a quad core as has been shown on ars in the past.

it will be interesting to see where they take this, at least programming support will be easier... though if they had used intel could have been much easier ....

stupid fake 8 cores .... but then all about arguing what makes a core....

so i guess in summary the ram is a neat choice, the gpu is not as high end as i hopped but not a POS and since its custom may have trick up its sleave
and the cpu leaves a lot to be desired (are we 100% on its clock speed yet)

the clock speed is not really going to be that much of a problem if indeed this is a 3D stacked TSV which im pretty sure it is because the CEO over @ Sony back in jan of 2010 Confirmed it as such, and already Sony is using 3D stacked TSV design already for the PSVita.

the rummored 1.6 would not cut it. go back and look at the IPC of the liniage there yes it has imporved but it needs to be about 15-20% higher clock than comparable intel chips to get close to same leve of output (depeding on work type) even with "8 cores" you will have issues with some games playing at 1.6  . go ahead try out cpu bound games like skrim or civilization, while it will not hurt all games, it will lead to hampering the gpu and limiting the ability to use all resources (throttle a cpu back and play them its not hard to do) and in some cases make them unplayable. 

now if its an idle of 1.6 with throttling under load of up to say 4.x  depending on thermals that would work, but could lead to inconsistant game play among consoles 

more practically 1.6 base with a boost to 3.x  designed to keep it form any chance of throttling would work but would agian later in the gen lead to the gpu being hindered 

again so this is all not negative props on the gddr5 8 gig did not expect that, and it will be very interesting to see how that ends up being used and how it helps the cpu. I had been expecting at best 4 gig ddr 3 for the cpu and 2-3 gig gddr5 for the gpu , but realistically  4 gig ddr3 for the cpu and 1 gig gddr5  they blew that away and bravo to them

it would be nice to know what gpu family line the custom chip came from  tahiti or pitcarin 

upon reflection of the gpu id like to know the break down of how it was modified/clustered a bit more... it could be more powerful than we think for gaming with some of its gpucompute removed if the right optimizations were made, AMDs 7xxx series chips have left  some gaming on the table to ramp up the gpucompute and costimization could boost performance drastically . could be up to a 7890 performanc  (should have been called a 7930 to avoid chip confusion but both gpu makes seem to hate customers understanding what they are buying )

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Sony Releases Complete PS4 Specifications

PS4 is equipped with 8 GB of unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform.  GDDR5 is used for this memory, giving the system 176 GB/second of bandwidth and providing a further boost to graphics performance. The end result for gamers is new games with rich, high-fidelity graphics and deeply immersive experiences that shatter expectations.

The Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) has been enhanced in a number of ways, principally to allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as physics simulation.  The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.

Sony have released the complete specifications of the PS4. You can check it out below:

Main Processor 
Single-chip custom processor
CPU :  x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”,  8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS,  AMD next-generation Radeon™ based
graphics engine

Memory 
GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive 
Built-in

Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX

Communication 
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output 
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

*Specifications are subject to change without notice.

Source

I knew it was going to have somewhere from a 5 to 8 GB RAM and I knew it would have AMD CPU & GPU (it keeps the cost down)

i called it.

The rumor of 8 core CPU is right on the money.

Now if only I had made a bit with someone, then I would be more happy about how accurate I was about the PS4 specs.

Does anyone know how much internal hard drive memory it will have for at least 1 model?

I'm guessing maybe 500 GB.

I love how sony doesn't hide its specs.

Ssliasil said:
8GB DDR5 Ram...how in the single hottest hell is that even remotely possible? I've been fixated on this fact since they announced it...This level of RAM alone runs off the production lines at $1200+...I uhh..what the hell!!

SONY Y U DO IMPOSSIBRU!!?

Now I actually want to know the price badly.

Im guessing E3 is when we hear what they are gonna charge.

goddog said:

the rummored 1.6 would not cut it. go back and look at the IPC of the liniage there yes it has imporved but it needs to be about 15-20% higher clock than comparable intel chips to get close to same leve of output (depeding on work type) even with "8 cores" you will have issues with some games playing at 1.6  . go ahead try out cpu bound games like skrim or civilization, while it will not hurt all games, it will lead to hampering the gpu and limiting the ability to use all resources (throttle a cpu back and play them its not hard to do) and in some cases make them unplayable. 

now if its an idle of 1.6 with throttling under load of up to say 4.x  depending on thermals that would work, but could lead to inconsistant game play among consoles 

more practically 1.6 base with a boost to 3.x  designed to keep it form any chance of throttling would work but would agian later in the gen lead to the gpu being hindered 

again so this is all not negative props on the gddr5 8 gig did not expect that, and it will be very interesting to see how that ends up being used and how it helps the cpu. I had been expecting at best 4 gig ddr 3 for the cpu and 2-3 gig gddr5 for the gpu , but realistically  4 gig ddr3 for the cpu and 1 gig gddr5  they blew that away and bravo to them

it would be nice to know what gpu family line the custom chip came from  tahiti or pitcarin 

upon reflection of the gpu id like to know the break down of how it was modified/clustered a bit more... it could be more powerful than we think for gaming with some of its gpucompute removed if the right optimizations were made, AMDs 7xxx series chips have left  some gaming on the table to ramp up the gpucompute and costimization could boost performance drastically . could be up to a 7890 performanc  (should have been called a 7930 to avoid chip confusion but both gpu makes seem to hate customers understanding what they are buying )

while what your saying may have a bearing, and like you stated we do not know how its set yet in the design, what i do know is if it's anything like they did with the PSVita's 3D TSV i do not think the process will be bottlenecked due to the fact that since the GPU is in the same Die as the CPU and the Ram is also a 3D stacked TSV inside the same SOC package connected via a powerful High speed wide Bus there really would not be a real bottle neck to offload the problem to say a n. or S. bridge like you Have in some designs because every connection is less stepping cycles required.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Slimebeast said:
UltimateUnknown said:
So how does the Wii U compare to it?

Wii U is 1.5 x X360 (barely)

PS4 is 5.5 x Wii U

thats only if your counting gflops, what about CPU, ram speed, amount of ram and type of ram, it's more like a 10x jump.