By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Full PlayStation 4 specifications

its an odd mishmash of high end on the ram, upper mid range on the gpu, and lower midrange on the cpu ...

using the gddr5 will help hide issues in the cpu but i still feel twoards the end of its life the "eight core" (4 module ) will actually limit what the gpu can do. it will be an interesting switch form this gen where the ram and then gpus were the choke points. and due to the design of the cores, if a game is not programed to take advantage of how the 4 modules operate they could actually slow down the performance below that of a quad core as has been shown on ars in the past.

it will be interesting to see where they take this, at least programming support will be easier... though if they had used intel could have been much easier ....

stupid fake 8 cores .... but then all about arguing what makes a core....

so i guess in summary the ram is a neat choice, the gpu is not as high end as i hopped but not a POS and since its custom may have trick up its sleave
and the cpu leaves a lot to be desired (are we 100% on its clock speed yet)

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:

^^^^^A LOT of Nintendo fans (including myself) will be eating TONIGHT!!!

Elaborate

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

goddog said:
its an odd mishmash of high end on the ram, upper mid range on the gpu, and lower midrange on the cpu ...

using the gddr5 will help hide issues in the cpu but i still feel twoards the end of its life the "eight core" (4 module ) will actually limit what the gpu can do. it will be an interesting switch form this gen where the ram and then gpus were the choke points. and due to the design of the cores, if a game is not programed to take advantage of how the 4 modules operate they could actually slow down the performance below that of a quad core as has been shown on ars in the past.

it will be interesting to see where they take this, at least programming support will be easier... though if they had used intel could have been much easier ....

so i guess in summary the ram is a neat choice, the gpu is not as high end as i hopped but not a POS and since its custom may have trick up its sleave

the clock speed is not really going to be that much of a problem if indeed this is a 3D stacked TSV which im pretty sure it is because the CEO over @ Sony back in jan of 2010 Confirmed it as such, and already Sony is using 3D stacked TSV design already for the PSVita.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
Rêveur said:
How does the PS4 compare to the leaked specs of the Xbox720? Is the PS4 supposed to be more powerful? I'm not too knowledgeable about all this stuff.

The meaningful difference is the GPU. Rumors say the X720 has a weak ass GPU. So PS4 will be 50% faster than the X720 which doesn't bode well for parity of multiplatform games (X720 will hold them down).

PS4 8x X360

X720 only 5.5x X360

But they have comparable CPUs and RAM (though the PS4 wins here too). I say let's not judge anything Xbox Next related because MS could very well up the specs now that Sony's are official.

But there were talks of Durango GPUs already being in semi-full production early this year (30K or so) and that they had a very tight schedule if they were going to meet a Nov release target.

And so far rumours have proven to be quite accurate.

I'm betting X720 will go for the slower RAM and a 1.2 TFLOP GPU because MS is so much about casual market nowadays and they're trying to keep the multiplat COD dudebro market by beating Sony with a cheaper entry price.

What's the incentive for MS to make a powerful machine only for Halo? They know multiplat publishers will make a smooth X720 version of all their titles even for a slightly slower console.

Aldro said:
What I dont understand is how on earth they are gonna keep this price below 599. I mean this is ..GOOD shit.

When ps3 was announced blu ray was new now it's much more less expensive and this time there is not a cell processor.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

So much awesome news, loving they have decided to finally bundle a headset with every PS4. Tons of good stuff today.

goddog said:

WOW.

This kinda post is the perfect example of spreading the wrong information, yet making as if what you are saying is true.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

theARTIST0017 said:
IamAwsome said:

^^^^^A LOT of Nintendo fans (including myself) will be eating TONIGHT!!!

Elaborate

A lot of people (mostly Nintendo fans, and EVERYONE on NeoGAF said that the PS4 wouldn't have more than 4 GB of DDR5 RAM). 

So how does the Wii U compare to it?

For PS4 I am thinking $449 too and Sony making a slight loss of $50 on each unit.

Meanwhile MS will sell the weaker X720 for $399 at break-even and thereby attract the casuals and COD kids, who are known to be very price sensitive but poor at judging long term costs like Xbox Live subscriptions. MS strategy is to attract with low entry price and milk them later.