By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Vita start outselling WiiU now?

Which console will come out on top this year?

WiiU 256 51.51%

Vita 135 27.16%

They will be about even 49 9.86%

No idea 35 7.04%

Show results 22 4.43%

Total:497
Sensei said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Sensei said:
I stand by my prediction that PS Vita will outsell Wii U. Lifetime.

You're crazy! 

Maybe I am. But let's look at this scenario:

Vita's competition is already out at crushing strength (3DS, DS and even its brother PSP hurting its sales in Japan). I don't see it getting worse for the Vita. In fact it should improve as 3DS saturates market, PSP support ends in Japan, and PS Vita price naturally drops as its library increases.

Wii U however is pretty much alone. It's the one supposed to have the hype on its side, yet it is being eclipsed by the previous gen PS360. Can you imagine what is going to happen when PS4 and 720 are out at full force / full hype, and PS360 are even cheaper? This could put the Wii U in a critical situation.

That's my thoughts too be honest.... But many people did write off the PS3 (like they currently are with the Vita)... So there is still time to rescue it... though it is going to be potentially a difficult year for them if they are not careful and dont have the games ready to show for E3 (no fireworks displays :).

My biggest problem with the device is that is is totally underpowered...  unlike the Vita.. which is good honest hardcore tech, and it can do a PS3... slow years and improve (as long as its supported right). No reason why it cannot do a PS3... but the Wii-u running tech that is just a little better than current HD machines of 6 or 7 years, could really be its undoing. Can I see people wanting a a Wii-u in two or three years time... I just dont see it... I just dont think it will have the legs.

Around the Network

why is this even a comparison? its kinda like saying which one will sell more apple or oranges or am i missing something.

I was first to call it that Vita will outsell Wii U in the period January - September. We know nothing about the Christmas period for these consoles, so we really can only guess, but I think that this Christmas will belong to PS4 and X720. Vita should also get some sales, as it will finally be cheap, while Wii U will be stuck in the dead land. Much more expensive than Vita, much weaker and underhyped compared to PS4/X720.

My guesses:
Vita sells more Jan-Sept.
Christmas period is for the taking, Nintendo will most likely release so heavy hitters, but they will be competing with two different beasts, so Vita may quietly continue to outsell Wii U.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
I was first to call it that Vita will outsell Wii U in the period January - September. We know nothing about the Christmas period for these consoles, so we really can only guess, but I think that this Christmas will belong to PS4 and X720. Vita should also get some sales, as it will finally be cheap, while Wii U will be stuck in the dead land. Much more expensive than Vita, much weaker and underhyped compared to PS4/X720.

My guesses:
Christmas period is for the taking, Nintendo will most likely release so heavy hitters, but they will be competing with two different beasts, so Vita may quietly continue to outsell Wii U.

doubt it.  While they should have good launches, fact is, price remains king.  Wii U delayed launch until 2012, hoping for PS360 fatigue, and even those old consoles are still selling, mainly due to their lower cost (ps3 & 360 had 2-3 game bundled w/console FFS).  Wii U will have high profile games and a price drop (guessing Nintyland preinstalled) to combat those new consoles, and should win the holidays.

Sensei said:
I stand by my prediction that PS Vita will outsell Wii U. Lifetime.

So far you're right.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Haha no.. There is a small chance Vita outsells it for like a month thanks to Ubisoft yanking Wii U's only big release until mid March, but once March rolls around and we start to get games like Monster Hunter and Lego, Wii U is going to outsell it by a large margin and never look back. So enjoy the next month I guess..

I don't think these games will have a lasting effect on sales, but we will see:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152379

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

RazorDragon said:

Vita has been a low seller for a whole year now. I don't think a price cut can save it anymore from being the lowest next-gen seller. Wonderswan had a low price and got awesome japanese games, and still it sold quite badly when it was alive. 

I don't quite understand the comparison. The Vita has already outsold the Wonderswan (in Japan alone) in only just over 1 year on sale while Wonderswan was available for more time. It even had Final Fantasy games while the Vita had none yet. Vita has in one year a library that is almost as large (larger if we consider PSP and PSone games).

Also considering Sony never abandoned its platforms, and no Sony platform ever sold below 70M, we have to see how many repeated failures it will take for Sony to finally give up on it. I say not any soon.

Even if there is a small sustained boost the WiiU at best it would match WiiU numbers, but the WiiU would outsell it during the holidays.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

With what games? What does it have that compares to stuff like a new Mario platformer or Mario Kart...?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

se7en7thre3 said:
Scisca said:

My guesses:

doubt it.  While they should have good launches, fact is, price remains king.  Wii U delayed launch until 2012, hoping for PS360 fatigue, and even those old consoles are still selling, mainly due to their lower cost (ps3 & 360 had 2-3 game bundled w/console FFS).  Wii U will have high profile games and a price drop (guessing Nintyland preinstalled) to combat those new consoles, and should win the holidays.

This Christmas people won't be buying conoles based on reason, but based on hype. Wii U is underhyped and I can't see that changing, while MS and Sony will start the craziest campaigns the industry has ever seen (I expect that mainly from MS). I wouln't say Nintendo delayed the launch of Wii U. If anything, it looked like it was rushed just to get it out for Christmas, which is even more shocking considering what we find out about the specs. Wii U may outsell Vita this Christmas, but there is no way in hell it's going to battle the next consoles from Sony and MS. Not in the hottest weeks. Look where it is now, it will improve but you can't reasonably argue that it will dominate next Christmas, it will most probably bounce back in early 2014 when competition will enter the "no games" period. I think that Wii U will still be battling Vita in 2013, which hopefully starts to sell now. Wii U will get big 1st party games, but Vita will be much cheaper, will already have a very good library and will also get some new big titles - a game from Sony Bend is a given, we'll see what else, I'm still hoping for Phantom Pain to be a Vita exclusive this Christmas, maybe they can even release that bloody FFX HD by that time?

I still think that this year we're going to see two couples battling each other, PS4 vs. X720 and Wii U vs. Vita. Next year is a mistery and it's too early to predict anything.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.