By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita price dropped to $199 (both Wifi & 3G models). FFX HD shown, release date to be announced soon.

Thoughts?

Vita is saved 130 31.10%

Won't do much 76 18.18%

Short lived boost 95 22.73%

Will increase baseline sales a little 117 27.99%

Total:418
Wagram said:
The Vita's problem was never the price. It is and still remains to be the games.

Ever since 3DS got the emergency price cut, price has been a problem for the Vita.  Though, it's probably only 50% of the problem.  Games are the other 50%.  I expect Sony to deliver on the games, though.  Just started off slow, like with the PS3.

Around the Network

After doing a little research, here's how long it took some consoles to get a price cut (in Japan):
Xbox - 3 months
3DS - 6 months
DSi - 7 months
Sega Saturn - 7 months
Dreamcast - 7 months
PS1 - 8 months
N64 - 9 months
Gamecube - 9 months
GBA - 11 months
PSP Go - 1 year
PS3 - 1 year
PS2 - 1 year 2 months
PSVita - 1 year 2 months

The PSV price cut is comparatively quite late, and not surprising at all if you look at it this way.

Final Fantasy X HD remake looks great. Can't wait to see a release date.

When you look back at how quickly Sony dropped the price of the PS3, which had its first price drop in 8 months in the US and a total of two $100 price cuts on two different models, two discontinued models, and the introduction of a $200 cheaper model - all in the span of one year, it's clear, considering how low Vita's sales are, that Sony didn't take action sooner because their financial state wasn't what it was in 2007.

Still, I really don't foresee this having a profound long-term impact on sales without the combination of the right games, but FFX certainly can't hurt.

Will probably need a slim for major improvements in sales.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
halil23 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Both are $199? What does the WiFi only model have added to it to make up for lacking 3G to justify being the same price?

I know, I don't get it.

Thus why I select : Won't do much

Heck, the games that just announce will give a bigger boost than some odd price-cut!

The price cut isn't that odd. Both systems are now far cheaper then they were before and that is all that realy matters. The actual 3G chip is not very expensive at all, but ultimately i think the equal pricing is probably because one of the models is about to be discontinued.

halil23 said:
teigaga said:
halil23 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Both are $199? What does the WiFi only model have added to it to make up for lacking 3G to justify being the same price?

I know, I don't get it.

Thus why I select : Won't do much

Heck, the games that just announce will give a bigger boost than some odd price-cut!

The price cut isn't that odd. Both systems are now far cheaper then they were before and that is all that realy matters. The actual 3G chip is not very expensive at all, but ultimately i think the equal pricing is probably because one of the models is about to be discontinued.

The base model didn't get a price cut, only 3G. Weird considering base sells more than 3G. So I stand by my words that this is odd!!

Both systems are now ¥19,980. The Wi-Fi model used to cost ¥24,980 and the 3G ¥29,980

thismeintiel said:
Wagram said:
The Vita's problem was never the price. It is and still remains to be the games.

Ever since 3DS got the emergency price cut, price has been a problem for the Vita.  Though, it's probably only 50% of the problem.  Games are the other 50%.  I expect Sony to deliver on the games, though.  Just started off slow, like with the PS3.

There is already big games coming : Soul Sacrifice( an ambitious and original game which seems epic), Killzone ( a solid FPS which seems near to become the best handled FPS ) and TearAway ( the new media molecule IP, an original little open world which seems ambitious in the concept)

And i'm sure we'll have some new announcements soon, like Shahid told me.

Sony makes original and innovating games for their console since the launch, its one of the reason why i prefer VIta over the 3DS

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

The 3g being the same price as the base model is quite odd.

Either way, I dont expect a sizable bump in sales beyond a few weeks. 3Ds is firmly settled as Japans handheld.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I find it funny that Europeans cry at prices, but they almost never actually pay that full price. Can't find a Vita for less than $250 anywhere in the US.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.