By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita price dropped to $199 (both Wifi & 3G models). FFX HD shown, release date to be announced soon.

Thoughts?

Vita is saved 130 31.10%

Won't do much 76 18.18%

Short lived boost 95 22.73%

Will increase baseline sales a little 117 27.99%

Total:418

it makes sense to drop the price in japan since there are games to coming to it and has a good line up. but in the rest of the world it would be stupid to drop the price, and if they do it would be even more stupid to drop it to just 199$. if any bump in sales needs to happen they should sell it for 179$. that way it would seem much lower than its original 250$ price tag. also outside of japan the system is getting nothing soon, except soul sacrifice, and thats not really gonna help sales outside of japan. they should wait until august and cut the price then to 179$. with killzone, tearaway and fifa coming out

Around the Network

did they announce any new games for this?

Kasz216 said:
BaldrSkies said:
tbone51 said:
KingHades said:
ironmanDX said:
Otakumegane said:

We got the Price-drop, now Vita needs its games.

It has plenty of games, hell, it even has games for free. Games can no longer be used as an excuse, can it?

Games are not the excuse.

Killer apps are what  they need Monster Hunter and Memory Card price Drop to officialy spark sales in Japan.

A better Call of Duty game would help in the US.

Declassified is considered the worst Vita game and has sold 600k and will most likely reach 1mil. Now imagine if that game was actually good how many people would have bought it.

thy definitely need a killer app, MH4 is now a 3DS exclusive so Vita wont get it, They would of announced it already, anyway GTA5 can still be the killer app in NoA+Europe

I should point out that while Nintendo has acquired exclusivity over the Monster Hunter series for the time being, they have not acquired the Monster Hunter Portable series. The foreign titles and limited releases make the naming and series somewhat confusing for those outside Japan, but Monster Hunter Portable 3 has absolutely nothing to do with Monster Hunter 3 or 3G. Simply being on a portable console does not place the game in the Portable series either. Of course Capcom would never announce a Monster Hunter Portable 4 game while there is still big money to be made on Monster Hunter 4.

The two most successful Monster Hunter games by far are Monster Hunter Portable 2G and Monster Hunter Portable 3.

Sorta sounds like Wishfull thinking on your part.  Monster Hunter Portable 3 wasn't an updated Monster unter Tri or 3G, but it is still a Monster Hunter game.

The Portable titles came about because it was on the PSP.  Playstation Portable.  

A good paralel would be the Megaman games back when the Gameboy Megaman games were totally different then the console NES games.  They were still part of the Megaman franchise.

I'm not saying your wrong, but it's pure conjecture at this point

The Portable titles basically branched off into their own series after sales success on the PSP, in a method very much like Capcom. They also have little inhibition to place them on home consoles, i.e. putting it on PS3.

I suppose time will ultimately tell. But remember, Capcom is a hen that likes to lay its eggs in a lot of different nests...

BaldrSkies said:
Kasz216 said:
BaldrSkies said:

The Portable titles basically branched off into their own series after sales success on the PSP, in a method very much like Capcom. They also have little inhibition to place them on home consoles, i.e. putting it on PS3.

I suppose time will ultimately tell. But remember, Capcom is a hen that likes to lay its eggs in a lot of different nests...

I'm not getting what you are basing that claim on.

Something being popular doesn't suddenly make it it's own series.

The gameboy Megaman games were still part of the Megaman series.

Console and DS animal crossing games are both popular.  They're still the same series though, even when there content doesn;t match up.

NiKKoM said:

So FFX

meh?

The assets are better than in the original (check a non-cutscene close up of Yuna's face in the original game, it's much worse. Or their fingers). It's already more than what most remasters get.

The video was not HD and it didn't show any real gameplay, so I can see why it would seem underwhelming.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:
This will certainly lift baseline sales to a certain degree. I don't know where the notion of "price cuts only provide temporary boosts" came from but it's wrong. The PS3's 2009 price cut + slim combo lifted baseline sales a lot and Wii's 2009 price cut lifted baseline sales as well - sales just went down in 2010 because of a lack of games. The 3DS price cut spurred sales a lot. You just need games to back the price cut up and keep momentum high.

In Vita's case it will be a price cut + some games (at least in Japan) so sales will increase. If the price cut doesn't lift baseline sales at all it will be a clear indicator that the platform is dead - if there is demand a price cut will increase that demand. If a price cut doesn't help there's no demand to begin with. Let's hope that isn't the case. Of course a price cut won't do miracles so I agree with most of you guys on this one.

Here's hope for cheaper memory cards. Do it Sony, it'll give you at least one more customer

I've been saying very often for awhile that they should cut all memory card prices in half and introduce a 64gb card for $75 while discontinuing the 4gb one.  Digital Distribution is being pushed on this platform with plus and crossbuy and we will need the space if this system is going to be around for years to come.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

pezus said:
This is surprising...

I thought they were going to announce a drop in two days :O. They'll do it for America and Europe possibly then.

probably wanted to get the news of this out so PS4 didn't overshadow it and no one would notice.  After they announced PS4 they would have to scream over the applause that Vita was getting a pricecut and no one would care, and if they tried doing it before PS4 in the conference everyone would just be wanting them to hurry up and get to PS4

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Those FFX HD screenshots are really disappointing. I can get a better texture definition on the characters with a 3x scaling on the HW plugin and it seems that the background textures are pretty much the same as the PS2 FFX.

I was really expecting FFX HD, but I need to see more.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

this may help in Japan, i could see a few games and a price drop making a significant difference there. Honestly though, in the west it's a different story. The vita at $200 is nothing new in the US and 200 euro in europe is nothing new either. The sales have been so bad many retailers have been selling it for that much already, and during christmas there was deals with games for $200.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

pezus said:
So why is it taking Square Enix years to do this FFX HD thing? It took Sony Santa Monica a few weeks to do GoW 1+2 HD...

Incompetancy. Perfect word to describe SE this gen.