By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 9th February 2013 (Global Software added)

gigantor21 said:

Wait, so the PS Vita AND the PSP are outselling the Wii U in Europe? The fuck?

EDIT: Whoops, that's in software not hardware. I got scared for a second. XD

PSP outselling anything at this point is a very bad sign lol.  People really want that jump and I think they just look at WiiU and say "I already have HD consoles no thanks" instead of where Wii they didn't care about graphics and said "look mom you just have to swing the controller like a normal tennis racket!"  There's just no excitement.  I say "the WiiU just came out its got a tablet controller and HD graphics" and people respond with "oh...cool" I just don't sense any excitement.  I'll only pick it up at $200 when Mario Kart, 3d Mario, Zelda, SSB, and DKC are out and hopefully down in price too (although knowing Nintendo even if I buy it 3 years from now and they all came out in 2013 they will still be $50)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Global up now

Holy shit @ the Dragon Warrior VII remake. That shit is no joke in Japan.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Conegamer said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Conegamer said:
ethomaz said:

Conegamer said:

20% down YoY is not "great", and if it continues, would put it at around 3 mil less than your prediction which you linked yesterday.

I have a plan

Price cut... GoW, TLoU, Beyond, GTA, BioShock, CoD, FIFA, etc.

Because clearly games are boosting sales so far. Dead Space 3 didn't stop it from falling. I know it ain't huge, but it's bigger that Beyond probably and around the same as Bioshock no doubt. And CoD/FIFA happen every year, so surely it'll have helped last year as much as this one?

one price cut will be enough and you know it. 

Because a price cut really helped the Wii out (which was selling around the same as the PS3, perhaps slightly better), didn't it?

A price cut will probably boost sales for a month or so, but then it'll settle down again. If you think a price cut will be a magical cure which will give it an extra 2 mil or so this year, then I'm sorry to disappoint you but it won't happen.

i would make a bet with u but i just dont care enough xd

radiantshadow92 said:
Conegamer said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Conegamer said:
ethomaz said:

Conegamer said:

20% down YoY is not "great", and if it continues, would put it at around 3 mil less than your prediction which you linked yesterday.

I have a plan

Price cut... GoW, TLoU, Beyond, GTA, BioShock, CoD, FIFA, etc.

Because clearly games are boosting sales so far. Dead Space 3 didn't stop it from falling. I know it ain't huge, but it's bigger that Beyond probably and around the same as Bioshock no doubt. And CoD/FIFA happen every year, so surely it'll have helped last year as much as this one?

one price cut will be enough and you know it. 

Because a price cut really helped the Wii out (which was selling around the same as the PS3, perhaps slightly better), didn't it?

A price cut will probably boost sales for a month or so, but then it'll settle down again. If you think a price cut will be a magical cure which will give it an extra 2 mil or so this year, then I'm sorry to disappoint you but it won't happen.

i would make a bet with u but i just dont care enough xd

You could, but you'd only lose. Judging by other comments in this thread and others, the overwhelming majority agree with me.

I mean, out of curiosity, what bet could you even make? A price cut will increase sales regardless, and we wouldn't be able to tell what sales would be without it.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
Mnementh said:
MonstaMack said:
gigantor21 said:
Mnementh said:
gigantor21 said:

I'm going to be watching those Dead Space numbers closely. They say it needs 5 million total...judging by how the last two games in the series sold, I doubt it.

They need 5 million for what? To make profit?

EA said outright that they aren't going to invest anymore into the franchise if it doesn't hit those numbers.

Apparently, the 2-3 million that the last two games each got isn't good enough for them. I don't play Dead Space, but I find that disturbing.

This is correct. They want 5+ million for both platforms combined otherwise there may be no more Dead Space games. They also have made the games more action oriented to increase sales.

I don't care for the franchise, but that is undeserved for the fans and the devs. The game is selling in the millions, that is great and absolutely sustainable for an AAA-franchise.

It's just another great franchise ruined by EA greed/market direction.

EA has killed off a lot of franchises. They will continue to hurt other franchises as well.

EA was most likely responsible for the fall of Bioware (DA2 not fairing well, ME3 ending fiasco)

EA not doing anything with the Burnout franchise (Burnout Crash lol, and having Criterion direct all the NFS games. Burnout Paradise was open world where as all the old Burnouts were pure course crashing fun.)

Don't even get me started on all The Sims expansion/DLC cash cowing.

And of course EA turning Dead Space into a action oriented franchise with a sprinkle of jump scares for "sales". Dead Space 1 vs Dead Space 3 differences are staggering. Not to say I didn't enjoy DS3 because I did, but it could have been so much more. DS1 was a near 10/10 for me, DS2 a 9/10 and DS3 is barely a 8/10 for me and I do mean barely.

Last Skate game was pretty bad to.

I'd say their best Franchise for quality and money is probably Battlefield, though the last campaign was laughable.

Don't forget about how they destroyed the much loved Command and Conquer franchise.

ME was destroyed the moment EA sank their teeth into it starting with ME2 and culminating in ME3 ... will probably get even worse from here somehow.

Dead Space was never a good game imo (a non-scary horror/action game that was very derivative of Resident Evil 4), but it deserves better than this. The transformation to pure action is complete in Dead Space 3 (I think I realized it when my buddy and I wanted to encounter more and more monsters just so we had some fun action to provide entertainment value).A 5 million sales expectation is absurd ... and it is a sign that EA has milked this franchise dry.

I'll agree that Battlefield is about the only quality game they have left ... and that is mostly because the publisher and the developer and the intended audience are on the same page. All three want an action game with online multiplayer as the main focus. Battlefield is, in no way, attempting to be something it is not. It lacks the identity crisis that plagues Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Dead Space.

MonstaMack said:
gigantor21 said:
Mnementh said:
gigantor21 said:

I'm going to be watching those Dead Space numbers closely. They say it needs 5 million total...judging by how the last two games in the series sold, I doubt it.

They need 5 million for what? To make profit?

EA said outright that they aren't going to invest anymore into the franchise if it doesn't hit those numbers.

Apparently, the 2-3 million that the last two games each got isn't good enough for them. I don't play Dead Space, but I find that disturbing.

This is correct. They want 5+ million for both platforms combined otherwise there may be no more Dead Space games. They also have made the games more action oriented to increase sales.

I guess I can kiss this series good-bye :(

VGKing said:
ethomaz said:

Conegamer said:

The comparasion is not fair... a dead console with the PS3... a price cut for PS3 will hold for a long time yet.

What about the PS3s price drop in 2011? It didn't really do anything major for it.

It definitely did something for it.  Though, I guess you are right that it wasn't massive.  It did allow the PS3 to be up 6%, or ~425K, YOY from the week the price cut took place to the end of the year.  I imagine it would have been flat, or slightly down, if there was no cut.  Of course, $199 is a really good sweet spot to hit.  It should have the same impact, most likely more, than the drop to $249.  It just looks more pleasing to the eye of consumers, especially compared to the now $269 Super Slim.  A most likely $149 Black Friday SKU won't hurt, either.

I've added Global Software

Hm...
So Fire Emblem did 30k outside the US last week and Animal Crossing still in the top 10 I see. :)

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David