By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

NintendoPie said:

If people are still enjoying the series, what's wrong with a bi-/yearly release? Nothing, I tell you, nothing.

You can start whining about "Mario is so milked!" once Nintendo start releasing more than one in the time span of a few (like 3 or so) months.

It's not the frequency at which Mario games release, it's the quality that they return.

Super Mario Galaxy, is not milked, it's a very enjoyable series. Same with Mario Kart, Super Mario Land, and Mario Tennis/Sports.

However Mario Party is so badly milked, they killed the cow. Honestly since Mario Party 2 the series has been going downhill, and after 4, I think Nintendo just said "F it, people buy Mario Party regardless." Minigames are re-hased, new rules to gameplay often make the experience worse instead of better, and people dn't care. MP8 sold the best out of the series, and while better then MP6 and 7, it's still not that good.

I also think New Super Mario Bros is milked too. They made it a WiiU launch game because they could develop it quickly, and the reason why I think the game is milked is because new iterations aren't really that unique. NSMB Wii has no different worlds then NSBM DS, and a few levels which incorporate Wii Motion controls, but essentially, it's a lesser game then Super Mario Bros 3/World. NSMB 3DS has a weird coin concept, but still no snow worlds, no really unique levels, no crazy suits.

So yea, some Mario is milked, but not all. I wish it wasn't Mario Party though, MP2 is my favorite game of all time, and I still play it with buddies over beers.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Mensrea said:
Lately, Mario has been milked way way more than usual. Especially on 3DS. I know he's the biggest gaming franchise in the world, but Nintendo used to practice a bit more moderation. I think several series should be cut.

All sports spinoffs need to go, they are no good, usually don't sell that well, and they make for an over saturated Mario world.

Mario Party games should be axed as well, seriously, these are crap. Mario used to stand for quality, and these once again aid to his over milked image.

The only Mario games Nintendo should be making IMO: 2D plats, 1 a console/3D plats, make as many as you want they are so good/Paper Mario, only make if it's a traditional RPG, no more of that SPM or SS crap/Mario Kart 1 a console.

Those are really the only Mario games that should be made, but the catch is that they MUST be good. Look at the 3DS. You have the weakest 3d plat, the weakest 2d plat, the weakest RPG, and a very weak Mario Kart. Mario really had a poor showing on the console. Mario tennis didn't help the situation. :/

Woah, woah, woah! They can't cut Mario Tennis! I need my Mario Tennis, man! There'd be nothing to take its place! Its unique gameplay sets it apart from pretty much every other game in the genre, and its GBC/GBA versions had the most fulfilling story modes of any other sport videogame ever! That said, the 3DS version doesn't seems pretty half assed. I'm still waiting for another console title, though.

Oh, and Mario Tennis(wii) sold around 1.4mil. Not half bad for a port. Actually, all of the Mario sports titles are regular millions sellers.

Let me put it this way, if Keanu Reeves were to play a surfer every single time in every movie or tv series, and people don't mind, then he'd be the best actor that ever lived.

Why not present some data about the number of Mario games vs other franchises that are or are not considered to be milked?

Otherwise it's just opinion.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I love boobs.

Boobs produce milk.

Therefore, I love Mario.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

I belive they put mario in the title so that the games sell. It is better that there is a good game with mario that sells so we get a sequel than if there is no mario and no sales of the game. I say he is milked, but not in a bad way... if that is possible :p

I don't care if it's milked or not. I like Mario games.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

NO It is not. I want more mario.

one every 6 months... with spin off every year!

Switch!!!

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

Never heard of any of those games. And no, the IP I listed are not "pitiful" these are major PS3 exclusives.

You asked for characters, not games.

What did I tell you about Sony trolling in the past? That's right, don't do it. Don't label the IPs you listed as major PS3 exclusives when some of them hardly make a blip on the radar. You are being disrespectful of Sony.

That's where you're wrong. These are major Sony IP. 2012 was a weak year for Sony. All-Stars was arguably the most anticipated exclusive last year. It was their holiday title. Just because a game doesn't sell well, it doesn't mean it's not good or that isn't a major exclusive. 

Not every PS3 exclusive can sell like Uncharted 3 or Gran Turismo 5. That doesn't mean they're not relevant. Do you know about Playstation All-Stars? Yeah, you do. Everyone knows what it is. That's the thing though, you must take risks and sometimes they won't pay off. Not every game can sell like a Mario game. That doens't mean Nintendo shouldn't try something new. 

VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

Never heard of any of those games. And no, the IP I listed are not "pitiful" these are major PS3 exclusives.

You asked for characters, not games.

What did I tell you about Sony trolling in the past? That's right, don't do it. Don't label the IPs you listed as major PS3 exclusives when some of them hardly make a blip on the radar. You are being disrespectful of Sony.

That's where you're wrong. These are major Sony IP. 2012 was a weak year for Sony. All-Stars was arguably the most anticipated exclusive last year. It was their holiday title. Just because a game doesn't sell well, it doesn't mean it's not good or that isn't a major exclusive. 

Not every PS3 exclusive can sell like Uncharted 3 or Gran Turismo 5. That doesn't mean they're not relevant. Do you know about Playstation All-Stars? Yeah, you do. Everyone knows what it is. That's the thing though, you must take risks and sometimes they won't pay off. Not every game can sell like a Mario game. That doens't mean Nintendo shouldn't try something new. 

Nintendo tries new things every gen, but apparently because they don't sell as well as Mario, Zelda or Metroid, people like you ignore them and keep saying all Nintendo does is make the same franchises.

So what you just said in your post regarding Sony, doesn't count for Nintendo, apparently.