By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

MDMAlliance said:

LittleBigPlanet can be placed as a last gen game, you know.  I don't really know much about the others.  I also looked up Heavy Rain and it seems like it's owned by a second party developer, but I mean that probably still counts but then you can add a good few others to Nintendo's list this way too.  

You're obviously biased and don't want to admit that you're wrong.  

Every game published by Sony is owned by Sony. Like Ratchet & Clank developed by a 3rd party company but the rights to the name/charcters goes to Sony.

LittleBigPlanet is a new ip!! what the hell are you smoking?

Around the Network

WTH?!?! why you no respect cardboard???

Deyon said:
MDMAlliance said:

LittleBigPlanet can be placed as a last gen game, you know.  I don't really know much about the others.  I also looked up Heavy Rain and it seems like it's owned by a second party developer, but I mean that probably still counts but then you can add a good few others to Nintendo's list this way too.  

Every game published by Sony is owned by Sony. Like Ratchet & Clank developed by a 3rd party company but the rights to the name/charcters goes to Sony.

LittleBigPlanet is a new ip!! what the hell are you smoking?

If every game published by a company will be considered an IP for that company, Nintendo's IP list increases as well.  So I guess Bayonetta is now a Nintendo IP because it's being published by Nintendo?  

Also, LittleBigPlanet released on the PSP, and the Vita has been out for over a year now (at least in Japan, getting there globally).  It definitely qualifies as a last-gen IP.

Mario is milked to sell games like golf as he has been since the NES days. He's not over milked, and I would actually like to see 2 or 3 NSMB games per system instead of 1, albeit with a bit more originality. We get 3 uncharteds, 2 halos, annual CODs but only 1 NSMB in a Gen. 2 Galaxys was a nice up in production for 3D Mario.

MDMAlliance said:

If every game published by a company will be considered an IP for that company, Nintendo's IP list increases as well.  So I guess Bayonetta is now a Nintendo IP because it's being published by Nintendo?  

Also, LittleBigPlanet released on the PSP, and the Vita has been out for over a year now (at least in Japan, getting there globally).  It definitely qualifies as a last-gen IP.

Nintendo and Sony are different.

When Sony publishes a game by a 2nd/3rd party developer THEY HOLD the rights to that game. Thats how they do business.

When Nintendo publishes a game by a 2nd/3rd party developer THEY DO NOT hold the rights to that game/franchise. Bayonetta is not owned by Nintendo, Sega still holds the rights to it.

LittleBigPlanet came out in 2008 on the PS3, that makes it a new ip.

Around the Network

Mario was milked over a decade ago at this point it's just over kill. But they are going to keep whoring it out and pumping out multiple games every year like they have been doing for 20 years

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Deyon said:

Lets see.

Same name, same graphics, same gameplay (majority) and it comes out every 6months.

I say it's milked.

This part is factually wrong. I don't give a damn about the rest of the argument, but admit that it was moronic to say this.

NSMB games play differently from 3D Mario games play differently from Mario Kart games play differently from Paper Mario and so forth. There is no excess of games with the same gameplay; only 2 2D Marios per generation and only one on each platform, for example. This is a hell lot better than, say, Sony IPs.

You were wrong for this part. Outright factually wrong. Don't care whether or not he's actually milked, but I'd rather you admit that you got this wrong.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
Deyon said:

Lets see.

Same name, same graphics, same gameplay (majority) and it comes out every 6months.

I say it's milked.

This part is factually wrong. I don't give a damn about the rest of the argument, but admit that it was moronic to say this.

NSMB games play differently from 3D Mario games play differently from Mario Kart games play differently from Paper Mario and so forth. There is no excess of games with the same gameplay; only 2 2D Marios per generation and only one on each platform, for example. This is a hell lot better than, say, Sony IPs.

You were wrong for this part. Outright factually wrong. Don't care whether or not he's actually milked, but I'd rather you admit that you got this wrong.

He won't.

Deyon said:
MDMAlliance said:

Nintendo and Sony are different.

When Sony publishes a game by a 2nd/3rd party developer THEY HOLD the rights to that game. Thats how they do business.

When Nintendo publishes a game by a 2nd/3rd party developer THEY DO NOT hold the rights to that game/franchise. Bayonetta is not owned by Nintendo, Sega still holds the rights to it.

LittleBigPlanet came out in 2008 on the PS3, that makes it a new ip.

Your ignorance and devotion to Sony has blinded you.

For example, White Knight Chronicles was developped exclusively for the PS3, published by Sony Computer Entertainment but the rights belong to Level 5, the developpers.

Crash and Spyro were published by Sony Computer Entertainment in their early beginings. I don't see them exclusively on Sony platforms or Sony to have exclusive rights on the franchise.

Please refrain to using such baseless arguments

MDMAlliance said:
VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:

Wii Sports and Wii Fit don't count. Where is the creativity? Where is the new mascot? At the very least, a new IP would lead to addional characters for the next Smash Bros.

Look, you are a Sony fan. You really aren't the right guy to call for Nintendo making new mascots when the culmination of your prefered company's work is worth next to nothing.

Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole McGrath, Sackboy..etc. 3 of these characters and IP were created this gen. Any notable new characters Nintendo has created recently?

In fact there's a new Sony IP/Character coming in a few months. Joel from The Last of Us. This is at the end of PS3's lifecycle. Sony and new IP go together like peanut butter and jelly.

List of new IP Sony has created this gen
-Uncharted
-The Last of Us
-LittleBigPlanet
-Playstation All-Stars
-Heavy Rain
-Beyond: Two Souls
-The Last Guardian
-inFamous
-Modnation Racers
-Motorstorm

I could go on and list a couple more but these are the most releavnt ones I could think of. 

Of course I'm biased, as so are you. 

And no, I'm not wrong. 1st party is extremely important for a Nintendo console especially considering how they lack 3rd party support.

All those games I listed are major PS3 exclusives.